Pro Wrestling Only

Mid South Wrestling Archives

kevinmcfl

With my folder being deleted, I thoiught I would re-post my work in order to have a history of it and in case any new readers want to catch up with what they missed.  No reason to comment on it.  It you feel this is cluttering up our project, I will remove it.

NWA MID SOUTH WRESTLING

WITH JIM ROSS & BILL WATTS

MARCH 27, 1986

IRISH McNEIL’S BOYS CLUB

SHREVEPORT, LOUISIANA

Before we get to Jim Ross and Cowboy Bill Watts, we get a highlight montage from WrestleWar that includes Harley Race being attacked by a large Asian man before losing the North American Title to Jake “the Snake” Roberts, Dr. Death and Ted Dibiase defeating the Freebirds when Doc hit the Oklahoma Stampede on Bam Bam to win the NWA World Tag Team titles, and Magnum T.A. defending his NWA World Title in a controversial decision over Nikita Koloff where it appeared the Russian Nightmare had kicked out before the count of the three.    

As the camera picks up Jim Ross and Cowboy Bill Watts, we see a Mid-South Championship belt on the podium.

Jim Ross:  Hello everybody and welcome to a very special episode of NWA wrestling as it is the first episode of Mid-South Wrestling in well over 2 years.  That’s right folks.  The NWA has grown so fast in 1986 that it has expanded into two separate promotions:  NWA Mid-South and NWA Continental Championship Wrestling.  Both shows are extremely happy to have come to an agreement with the great Ted Turner and WTBS Superstation 17 from Atlanta, Georgia.  Mid-South will air on Saturdays at 6:05 while Continental Championship Wrestling will follow right after at 7:05.  Joining me today here at the Irish McNeil’s Boys Club is the current NWA President, Cowboy Bill Watts.  Bill, this is an exciting time here in the NWA.

Bill Watts:  You said a mouth full Jim.  What a time to be a fan of the NWA!  I am really excited to be going back to my roots here in the Mid-South.  Fans in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and yes… Texas, get ready for the best wrestling has to over.   Listen up all you fans in the Lone Star State… we will be heading your way in just three weeks where we will be crowning new Mid-South tag team champions in a one night tournament on April 190th at the world famous Sportatorioum!  That night there will be two other title matches as the NWA North American Title will be defended as will be the NWA World Title. 

Jim Ross:  So exciting Cowboy!  Can’t wait to hear more on that awesome event in the weeks to come.  Fans, you do not need to wait until April 19th to see great Mid-South action as we have a tremendous show for you tonight.    

Bill Watts:    That’s right Jim but before we get to the ring, I would like to bring out Hacksaw Butch Reed.

Reed comes out to a nice ovation from the crowd.

Bill Watts:  Congratulations Hacksaw on defeating Jerry Lawler for the NWA Southern Title at WrestleWar but I have some news for you.  The NWA has decided to retire that title as of right now.

The crowd’s cheers turn to boos and Hacksaw Reed gives Watts a quizzical look.

Bill Watts:  Fans, don’t worry.  The NWA has decided to replace the Southern Title with the Mid-South Heavyweight Title and Butch, I am proud to award this beautiful new belt to you.

The crowd now cheering again, sees Hacksaw smiling and accepting the new belt and thanking the fans for all their support and that he promises to do right by the people of Mid-South Wrestling and be a true, fighting champion.

The crowd is once again booing as Ernie Ladd comes to the podium.

Cowboy Bill Watts:  You have no right to be out here right now Ernie.

Ernie Ladd:  There you go again Watts telling me about my rights.  I am getting sick and tired of seeing the injustices around here.  I don’t care if you call this show Southern States Wrestling or Mid-South Wrestling.  It is all a big cover up to keep me down and this big, dumb Uncle Tom next to you who is too stupid to see the forest through the trees. I mean you just award him a title…. That aint right.  You just trying to make sure I don’t manage any title holders around here.  If you give my man a title shot, I promise Hack Reed won’t be champ no longer.

Hacksaw Reed is fuming but somehow manages to keep his cool.

Bill Watts:  Your man?  The last time we saw Jerry Lawler, he was catching a bus to Memphis.

