Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-21-Monterrey] Pimpinela Escarlata & Diluvio Negra I & Damian 666 vs Mosco de la Merced & Silver Star & Salsero

ohtani's jacket

This started off as straight midcard fare that allowed us to see more of Pimpi in his prime and turned into an apuesta feud between Diluvio and Silver Star. For some reason which escaped me in Spanish, the ref was heavily involved in the feud. More involved than any ref I can remember from a lucha libre bout (and that includes a ton of rudo refs.) Mind you, this was the same ref that did a plancha from the top turnbuckle in the main event, so who knows what was going on. I don't know if I'll ever see a payoff to this but I was a witness to it. 

• GSR changed the title to [2001-01-21-Monterrey] Pimpinela Escarlata & Diluvio Negra I & Damian 666 vs Mosco de la Merced & Silver Star & Salsero
  • 1 year later...

Monterrey continues to be the toughest lucha for me to get into. We had a lot here from Escalarta antics to mask ripping and blood to ref involvement. None of it landed for me though. Diluvio and Silver Star brawling around the arena gave a different perspective from the usual lucha principles but it wasn’t particularly inspired. The referee involvement I couldn’t get past as it was unclear what the intention was and at one point he gets handcuffed to the ropes in a spot right out of the Miss Elizabeth/Hulk Hogan playbook. I thought this was really skippable overall. **