Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-08-01-NWA-Superbouts] Rock & Roll Express vs Ric Flair & Lex Luger

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Tag Team Champions Rock N Roll Express vs Ric Flair & Lex Luger - NWA Superbouts 8/1/87

There's just something about the Flair/Luger team I am a mark for. Even when I was a kid and they teamed up in 2000 I thought it was the coolest thing ever. They were dubbed The Dream Team a month or so prior and that's how I feel. In the promos on Saturday Night leading up to this, Horsemen has noticed everyone has gold but Arn, but they arent dogging him. They want to help him get tag team gold. Tully Blanchard out of the kindness of his heart has volunteered to be his fulltime tag partner in the quest to win tag gold. Pretty cool storyline. Interesting that we still get this match and I am really glad we do. Stream of consciousness style:

Flair to start against Morton. Oh Hell Yeah! Flair strutting and looking like he is having a ball. Morton tackle. Flair slaps Morton, Morton decks The Champ. Flair chats with Luger. Top wristlock by Flair, Flair is getting overwhelmed and uses the hair. Morton slaps Flair. Flair is incensed. Firefight breaks out and Morton wins that! Kneelift by Flair, chops, but Morton forcefully switches, ten count punches, hiptoss, dropkick. Flair needs to tag out and bring in the Big Man. Luger vs Morton, I am excited. Headlock by Luger. Takedown. Morton uses the headscissors to escape. Morton grabs a headlock and is able to takedown the Total Package. Luger throws him off. Morton is not able to tackle Luger. Flair is strutting and Wooing that he finally has someone who wont take a bump on his team.  Bodyslam, nope, Morton, O'Connor Roll! Luger is shocked and Flair is incensed. Almost a quick loss from the two major Singles champions.

Morton tags out. Luger flexes trying to psyche out Gibson. Lockup to start. Luger asks Flair is Gibson crazy for trying to bodyslam the Package. Gibson cant pick up the big man. Luger flexes and cant believe he would try. Leapfrog, Pick up Slam, Dropkick and Gibson knocks Flair off the apron and bring him to punch him. Flair walks across the ring just to feed Morton on the apron and pinballs for the Rock N Rolls. We come back from break with Flair bearhugging Morton, but that does not last long. Morton is able to get in motion and grabs a headlock. Flair is hollering in agony. Flair bullies him in the corner. Big chops and Morton grabs the beak! Gibson is punching the nose. Backslide by Gibson. Ref shoving spot. Flair grabs a headlock but can hold it. Back in motion...Double Figure-4 always a crowd-pleaser! Flair hurls Gibson over the top rope. Luger rams Gibson into the railing. Here we go baby. Lets Go Horsemen! Gibson is left hobbling back in the ring and Luger helps him back in the ring the hard way. Flair chopping and punching in the corner. Double Clothesline by the Dream Team. Gibson high cross body gets two for a hope spot. I wanted to see some sweet Luger power offense. Flair nice reverse atomic drop, Gibson has a great sell. Luger comes crashing down with double axehandle. Luger chinlock. Flair takes advantage of a Morton distraction and Flair switches in. Great heavy deadlift vertical suplex and then right into the Figure-4. Oh cmon Tony we just had a commercial break!

We come back with Flair hitting the kneecrusher and crashing down on the knee. Luger kicking the knee from the apron. Gibson moves his leg and Flair lands on his ass hard. Luger tags in. Luger works a standing toehold. Luger yanks Gibson away from Morton. Flair tosses Gibson out to the concrete floor. Luger smokes Gibson with a double axehandle. Sunset Flip hope spot from apron. Gibson grabs the sleeper, but too close to Luger who tags in and punches Gibson. POWERSLAM! The prelude to the Torture Rack. He is calling for it. Gibson avoids it with the O'Connor roll. Flair big, heavy chop. Gibson crawls through the ropes. Morton is house afire. punches for everyone. Morton posts Flair after punching him over the top. Flair is trying to escape but Morton is slamming Flair's head into everything. Morton flying body attack. Katie Bar The Door! There's A Pier Six BRAWL A Brewin'! DOUBLE DROPKICK! LUGER SAVES! WOW! Gibson trips Luger on a double clothesline and restrains him. Morton O'Connor Roll on Flair! Isnt this the finish to the famous Russians match? Luger breaks free...CLOBBERS MORTON FROM BEHIND WITH A CLOTHESLINE! FLAIR FEET ON ROPES! 1-2-3! Holy shit! I cant believe that was the finish. Great finish too. How come this was not for the Tag Titles? 

The standard very good Flair vs Rock N Rolls with Luger not taking anything away. I really liked the heat segment on Gibson and throw in a really good heel finish victory makes this a cut above typical fare. ***3/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1987-08-01-NWA-Superbouts] Rock & Roll Express vs Ric Flair & Lex Luger