Ernie Ladd:  Can you blame him?  With all the crookedness around here!  He went back to where he knows he will get a fair shake.  Anyway, I wasn’t talking about Jerry “The King” Lawler.  If all you people show up Monday night at the Riverside Centroplex in Baton Rouge, you will agree with me in saying Hacksaw Butch Reed might be the first Mid-South Title holder in awhile but he will also have the shortest title reign.  If you think Reed is big…. You aint seen nothing yet.

Ladd storms off as Watts wonders who was dumb enough to join forces with Ernie Ladd.  Reed doesn’t seem to care as he says, “the bigger they are, the harder they fall.”

COMMERCIAL

MATCH: 

Ron Bass & Black Bart defeat Verlon Biggs & Larry Cheatum when Bart hit the Trash Compactor on Cheatum

A quick interview here where Bass and Bart endure themselves to the fans as they say they are happy to be here in Mid-South Wrestling after their title run in Texas All-Star Wrestling and they would love nothing more than to beat the Danggum Freebirds for the Mid-South Tag Team Titles. 

Jim Ross:  Next to the podium is the new North American Champion Jake Roberts.  Mr. Roberts, it seems you have some explaining to do?  What is your relationship with that giant of a man who attacked Harley Race at WrestleWar? 

Jake Roberts:  For once, the Snake got no rhymes or riddles about this as I am truly at a loss. All I know is that when the match was over, I put the over-the- hill Harley Race down for the count and walked out as the North American Champion just as I said I would.

Jim Ross:  And you didn’t have any hand in the interference by that monster?

Jake Roberts:  I know nothing about any monster.  As I said, I, and I only beat Harley Race.

Roberts walks off as Jim Ross shakes his head as he is unsure what to believe after that but all he knows is that The Snake had help beating Harley Race.  Jim Ross lets us know that newcomer to Mid-South Wrestling, Tarzan Goto will be taking on SD Jones next.  Ross admits that he is somewhat embarrasses as he knows nothing of Tarzan.

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:

Tarzan Goto defeats SD Jones with a violent Power Bomb!

As Goto ran to the ring…

Bill Watts:  Oh my…here he is… it’s that 300 plus pound Asian monster who attacked Harley Race at WrestleWar.

As for the match, Goto destroyed SD Jones.  At one point, Jones managed a headbutt on Tarzan.  This is usually a move that knocks SD’s opponents for a loop.  Instead, Goto just laughed.  He proceeded to pound his OWN HEAD with his fist until blood was trickling down his face.  SD, for once in his career, looked worried and Goto went to work.  When the match was over, Goto continued his assault on SD Jones.  The crowd exploded when Harley Race hit the ring, but their enthusiasm was short lived as Goto planted him in the center of the ring with a powerslam!

All Jim Ross could do was wonder who this monster was and if Jake Roberts had anything to do with it.

COMMERCIAL

MATCH: Terry Taylor defeats Iron Mike Sharpe with the 5 Arm

Taylor has a successful return to Mid-South wrestling as he was able to overcome all of the questionable tactics by “Canada’s greatest athlete.”

While Taylor was explaining to Jim Ross how great it was to be back here in Mid-South, his interview was interrupted by another man making his return to the area… Iceman King Parsons.  Over the past 2 years, Iceman has gone back and forth on the side of good and evil many times and Jim Ross is a little nervous about Iceman confronting Terry Taylor.

Iceman Parsons:  Now listen to me people. I know Iceman has not always been on his best behavior, but I have always been honest.  When Iceman speaks it’s like the Gospel and I am here to make amends.  Over the last two years, I have shamed my people.  I have shamed my own mother and for that, Iceman is truly sorry.  Now I hear that Mid-South is holding a tag team tournament to crown a knew champion.  I’m new around here and I know Terry, you haven’t been around either.  I aint got no partner yet and Terry, you and I use to be close… so what do ya say… how about we set this tag team division on its head and win those belts.

The crowd and Terry are both a little uneasy but after a bit of hesitation, Terry extends his hand and the two embrace.  You can tell that Iceman has his charisma and mojo back again and we will soon be hearing “We Are Family” blasting from the speakers as he heads to the ring. 

