Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-10-25-APW] Super Dragon vs Bobby Quance

Jetlag

This was a serious contender for the greatest US indy match I've ever seen. Virtually flawlessly worked 30 minute junior epic which had everything – matwork, storytelling, selling, devastating moves and guys slapping eachother in the mouth. We start with 10 minutes of nearly uninterrupted matwork which was ultra tightly worked, smooth stuff. Quance is someone nobody really talks about anymore, but he was a great talent and just mindlbowingly good for a dude in his 2nd year of wrestling. The matwork they did here was much better than the wristlocky WoS imitation stuff you usually get in US indies and closer to lucha matwork with a bit of japanese influence sprinkled in. Quance would shoot for double leg takedowns and judo legtrips, while Dragon just pounces on him like a snake, in between working ultra tight pin attempts and slapping eachother. Quances tiger feint rana may be the single coolest move a skinny US junior has ever invented. This is 2/3 falls and both the first 2 falls have really smart finishes that pay off in the long run of the match. Dragon was incredibly vicious here, modifying his signature offense to work Quances arm, but he also did a great job selling a big head kick. Quances arm selling was pretty much flawless as he was struggling to hit his offense for the rest of the match and he looked quite sympathetic trying to take down his bigger, more vicious opponent. There were also numerous great counters from Super Dragon, ranging from Fujiwara armbars to turning a DDT into a powerbomb mid-air. He also had this amazing flying armbar. Match also had all the usual brutal offense, neck-compressing suplexes, huge double stomps and lariats etc. The finish is fucking infuriating, but please don't let that detract from the amazing work these two did here.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2002-10-25-APW] Super Dragon vs Bobby Quance
  • 2 years later...

Jetlag was right about this. Really good match. I don't know who Bobby Quance is, or what happens to him, but for the most part I thought he was a better opponent for Super Dragon than Danielson, and I liked his all-round style. Dragon was much tighter here and rock solid throughout the bout. The finish was an abomination, but this was another US indy match that felt fresher than the styles it was aping. There was a time when I would have dismissed this type of wrestling as second-rate or a cheap knockoff, but 20 years later I get it.