Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-04-26-JCP-Charlotte NC] Dusty Rhodes vs Tully Blanchard (Texas Death)

Superstar Sleeze

Tully Blanchard vs Dusty Rhodes - JCP 4/26/86 Non Title Texas Death Match

This is a handheld and I am pretty sure we are not missing much. Tully is definitely Dusty's best opponent. I think with Dusty you need someone who is really going to go all in and stooge and show ass and is not concerned about getting himself over or working his layout. The beginning of this match the rout is on. Dusty just wallops Tully repeatedly and runs up the score with three straight falls showing clearly he is The Man and that Tully is overwhelmed. The missed legsweep and Dusty cocking the Bionic Elbow. Tully's frustration and Dusty's cockiness is so perfect. It reminded me of the best Dusty match ever their Starrcade 1986 when Dusty plays "Red Light, Green Light" with his Bionic Elbow. Tully needs a timeout after losing three straight falls. I would say so. 

Here comes Tully...lunging at the gut of Dusty well that is a wide mark...sorry had to and he gets vicious on the outside. He uses JJ's shoe to inflict further damage and Dusty juices. One thing that I think keeps Tully from being as great as Flair in my mind is that Tully usually stooges, feed and bumps even more than Flair without ratcheting up the aggression when it comes time. This match sees Tully take more charge. Bully Tommy Young and really stay on Dusty and grind him. Tully gets a fall and there's a little drama whether Dusty will get up and he does. Dusty times his comeback well with some well-placed rights that find their mark. Tully retreats to the safety of the ropes & JJ. As JJ distracts, Tully gets JJ's show wallops Dusty with it. This garners Tully his second pinfall and there's even more drama if Dusty will make it to his feet. Tully is perched on the middle rope ready for Dusty as soon as he gets up and Tully comes crashing down on him. This time Dusty kicks out and here comes Big Dust! Strong punches followed up by swinging for the fences with his double axe-handles and then exploding out of a three point stance. I guess this combines his love of baseball, football and wrestling. This gets Dusty another three count. Clip here. Tully sweeps the leg and goes after Dusty's perennially injured leg. He yanks off Dusty's boot and beats his leg with it. Figure-4! This match rocks! Dusty is such a great seller and Tully has been really good on offense!  Tommy Young calls the fall as Dusty gets up, he CLOBBERS Tully with the Cowboy Boot! They love shoe-related offense in this match. Tully stays on the injured leg, goes back to the Figure-4, inside cradle gets three for Dusty. Tully lunges right at Dusty love the reaction. They knock heads on the criss cross. Lame finish coming I can feel it. Dusty beats the ten count, but Tully cant. No title switch so title was not on the line. Finish was very 80s. The Cowboy Boot would have been a great finish. Rest of the match was killer. Check this out! ***3/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1986-04-26-JCP-Charlotte NC] Dusty Rhodes vs Tully Blanchard (Texas Death)