Pro Wrestling Only

Project 161

sek69

So at the July 27/28 ROH shows, there were flyers left on the seats and messages written on the bathroom mirrors telling people to go to a website called Abused Society which featured a photo of the Statue of Liberty that had blood coming from its eyes similar to Jimmy Jacobs' eye makeup. It also had the words PROJECT 161 repeating across the bottom.

Over the next few days the web site was changed to show pictures relating to Chicago, and people started putting things together and realized the 161rst show will be in September in Chicago, and also will be the third PPV taping. It's also suggested that it's somehow related to the awesome yet vague promo done by Adam Pearce at the first PPV show.

Strange messages start appearing on the ROH boards referring to Project 161, they get deleted, and then the Abused Society page gets changed to show a distorted photo of Gabe and his wife with the words "We Told You No One Was Safe". This causes Gabe to freak out and ban any mention of it on the ROH boards.

An AIM name called Project161 would give strange replies if contacted:

NOTHING SAVES!

NOTHING SAVES! WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED!

WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED!

FORGET WHAT YOU'VE BEEN TOLD

NOTHING CURES. NOTHING SAVES.

OUR BEGINNING IS YOUR END

YOUR END IS OUR BEGINING

WE WILL NOT BE DELETED

WE WILL NOT BE IGNORED. WE WILL NOT BE DELETED.

LET GO

LET GO. THERE IS NO HONOR.

NO ONE IS SAFE

LOSE ALL HOPE

LOSE ALL HOPE. LOSE EVERYTHING.

YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE TRUTH

THE TRUTH. ABUSEDSOCIETY

YOUR KINGDOM IS DUST

WATCH IS CRUMBLE

ONLY THE CHOSEN WIILL DISCOVER

DISCOVER THE LIGHT. DISCOVER THE DARK.

THE BLOOD OF THE STRONG SHALL FEED THE WEAK

WATCH THEM BLEED

YOU IGNORED THE SIGNS...

YOU IGNORED THE MIRROR. YOU CANT IGNORE IT NOW.

Now someone investigated the WHOIS on the website and found out it was registered by friends of Gabe, so it's obviously some sort of viral marketing/Alternate Reality Game type of thing. There's now a website called Project161.com which if you put your mouse over the red stripes on one of the faces, it shows a pic of two little kids holding foam WWF tag team belts. It's been suggested that the photo might be of a young Briscoe Brothers.

There's even a blog at http://projectonesixone.blogspot.com/, which from the looks of things makes this sound like a combo of Raven's Flock and the nWo.

I don't know, is this kind of angle going to work with ROH's typically cynical and smarky fanbase?

You know, people always said ROH was just a bunch of well-funded LARPers, but this is really over the top.

I do like the blog a lot, though. I'm glad Gabe held onto his junior high diary and has been able to put it to some use.

There is a promotion in Germany that pays shitloads of money for non-wrestling appearances by people like Bret Hart and Mick Foley (and even Bill Apter) that began as a fantasy wrestling promotion. They also pay way too much for TNA wrestlers. So every promotion that didn't begin as a fantasy promotion is okay in my book. It is very depressing to go to a wrestling show knowing that every fan in attendance you haven't seen before at another independent wrestling show is strictly attending because of some has been that isn't even wrestling that night. And they were outperformed (even if you only count the promos) by young locals that probably got 50€ instead of the 4-5 digits the has beens were getting.

It can already be deemed a success. Everyone and their mother's best friend's lover is talking about this on every board I frequent.

Maybe in the Russo sense, but everywhere I've seen it mentioned it's in a "this is lame of ROH" sense.