Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-07-07-Impact-Slammiversary XVII] Brian Cage vs Michael Elgin

ShittyLittleBoots

I never in a million years would've thought that I'd end up LOVING a match between these two, but here we are. This kicked so much ass. The beginning perfectly sets up the pace for what's about to come, as they collide in explosive fashion right from the get go. From that moment on, it's just borderline balls-to-the-walls bombfest action with the two, especially Big Mike, brutalizing one another in very compelling fashion. The length was just about perfect for the way they went with it, too. An absolutely awesome match with a big A. ***3/4

Two big dudes throwing bombs and doing high spots, what's not to love? This easily the best Brian Cage has looked since moving in the main event scene and once again Michael Elgin delivers in big matches during his Impact tenure. This two went all out and didn't let up one one bit with crazy pacing. I was already digging this match but when Elgin countered the drill claw with a canadian destroyer I popped out my chair and the finish left both guys looking good, loved every minute.

• 2 weeks later...

This far exceeded my expectations going in and ended up being a terrific balls to the wall bomb fest. I wouldn't say that I'm the world's biggest fan of either guy, but since coming to Impact Elgin has had a series of really strong TV matches, and he carried that into the match with Cage here. Right from the beginning they went at it, showing great fire and the two just seemed to bring out the best in each other. I know they were a tag team in PWG which probably helped with the chemistry, and I really liked Cage's intensity here. Often I feel he's just doing 'moves' with no emotion, but here I really bought into the fire he was bringing, not only in the sense of getting back at a guy that had put him in hospital, but that sense of putting everything on the line to make sure that having worked so hard to get the title he didn't lose it in his first defence. There were lots of big moves and kick outs, and yet the way they worked the match, those kick outs didn't feel unrealistic or over the top. Great work from them both. (****)

• 1 year later...

Impact World Heavyweight Champion Brian Cage vs Michael Elgin - Impact Slammiversary 2019

This will be the last Impact match I review as I have completed all the noteworthy matches from TNA/Impact which feels like a pretty crazy thing to say. I am looking forward to get back to Japan and especially get back to the 80s. I havent decided yet if I am going to do New Japan or All Japan. TNA/Impact was a good change of pace, but more often than not it feels a tad bit soulless or digestible. 

This match albeit very good is a good example of an "in one ear out the other" match. Where the moves impressive? Hell Yeah. Am I going to remember them? Hell No. The match ended 2 minutes ago and I am struggling to remember what happened and in what sequence, which is never a good sign. I feel like I always like the beginning of these matches way more than the finish. I liked the energy a lot of Cage's shine. The big dive over the top was a perfect climax. The transition to Elgin's heat segment on the back was wicked weak. That being said Elgin did a great job targeting the back with suplexes/slams while Cage sold the hell of it. The thing is these matches could go in interesting directions from there especially since they laid down a good foundation, but they never do. It is just bomb-throwing that is completely inconsequential. The one nice thing about Shawn Michaels being an active performer in WWE was it prohibited people hitting a zillion superkicks with no consequences. This was just just egregious all these strikes that meant nothing. I like Powerbombs a lot so the Powerbombs were good. Elgin's Backlund-esque Powerbomb was cool. Cage drilled Elgin with a Powerbomb at one point. The Canadian Destroyer was fine. The setup was silly but it was so sudden that I enjoyed. The finish was nonsensical with Cage getting thrown around like a ragdoll only to counter a Powerbomb attempt into a finish. The heel slipping on the banana in a hoss fight is silly. I know I seem down on the match, but I did enjoy it. I just dont like writing about MOVEZ~! This is a very MOVEZ~! heavy match. It was enjoyable while watching, but not very interesting to analyze. ***1/2