Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-09-28-ROH-Death Before Dishonor XVI] Jay Lethal vs Will Ospreay

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [2018-09-28-ROH-Death Before Dishonor XVI] Jay Lethal vs Will Ospreay

Easily the best ROH singles match this year which isn't surprising considering it has Will Ospreay in it. Don't get me wrong, I think Jay is a great talent, but Ospreay was the clear star of this match, and maybe that was the point of the story told throughout it. If you have any doubts about WIll Ospreay transitioning very well into a heavyweight, then this match could probably change your mind. No excessive dives, no dangerous spots, just an awesome ROH title match which is what the promotion desperately needs more of, ****1/2.

Brilliant match, Will Ospreay is coming on in leaps and bounds and maturing as a performer and put on one of his most complete performances here. Aggressive, hard hitting and easily went toe to toe with the bigger Jay Lethal. The commentators kept alluding to this being a 'new' Will Ospreay and he certainly evolving into a different and in my opinion, much improved beast. Jay Lethal certainly held up side of the bargain too and the two meshed perfectly into one of my favourite matches this year. Really hoping for a rematch here as it felt like there's unfinished business. Looking forward to seeing Ospreay's continued development into a Heavyweight too.

Also been enjoying the heavyweight Ospreay. Liked his strikes here and just how well he paced the match, even having an enjoyable heat sequence near the open. It also made his more athletic bursts and comebacks stand out and pop even more. What is up with Lethal ROH Title matches and abusing Bobby Cruise? Thought the first belt spot with Ospreay catching the title was a little silly but decent enough character building. The second belt spot kinda took me out of the match however. Same with the ladder spot. Totally unnecessary and distracted these two from putting in some work to make a much better match. Aside from that, this was still a lot of fun. Lethal is a great champion character and always seems like a real ace in the ring during these title matches. Looks like Taven vs. Lethal at Final Battle.

• 1 month later...

There wasn't a ton of backstory but, the action was very engaging, they worked a story, and these two had chemistry. In fact I felt so much chemistry that they could put on a great marquee rivalry. One that ROH needs after the NXT drain. So, it was a very good way to end the PPV/show . They could have just done the Ospreay spectacle with Lethal along for the ride but, instead opted to have a interesting and engaging match that left me wanting more. A very good to great match.