Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-07-13-AEW-Fight For The Fallen] Cody & Dustin Rhodes vs The Young Bucks

ShittyLittleBoots

This was the clear MOTN in my eyes. Dustin is a legendary FIP, and while he sure was what I enjoyed the most about it, The Bucks sure can work a compelling heat segment too. Them being total douchebags to the Rhodes Bros, mocking their big DoN moment + constantly taunting them & even spitting at Cody was a lot of fun. Cody himself is a very good hot tag, and the Brotherhood gaining control & working the crap out of Matt's shoulder was really great, I thought. Nice stomps, kicks & holds to it, and I especially loved the hard irish whip by Dustin as he threw Matt into the corner shoulder-first. Matt sells pretty excellently throughout as well. Now after Nick's hot tag (which was good btw), the match kicks into its more 50/50 finishing gear, and that is where the length of it is starts to feel, as it does drag. It's still good action, but it's pretty much what makes this match very good, borderline great, rather than just straight up great. ***3/4

Certainly a story of two matches here. Opening with a standard Southern tag formula with Dustin playing Ricky Morton against the incredibly douchey Bucks. Cody makes an awesome hot tag, absolutely rag dolling the Bucks which then transitions into the heel/face roles switching as the Brotherhood attack Matt's arm. Both Dustin and Cody look fantastic making all their offense look great. The Bucks make their own comeback with their flashiness and sadly, this is where the match falls apart. Drags on with too much double spots in the ring, back and forth MOVEZ!!! exchanges, and completely forgetting what makes a Southern tag works: tags. Still really loved the majority of this match and Dustin and Cody both put in fantastic performances. Cody is easily the AEW MVP so far with three straight excellent performances.

This wasn't good at all. The Bucks were so, so uncompelling as they fighting from beneath guys in the match. Matt Jackson isn't sympathetic in any way and his "my arm is hurt but I'll do these random moves that never worked for me before anyway" selling was an annoyance. Dustin and Cody was decent, working over the arm well but they excelled best when Dustin was the one being worked over. Not just that, there was zero engery or zip to the match. No flow or build to a finish. They paced the match like they was going Broadway only to end the match out of nowhere. Just bad. *3/4