Pro Wrestling Only

[2008-10-05-WWE-No Mercy] Beth Phoenix vs Candice Michelle

Superstar Sleeze

WWE Women's Champion Beth Phoenix vs Candice Michelle - WWE No Mercy 2008

I watched this on a whim and it rocked! Yep, that's right it rocked! No sliding scale, this was legitimately good. I bet Stacey (Jimmy Redman) has already sung this match's praises. I was a pretty big Glamarella mark as it is my favorite style of comedy and Beth was my favorite women's wrestler along with Mickie James, but I think Mickie was already being phased out. 

This match is built around the fact that Beth injured Candice's shoulder. Beth taunts Candice right at the beginning by trying to touch the shoulder and Candice dropkicks her knee. It was a rapid fire shine. Where Candice was sticking and moving. She was a ball of energy trying to beat the monster quickly. Think of a version of Kobashi vs Hansen. I love Beth's selling. It was a register. It was I cant believe this is happening to me. It was happening so fast she couldn't recover. I love how she would drop to maybe one knee but never take a bump. She was protecting herself and the match integrity. He was creating a mountain for Candice to scale. Candice threw some great forearms. The dropkicks were solid. Of course, the monster Beth eventually catches Candice and squashes her like a bug and then works on the arm. Candice fires up and hits a Hashimoto Spinning Heel Kick for two which is her big climax. Now they hit the finish with Santino. 

Beth takes a tumble off the top rope and Candice looks poised to win, but Santino yanks Beth out very roughly I may add. Candice hits a baseball slide on Santino. Beth BULLDOZES Candice. Candice took a rough bump. Santino accidentally trips up Beth and Candice schoolboys Beth and I bit! I fucking bit! I actually went "Well the finish sucked" and I popped when Beth kicked out. Give WWE its due they have done so many shitty schoolboy finishes that you actually do bite on them. I mean that as a backhanded compliment. Great finish Candice goes for the UNprettier and Beth turns it into the Glam Slam! for the win! 

Efficient execution of pro wrestling 101. Great shine! Effective heat segment and strong finish stretch. I would have liked a little more character work from Beth to get herself over as a major heel whether it is heat-seeking taunting or monster shit like a Hansen. I think she was very focused on being a ring general and she looked great. Thumbs up! ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2008-10-05-WWE-No Mercy] Beth Phoenix vs Candice Michelle