COMMERCIAL

MAIN EVENT MATCH:

Kevin Sullivan vs “Baby Bull” Leon White

It didn’t take long to see that Kevin Sullivan was not interested in wrestling as his minions, Haku and the Barbarian hit the ring about a minute into the action.  While Leon tried his best to fend off the invaders, the numbers game soon took over.  Haku and The Barbarian were all over White while Sullivan stomped around outside of the ring looking for something.  Soon he came across a rope and he rushed back to the ring with his new find.  Sullivan quickly tied White’s left arm to the top rope while Haku and the Barbarian continued the attack.  Sullivan once again exited the ring only to return this time with a chair.

SMASH… SMASH…. SMASH went the chair against the forearm of the Baby Bull.  White could do nothing about it as he was not only tied but was being held down by the two 300 pounders.  You could almost hear the damage being done as the metal chair just crashed down over and over again.  Jim Ross was calling for help and Wahoo McDaniel soon answered the call but with White basically out of it, the numbers game just turned on Wahoo.  The attack was just as brutal against McDaniel and the crowd was screaming for it to stop.

Jim Ross:  Folks, this is just horrendous.  Someone is going to get seriously hurt.  Not the way we expected Mid-South Wrestling to end their first show here on WTBS!  Something has to be done.  We promise to give you an update next week.  So long from the Pelican State!

NWA MID SOUTH WRESTLING

APRIL 3, 1986

THE MYRIAD

OKLAHMOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA

(Matches from the show on March 29)

Jim Ross:  Hello everybody and welcome to a Mid-South Wrestling here on WTBS Superstation 17 from Atlanta, Georgia.  A lot of great things happening here as we are just over two weeks away from the tournament to crown new Mid-South tag team champions.

Bill Watts:  That’s right Jim.  On April 19th in the Sportatorium in Dallas, Texas, we will hold an 8 team one night tournament to fill the vacant titles.  Next week, we will be announcing those teams. 

Jim Ross:  Don’t forget fans, on that card in Dallas, Magnum T.A. will defend the NWA World Title and the North American title currently held by Jake “The Snake” Roberts will also be defended at that show.

Bill Watts:  Speaking of Jake Roberts, he will be defending the North American Title right here tonight in a rematch from WrestleWar against the former champion, Harley Race.    

Jim Ross:  That will be a great main event tonight, but we also have a lot of great action as “The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff will be taking on Mike Graham.  The Freebirds will be taking on SD Jones & Steve Simpson and the newly formed tag team of Iceman Parsons & Terry Taylor will have their hands full with “Killer” Tim Brooks & Jimmy Jack.  Before we get to the ring, let’s bring in Wahoo McDaniel. 

Wahoo comes out and Jim Ross starts the segment off by showing a tape from last week where Kevin Sullivan, The Barbarian, and Haku seemed to break “Baby Bull” Leon White’s arm with a steel chair.

Wahoo McDaniel:  Enough is enough Sullivan.  Every time anyone steps into the ring with you, you forget all about wrestling and just try to hurt them.  I wouldn’t have a problem with that if it was you doing the hurting.  I mean I know this is professional wrestling.  I know this is a sport for a man’s man.  I know we have to put on our big boy pants and get in the ring night after night and put our bodies on the line.  No problem with that… but you Sullivan, know you stand no chance in the ring alone so you keep calling in your minions to do your dirty work.  Two on One, Three on one attacks.  Night after night but it’s coming to an end.  I got a few friends who I called last week after you attacked Leon and they said they would need to tie up a few loose but they would be here soon!  Oh Sullivan, I think you have woke some sleeping giants and the end is near for you.

Jim Ross:  Thank you Wahoo.  I can’t wait to see who is coming here to join you in taking out Kevin Sullivan.  It is long past due and what he did to Leon White last week was totally uncalled for.  Fans, let’s get to the ring.

MATCH

Iceman Parsons & Terry Taylor vs Killer Tim Brooks & Jimmy Jack

A couple things to note here.  First Taylor and Iceman came out to “We Are Family” and they seemed to be 100% on the same page.  Secondly, this team of Killer Brooks and Jimmy Jack were no slouches themselves.  They were mean, violent and relentless.  While these teams are new to Mid-South, they had the fans on the edge of their seats.  Taylor and Iceman survived the bout as Iceman hit the Butt Bump on Brooks and then quickly tagged in Taylor who hit the 5 Arm for the pin.  As the ref raised the fan favorites hand in victory, Jimmy Jack attacked and the fight was back on!  These teams fought all the way to the back on the arena as we headed to break with Ross and Watts hyping up the energy of our first bout and all the new stars coming to Mid-South Wrestling. 

