Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-03-16-NJPW-New Japan Cup: Day Seven] Zack Sabre Jr vs Kota Ibushi

SmartMark15

This has to be one of my favorite pairings in wrestling. They just work so well together especially with ZSJ's psychology of taking strikes in order to grab a hold. Ibushi's selling actually felt a lot more consistent in this match especially when his comebacks would be delayed or stalled because of the limbwork ZSJ tortures him with throughout. There was a consistent logic to this that Ibushi needs to overpower and outstrike Zack in order to get the win but closing the distance against Zack Sabre Jr. is one of the most dangerous things you can do because once he grabs a limb, he's on you like crazy. Probably my favorite match of the tournament so far. It was tight, fast, and exciting all the way through. I'm excited as all hell for the Tanahashi-ZSJ rematch just because now I can't quite tell who will win.

****1/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2019-03-16-NJPW-New Japan Cup: Day Seven] Zack Sabre Jr vs Kota Ibushi

These two always bring such fun, fiery & competitive chemistry against one another inside the ring. This was a yet another banger between them. Zack is awesome with his submission work & I loved the way he set up traps for Ibushi in this one, with him baiting him into striking exchanges, only for him to catch him w/ submissions out of nowhere. The biggest target of Zack's attack was Ibushi's leg, and while Ibushi certainly isn't a good limb seller, I thought his work here regarding that was inoffensive & Zack getting the win via Orienteering With Napalm Death definitely helps too, as the legwork paid off in the end. ***1/2