Pro Wrestling Only

Let's Talk About...

Guest Some Guy

Guest Some Guy

I got a comp of the Punk/Raven feud and I have a few comments on his gimmick. This feud and his gimmick is one of the stranger ones I've ever seen that is taken seriously. Here you have a straight edge guy who is a heel facing off against the drug addicted babyface Raven. The announcers are encouraging people watching to "drink a beer and smoke a bowl" during the matches and I'm thinking WTF?

Punk, from what I've seen (I haven't gotten through the Punk/Joe matches yet) is a pretty good worker and a great talker. Yet, I am perplexed by the gimmick. I get the whole "I'm better than you because..." but why turn a positive thing like being drug free into a heelish thing? I don't do drugs, but have a beer sitting right next to me as I type this, so I'm not at all straight edge but I think it is a good thing for someone to be. Here you have Raven who was a big drinker and drug user, with the key word being "was" and yet that part is only mentioned in passing. They basically portray Raven as a drug addict and as the face, I could see if they were pointing out that Punk was full of shit with his comparison's of Raven to his drunk father, but Raven is clean now and as far as I can tell Punk's dad never sobered up.

So, you have a heel who is basing his premise for hating the babyface of something that isn't even true anymore and yet that, which would make Punk even more of a heel is pretty much skipped over, in favor of saying that "Punk thinks he's better than you if you are watching and drinking a beer or smoking a bowl." Well, Punk is better than you if you are doing those things. The heel is right and the face (Raven never endorses drug use in his promos, but is promoted as though he does) is wrong. It's really a strange feud as both guys have heelish and faceish sides yet in the ring one is full face and the other full heel. I really enjoyed the matches and the feud overall, but I was left wondering about why I should cheer or boo either guy. I felt like both guys were half heel and half face.

Someone explain were I've gone wrong.

Once I get the chance to watch the Joe/Punk series and the Raven comp again, I'll get more into what I think of Punk as a worker. But, as a I said he seems to be pretty damn good on first watch.

I'd wager one of two things:

1. He's a heel like Hassan, people boo him for basically stating the truth. His gimmick is that he doesn't care for drunks and potheads, and wrestling fans tend to drink and experiment with various and sundry chemicals.

2. Whoever's writing/booking has a bone to pick with Straight Edge people. I know some people don't care for the whole Straight Edge style, maybe that's what's at work here.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Another part of where Punk comes off as the heel as that he is telling people not to indulge something they might enjoy because it will make them a loser, while Raven is pretty much telling people to indulge if it makes them happy. Punk comes off as the heel for dictating to people, while Raven is the face for doing the opposite.

Guest Some Guy

Yeah, but the drugs ruined Raven's life and career for a long time. For someone who is booked to be very smart he comes off pretty stupid in this case.