Pro Wrestling Only

[1982-04-21-AJPW] Dory Funk Jr vs Bruiser Brody

Superstar Sleeze

NWA International Heavyweight Champion Dory Funk Jr vs Bruiser Brody - AJPW 4/21/82

This was randomly on volume 6 of the St. Louis Wrestling at the Chase comp that is available on Impact Wrestling's Streaming Network. The only rationale I can come up with is that it is because Larry was a massive Brody mark. The key with all Brody matches is just check all preconceived notions of Brody as a wildman brawler at the door, he just wasnt. Once you have seen enough of Brody and dont try to force him to be something he is not, he becomes a lot better. I actually like how stingy he is with the bumps as it makes them mean more. This finished #134 on All Japan 80s set which seems criminally low as I thought this was pretty great at 15 minutes very brisk. 

Brody worked strong early and forced Dory to work underneath, sending Dory outside with a dropkick and then working a headlock. Brody uses a bodyslam and Larry points out Dory used the bodyslam as a set up move winning World Championship from Gene Kiniski by delivering seven bodyslams before the Spinning Toehold. Learn something new everyday. Lo and Behold, Dory hits the bodyslam on Brody. I have always loved Dory's European Uppercut and he was on fire here. They work a great knucklelock/monkey flip sequence which totally unexpected from these but I dug it. I liked how Brody chaotically spun into the turnbuckles but didnt bump. However, there was a weird moment where Dory got Brody off his feet but Brody only half-bumped. He either needed to full bump or no sell. The half bump looked awkward. Brody picks the heel up from outside the ring and now the fun begins. He brawls into the crowd throws Dory into some chairs and Dory starts bleeding. I was really surprised how low this is on the set as it is very vigorous, it is bloody and ultimately has a clean finish. Brody plays King of the Mountain. Two awesome big boots in the ending stretch. Dory plays a little Kurt Angle popping up and hurling Brody off the top rope and gets a vertical suplex (he couldnt negotiate it earlier in the match) as hope spots. Pretty big bombs down the stretch. They spill to the outside and now Dory busts open Brody. Double Juice! Dory is rockin'. Dory goes for the Back Suplex but Bordy kicks off the top rope so Dory ends up taking the brunt of it and Brody wins. I always liked that finish. 

Solid opening with Dory playing the fiery babyface from underneath, the ending stretch was hot with the blood, bombs and a great finish. As always I wish Brody gave us something more in the way of charisma and being more heelish. Besides not leaving his feet and opening Dory up, he wrestles very neutral. ***3/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1982-04-21-AJPW] Dory Funk Jr vs Bruiser Brody