Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-01-19-JCP-Atlanta, GA] Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin - JCP 1/19/86

Clipped up but we get a lot! Worth the watch! As these two always are together. You gotta love when Flair gets trapped in a firefight and is forced to trade leather and no one forces his hand better than Ron Garvin baby!

Lots of jaw jacking to start, Flair got knocked out cold by the Hands of Stone on TV the day prior. It looks like Flair is forcing Tommy Young to remove the tape around the fist. Besides maybe the exception of Vader there’s nobody better at using the corner in a match Flair. They trade heavy leather in the corner. Flair registers and sells so well. I love how he crowds and bullies. He gets slapped and his natural inclination is to clinch and close the gap. Hands of Stone! Early! Flair sells it by writhing and it looks like Garvin may have hurt his hand. The lack of tape is important. Long fun shine as expected. Ball shot in the corner turns the tide for the Champion. He is so mean in his heat segment. I think that’s what people forget the most about Flair. The histrionics aside he cab get vicious and mean with the best of them. Garvin’s Carolina No-Sell is great and has the place rocking. Lots of great punches. I’m surprised he landed Hands of Stone middle of the ring and Flair got the shouder up. Flair gets the knee crusher and it is Figure-4 fun. I liked the second Kneecrusher and then Garvin punch good level the playing field spot. They tumble to the outside and it’s a double count out. Easy **** match maybe as high as ****1/2 too much clipping to properly rate but these two are killer together. Physical, great Flair struggle making Garvin earn his shit, great Flair transition to hear, loved the Garvin comeback, the finish was the weakest part but hard to judge without all of it. 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1986-01-19-JCP-Atlanta, GA] Ric Flair vs Ron Garvin