Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-04-07-WWE-Wrestlemania XXIX] The Rock vs John Cena

Loss

• 11 months later...

WWE Champion The Rock vs John Cena -WrestleMania XXIX

I don’t really remember much from this match because well there is not much that’s memorable. I think this match really hurts Cena’s legacy that he put on such a pedestrian main event on the biggest show of the year and arguably his career. You can blame Rock’s freak intercostal injury all you want but they does not excuse Cena’s soulless performance. These two looked like they were walking through rehearsal out there. The first ten minutes are a total waste. Once Cena goes for his trademark shouldertackles the match at least attempts to tell a story. The story is they both remember everything about the other from last year. So every move gets countered. There’s two problems. First, after two or three times, fans pick up on the pattern and there’s no surprise to the counter because everything gets countered. It becomes routine. Second to compound the problem there’s no struggle. These two fall into each other’s counter. I can’t believe how many shitty counters to FU and Rock Bottom there were. Oh hey Rock, you want to get down from my shoulders, Why sure buddy let me place you down. John is my arm wrapped around your upper torso? Let The Rock turn The People’s Side to you so you can hoist me up on your shoulders you big strapping lad. Yes pro wrestling is a work but Jesus there has to be some semblance of a shoot. Anyways all the usual moves are hit. They play off the 28 finish with Rock going for 5 Knuckle Shuffle and Cena is trying to lure Rock into an FU with a People’s Elbow attempt. The former should have been the finish. Instead it was some lame-ass do-see-do FU that had zero heat. I can’t believe two men so charismatic could have such a bland match.