Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-05-21-UWF] Akira Maeda vs Kazuo Yamazaki

Superstar Sleeze

Akira Maeda vs Kazuo Yamazaki - UWF II 5/21/89

I was dreading this because I found their '88 match so dull, but this was phenomenal. Best Akira Maeda match ever even better than the November '88 match with Takada and I hate Maeda. I think he is boring as piss, but this was great. Tons of great stand up exchanges and throws. Very little time on the mat which suits these guys well. I knew this was going to be great when Yamazaki caught a head kick and just threw Maeda down and starting kicking the shit out of him. The throws were organic and felt like each was earned. The string of four knockdowns in a row were amazing and compelling. Yamazaki was working that leg and blistered it with kicks. Maeda roars back with head kicks. Yamazaki hits that spinwheel kick and then as Maeda gets back up kicks out the plant leg for another knockdown. Maeda spikes Yamazaki on his head at one point with a capture suplex. This was insane. The holds down the stretch were tight and well worked. Yamazaki forced another rope break so Maeda down to his last knockdown. He pulled it out by the skin of his teeth with a tight triangle choke. For a lack of better term, this was an amazing shoot-style spotfest but unlike a conventional spotfest it felt like everything was earned. For me, this is a contender for best UWF II match of all time. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1989-05-21-UWF] Akira Maeda vs Kazuo Yamazaki