Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-07-05-JCP-Great American Bash] Tully Blanchard vs Ronnie Garvin (Taped Fist)

Superstar Sleeze

Tully Blanchard vs Ronnie Garvin - Great American Bash 1986 Taped Fist

i don’t think this is for the National Heavyweight Championship as Garvin wins the match but there is no title change. I watched the build for this which occurs after the famous 5/3/86 Worldwide match that some consider the best match in JCP history but I think was a little too long in the tooth and all over the place. Blanchard knocked out Garvin using a Taped Fist (but I think he may had a foreign object too) when Garvin was wrestling Leo Burke. Tully really gloated about this saying Garvin said “No Mas” a popular reference at the time and that fans should be chanting “I Quit” at Garvin not him.

This match is very similar to one that takes places at the end out of tour but with enough key differences that let me say I do significantly prefer the last one. I think the last one they really go all in on the heel shenanigans and chicanery. There’s a lot more Gaga. The finish is a really strong heel finish. There’s still plenty of Gaga at the beginning but Tully actually bloodies and takes over on Garvin for longer so it makes the Wahoo spot feel less fun and more necessary. Babyface interference in my opinion should be fun and make you smile but not be integral to the actual wrestling babyface taking the match. I didn’t like the finish here either. They do a double KO spot with Tully coming off the top rope and Garvin punching him as he comes crashing down. Then it is first to get to their feet wins. Tully is a chicken heel not a monster heel I thought this protected him too much and if Garvin was going to win with no title change just have him win. I think this finish would have better suited to have JJ hold Garvin down while Tully got back to his feet. Definitely a fun match still I just prefer the 7/26 match from the end of the tour. ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1986-07-05-JCP-Great American Bash] Tully Blanchard vs Ronnie Garvin (Taped Fist)