Pro Wrestling Only

[2020-12-11-NJPW-Best of the Super Jr. XXVII: Finals] El Desperado vs Hiromu Takahashi

ShittyLittleBoots

Much of the match is centered around El Desperado's work on Hiromu's knee, and I thought he did a nice job targeting it & Hiromu sold it well enough throughout. It was kind of the usual NJPW bodypart-selling, with him still hitting his movez & all, but I thought he sold it really well in some bigger, key moments & Despy's work towards it wasn't ALL that vicious, so it probably didn't require much more dramatic selling. Other than that legwork, there's also of course some good, explosive bombs à la Hiromu Takahashi showcased through it all, and it's indeed good stuff. The whole unmasking sequence was also extremely badass, including the full-on wild scrap they went on to have after the mask got thrown away. All in all it's a very good tournament finals feeling epic, and it doesn't feel forced at all. ***1/2

Terrific match and late MOTYC. This had bombs like we saw in the previous two finals, but the history between Hiromu and Desperado made things feel more like a hate-filled grudge match. Hiromu's selling of the leg was good for the most part and the desperation he showed in the middle with being unable to hit the sunset flip powerbomb and apron suplex were great. Desperado also had a career performance and the mask removal is easily one of the most memorable moments of the year.

Just terrific stuff all around. ****3/4.

Excellent match. I was enjoying it without full investment for a while because I didn’t believe in Despy winning, so the first half felt a little long. But once the mask ripping started and they kicked the intensity up a notch, this was really next level stuff. Despy showed a new level of fire and I honestly think he should dispense with the mask now. Hiromu’s reversal of the stretch muffler into a Canadian destroyer was breathtaking as well. Watch this.

****1/2