Pro Wrestling Only

WWE has become a heel-run promotion

JRH

I 100% believe WWE wants to make another John Cena, a superstar who is a complete company man who does whatever they want. I also 100% believe they don't want to create another Rock who ends up leaving to become an even bigger megastar outside of WWE. 

WWE making the brand the #1 star is like the modern version of the old school territory promoters pushing themselves and family on top because they know they'll never leave the area. 

What is the deal with always jobbing out or otherwise embarrassing people in their home towns? It's long stopped being a rib on specific talents and is just SOP, and seems extra weird when they really make it a point to build it up being in someone's hometown with all their friends and family there. I've never seen them follow it up in any way, either. Was Vince doing this before Montreal? 

Only "good faith" argument I could come up with is that they booking is aimed at "helping" the heel by making him get huge heat by beating the local guy. Of course, I don't think anything WWE does is in good faith anymore and even if that was the case it's still a massively dumb decision that they should know it's dumb because it has never worked: the heels never come out as bigger villains and the babyfaces of course don't get more popular not get any more momentum by being screwed.

2 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Only "good faith" argument I could come up with is that they booking is aimed at "helping" the heel by making him get huge heat by beating the local guy. Of course, I don't think anything WWE does is in good faith anymore and even if that was the case it's still a massively dumb decision that they should know it's dumb because it has never worked: the heels never come out as bigger villains and the babyfaces of course don't get more popular not get any more momentum by being screwed.

It seemed like it started as a way to torment Jim Ross and then started spreading to others and by the mid 00s it was just the norm for faces to always lose in their hometown unless it was something like Benoit as defending champion in Edmonton.