Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-01-18-AJPW] Toshiaki Kawada vs. Genichiro Tenryu

Jetlag

Most overlooked match between two big names in japanese wrestling history? I never even knew this one happened. It was a pretty fun match, altough far in the shadow of their 2000 encounter. You get those two smacking and punching eachother a lot, so that is really fun of course, and also some of Crazy Tenryu with him throwing chairs and making use of the Spider Suplex etc. Unfortunately Lazy Kawada was in effect here with him ignoring some fun legwork Tenryu was doing and no selling his way back on offense later, he also seemed to have a lot of light on his enzuigiris. On the other hand, him coughing after getting chopped in the throat was a nice touch. Perfectly good match otherwise.

• 4 years later...

I liked this better than any other Kawada match from the 2000s aside from the original Tenryu match from 2000 and the Muto matches. Not because it was a great Kawada performance (personally I don't think he was a great worker in the 2000s), but because Tenryu is a natural opponent for him. I'd gladly watch this matchup any day of the week. It suffers a bit in comparison to the tear Kobashi was on (I can't seem to separate the two in my mind), but as a New Year's match it's more than decent.