Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-06-13-NWA-Worldwide] Tully Blanchard vs Dusty Rhodes

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World TV Champion Tully Blanchard vs Dusty Rhodes - NWA Worldwide 6/13/87

Originally, I skipped this match, but this was the major angle going into Great American Bash that all the promos centered around so I figured I'd go back and watch it. This is NOT just for the Television Championship, it is also for a $100,000 jackpot with each man contributing 50 grand of their own money. This stems from Tully's $10k challenge. Stream of consciousness, if you will...

The Dusty vs Tully singles feud probably defined Crockett more than any other singles feud in this era. It was woven from beginning to end. Dusty drops Tully face first into the match. Armdrag. Now it is time for shucking and jiving courtesy of the American Dream. Tully in response decides to take a walk. They have added Dark Journey to Tully Blanchard Entreprises. She does not add much like Baby Doll. Big hiptoss by Big Dust. Dusty flashes the Elbow and Tully powders. Dusty gives chase. Tully ties to sweep the leg. Tully feeds for the Bionic Elbow and Dusty obliges. Tully powders. Dusty is rolling. Big chops in the corner by Big Dust. Bionic Elbow sends Tully packing. Dusty is whipping the crowd into a frenzy threatening to injure Tully's leg still playing off that Dusty leg injury. Dusty stomps the leg. Tully tucks tail and retreats to the corner. Tully is pissed, humiliated and left hobbled.  Dusty wrenches the leg around the steel guard rail. The crowd love it. Tully is limping. I thought Dusty was going to wrap Tully leg around the post but instead takes Magnum's cane and whacks Tully with it. They have been bringing Magnum out with Dusty to pop the crowd and give Mags a little love. Figure-4 by The Dream! Tully makes the ropes. Mags/Tully confrontation. Mags takes a swing at Tully. Dusty rams Tully's head into the railing. FIGURE-4 ON THE FLOOR! I am glad I went back and watched this. Pretty damn entertaining. Tommy Young tries to unravel them and JJ stomps Dusty in the head. Tully is still hobbling. Dusty is selling the leg I am not sure why, but Tully has applied the FIgure-4 in the ring. Dusty reverses the pressure and Tully is left hollering for JJ who pulls him to the ropes. Tully's leg selling is phenomenal. He limps into Dusty who hits the DDT! Both men are in a bad way. Tully uses JJ's shoe to whack Dusty's knee and then wrenches it around the bottom rope. Dusty punches his way out of trouble. Dusty is amazing selling all this. Tully likes trying for the Slingshot Suplex and usually leads to a reverse. Here Tully floats over. Mid-ring collision on the cross-body block. Bionic Elbows by Dusty after each Elbow, he takes a rest in the corner. Tully charges High Knee to turnbuckles! Dusty Figure-4?!? Time? Tully goes for the eyes to avoid it. Fight over a backslide, Dusty wins that battle. Dusty atomic drop and Tully face first bump. The Dream is in control down the stretch. Dusty Sleeper. Tully makes the ropes. DUSTY HITS THE SLINGSHOT SUPLEX! 1-2-3! Tully gets his foot on the ropes too late! Crowd goes wild. JJ STEALS THE MONEY! THE COPS ARE FOLLOWING! THEY ARE ON THE TAKE! Young has called the match off erroneously! Dusty is chasing JJ and Tommy Young counts Dusty out! WHAT THE FUCK! Tommy Young must have thought that Tully had gotten his foot on the ropes in time. What a travesty of justice! This also leads to a Barbed Wire Ladder for $100,000 at Great American Bash. DUSTY WANTS HIS FUCKIN MONEY! DUSTY SWEARING UP A STORM! I LOVE IT! Holy Shit! They took a feud that was way past its expiration date and just reheated it and made it taste oh so good! Incredible! ****

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1987-06-13-NWA-Worldwide] Tully Blanchard vs Dusty Rhodes