Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-07-26-JCP-Great American Bash] Road Warriors & Baby Doll vs Midnight Express & Jim Cornette

Superstar Sleeze

Road Warriors & Baby Doll vs Midnight Express & Jim Cornette - Great American Bash 7/26/86 Steel Cage

I didn’t know this match existed and I don’t know if there was any build to this besides the Baby Doll vs Corny build at the time. Dusty was squaring off with Flair on this night and Mags was paired with Nikita.

I really wanted the Dusty version of this match to be test but I was disappointed. Surprisingly I thought this match was better but still didn’t quite scratch that itch.

Cornette cutting a promo at the beginning saying he wants Baby Doll one on one helped get the match off to a better start. I can’t tell if Baby Doll whiffed by accident or on purpose but they do Eaton arm drag spot again which I like. I thought the Road Warriors vs MX portion of the match was even better than the Mags vs MX portion. Really great shine, Animal Looked great especially that reverse leap frog. Some nice heel hope spots, Cornette gets in and misses the elbow drop and then high tails it out of there. I liked that and think they could have gone to that well a bit more. Hawk no selling Eaton’s rights as he was just tagging him was great. The heat segment on Animal was short but sweet. Eaton successfully hitting the knee drop off the top of the cage was insane but he needed to make it feel like a bigger deal. Eaton makes things look too easy sometimes. They do Animal catches Eaton coming down from top of cage. Katie Bar the Door, here I liked Baby Doll having to yank Cornette down from the Cage to avoid escaping that was better than the first match. Road Warriors spook Corny who turns around into a HUGE right by Baby Doll she really socked him that time. 

I still felt they left stuff on the table they could have used but this was still a lot of fun and a much better finish. ***3/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1986-07-26-JCP-Great American Bash] Road Warriors & Baby Doll vs Midnight Express & Jim Cornette