Pro Wrestling Only

RINGS/UWFI/BattlARTS recommendations

Loss

What would be considered a really good Volk Han intro match?

I'm including the Yoshihisa Yammamoto match from 08/13/97 next month, which I actually like better than the Tamura match from January that gets more love. I'm also including the Yuki Ishikawa/Daisuke Ikeda match from BattlARTS 5/27/98 soon.

After that, I don't really know.

Any recommendations of specific matches would be great. Think good matches for introducing the style to someone who has never seen it, more than just the best matches.

Thanks.

Loss, I honestly can't think of a better Han intro than 1/97 vs. Tamura. Short, constant action, establishes two differing personalities, and just beautiful wrestling in general. It was my first Han match and made me an instant fan. Their 9/96 match is even shorter but still tons of fun.

Outside of the Tamura series, I really like his '96 matches with Kohsaka (particularly 11/96). If you want to throw in something against Maeda, go for 1/95 (Han was really at the top of his game around this time).

It's been a long time since I watched many of these matches, but those stick out as being really, really good.

Loss, I honestly can't think of a better Han intro than 1/97 vs. Tamura. Short, constant action, establishes two differing personalities, and just beautiful wrestling in general. It was my first Han match and made me an instant fan. Their 9/96 match is even shorter but still tons of fun.

Outside of the Tamura series, I really like his '96 matches with Kohsaka (particularly 11/96). If you want to throw in something against Maeda, go for 1/95 (Han was really at the top of his game around this time).

It's been a long time since I watched many of these matches, but those stick out as being really, really good.

I... concur. Han vs. Tamura or Han vs. Kohsaka is virtually always going to produce some amazing mat work. It's top-line stuff all the way, and rather unique as well.

As far as UWF(i), the Vader vs. Takada matches are the cliche first choice for new viewers for a reason: The Giant Foreigner vs. The Quick Native storyline is very easy to get into, and that can make for an easy transition into the different style of presenting a match. Not to mention the sick, sick, beautiful, stiffness of it all... Any one of the three would be suitable, really.

Any of the top handful of matches from the DVDVR "Other 80s" project would make a nice second choice:

1. Nobuhiko Takada vs Akira Maeda (11/10/88 UWF)

2. Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Super Tiger (12/5/84 UWF)

3. Nobuhiko Takada vs Bob Backlund (12/22/88 UWF)

5. Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Super Tiger (7/17/85 UWF)

6. Masakatsu Funaki vs Tatsuo Nakano (7/24/89 UWF)

7. Super Tiger vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara (9/7/84 UWF)

Funaki vs. Nakano is a killler. It was one of my favourite matches on the set.

Ishikawavs. Ikeda 8/29/99 is also asskicking at its very finest. There are a ton of good to great matches in the tournament leading up to it as well. I'd say that after that you could throw in one of the crazy tags, like Ikeda & Ono vs. Otsuka & Yoneyama from the Samurai TV 8/9/98 show... or even the insane Usuda vs. Yamakawa match (I seem to remember that being on the same show???) that featured barbed-wire-wrapped kick pads. Crazy stuff! Might make a good pairing with that Oz match where she gets kicked in the face by chain-wrapped boots...

• 1 year later...
Guest secondcoming

As far as UWF(i), the Vader vs. Takada matches are the cliche first choice for new viewers for a reason: The Giant Foreigner vs. The Quick Native storyline is very easy to get into, and that can make for an easy transition into the different style of presenting a match. Not to mention the sick, sick, beautiful, stiffness of it all... Any one of the three would be suitable, really.

This.

Vader/Takada from 8/94 is the one to pick if you had to pick one, IMO.

Takada/Albright from 6/94 is up there with it...

the two are the quintessential UWFi matches for me for the exact reason you stated above, well said.

-J