Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #1: Bret Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid

Loss

I'm pretty late to the party on most of these since I didn't get in on the first DVD. I only got the first DVD a few days back, when DVD #2 arrived. So, I'll still give my thoughts even if most have already given them for me:)

This was the first time I have ever seen this match, but it's been on my list of matches to see for years, so I was pretty excited.

Bret's European uppercuts were sooooo nasty. I had to rewind a few times.

Kid's spinning back kick in the corner looked really great. Caught Bret right under the chin the same way Bret's uppercuts caught Kid.

Smart sell of Kid's insane-but-mostly-missed somersault plancha. I hate when moves are supposed to hit, and then don't, and guys sell them anyway. And, conversely, when a move is supposed to miss, doesn't, then they sell it anyway (Hello! Tanahashi/Kanemoto). Kid's was only a glancing blow, and Bret was smart to be the first on his feet.

That was officially the only time I've ever seen the "Jump off the ropes into your waiting boot" spot look good. Bret went face first and looked amazing doing it.

Great, fun match. Plenty of action, and it told a good story. Glad it lived up to expectations.

Eric

I totally forgot how over Sean Waltman was in 1994. The pop he receives during the entrance is almost hard to believe, until I reminded myself how much I even liked the 1-2-3 Kid during this time period. I even owned a 1-2-3 baseball cap, and yet, I never gave a crap about him at any other point in his career. Seeing young Waltman again compared to current/early 00's/late 90's Waltman is an interesting contrast.

By the way, this match is still as awesome as it was when I saw it on TV 13 years ago. The superplex-countered by a shift in weight during the fall spot needs to make a resurgence, as it's always a very convincing near fall. I believe Shawn Michaels did the same thing to win his first Intercontinental title from Bulldog in 92.

Interesting to see Kid actually tap, because I don't think tapping was considered a form of "giving up" at this point in time. If I remember correctly, physically tapping to indicate submission seems to have become a standard during the late 90s. Is this correct? Hell, I can remember when guys would tap and it wouldn't mean anything.