Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-09-30-NJPW-Fighting Spirit Unleashed] Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [2018-09-30-NJPW-Fighting Spirit Unleashed] Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii

Basically the same as the Destruction tag with Ospreay swapped out for Okada. Liked how they built up to the Okada-Omega interactions but also good to see how hot the crowd were for Ishii-Ibushi interactions as well. Just twenty minutes of great action here, none of the time for any of the plodding opening segments that we get in their singles main events. Just take all the good stuff--hard strikes, tense finisher counters, and great nearfalls--and put them all in one match. Crowd was hot and the match lived up to their hype.

****1/4

Golden Lovers would easily take the tag team of the year if they were more consistent with their incredible match ouput. Four of the best wrestlers in the world in one match? Of course this would be incredible. It would be shallow of me to say this had no story and was basically a match where each guy played their greatest hits. I liked the subtle build up to Omega and Okada throwing down again because it felt worth it when they finally got a few minutes to show off their incredible chemistry again. Of course, any combo of these four men have incredible chemistry. Though the match was entirely inconsequential in the end, this was still one of my favorite tag team matches of the year, ****3/4.