COMMERCIAL

MATCH

“The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff destroyed SD Jones with the end mercifully coming after a nasty Russian Sickle. 

Ivan Koloff and Krusher Kruschev join Nikita at the interview desk.

Ivan Koloff:  Where is the video?  Every time I turn on da TV, I see you showing a video of some past match where some American has done wonderful thing.  Now, where is da video?

Jim Ross:  What video are you talking about Ivan?

Ivsn Koloff:  I am talking about the video tape of when the incompetent referee made a three count against Nikita at WresltWar against Magnum T.A. when it was obvious his shoulders where up.

Jim Ross:  I am sorry Mr. Koloff but we do not have any video of that match.  As far as I remember, Nikita was pinned by Magnum T.A.

Ivan Koloff:  No chance Mr. Jim Ross.  This is just another example of American cheating.  Nikita should be the NWA World Champion and you know it.  Speaking of Magnum T.A., where has he been.  I tell you where.  He is running as far from Nikita as he could.  He knows he could never beat my nephew and if he ever returns to Mid-South, we will prove just that.

Jim Ross:  I can promise you he will return. I have known Magnum for a long time and he has ever backed down from  challenge. 

Ivan Koloff:  There has never been a challenge like The Russian Nightmare, Nikita Koloff.

Nikita Koloff:  MAGNUM T.A., I WILL FINISH YOU!

As we head to break, we see as add come across the screen that announces the return of

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:

The Freebirds defeat Tom Stone & Jerry Boulder when Gordy hit the piledriver on Stone. 

The Freebirds where extremely arrogant during the match and they really got the ire of the fans as they bullied Stone and Boulder throughout the match.  While Michael Hayes did not wrestle in the match, he really toyed with the crowd was pushing all the right buttons to have the fans foaming at the mouth in anger

Michael Hayes:  Simply put Jim Ross.  I am the prettiest man in the world today.  Ron Bass… Black Bart… are you jealous?  Are you jealous you don’t have a face like this?   Zoom that camera in here.  Get a good look at me.  Purely Sexy!  I’ve been wrestling for a long, long time and as I just said, I am real pretty.  You know what that means.  When I’m in the ring, I am the Grand Daddy of them all.  I mean I don’t get hit.  I do the hitting.  I don’t get kicked.  I do the kicking.  That’s why I look like I do, and Ron Bass and Black Bart look the way they do.  When it is all said and done, The Fabulous Freebirds will be walking out of the Sportatorium with those Mid-South Tag Team Titles on April 19th.  Man, will that feel good… just like the old days when we went down to Texas and kicked some VonErich you know what…. and then took their ladies and had a real good time.  Bad Street is coming to Dallas and their aint nothing you can do about it.

Terry Gordy:  I’m 300 pounds of rompin, stompin, grave yard destruction.  I’m 1/3 of the Fabulous Freebirds.  That’s right… Fabulous Freebirds.  Should I be concearned that Ron Bass and Black Bart want a piece of us?  The answer is no.  People have wanted a piece of us for our entire lives and by the end of the night, they have had a change of my mind.  Ross and Bart…. Step in the ring with us and it might be the last thing you do. 

Buddy Roberts:  Ron Bass and Black Bart and any of those other teams who are dumb enough to show up in Dallas on April 19th will learn the hard way why were are the best that there is.  The best that there was and the best that there ever will be.  And I think they will learn the hard way! 

COMMERCIAL

MAIN EVENT MATCH: NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH

Jake “The Snake” Roberts © vs Harley Race

It is obvious that Harley Race is not 100% after he was attacked last week by Tarzan Goto but that doesn’t mean you should count him out.  We get a great match that goes nearly 13 minutes before it seems like Harley has gotten the momentum for the last time and that he is poised to regain his title.  After a good 3 minutes of wrestling from the top, Harley hoists the Snake up for the vetical suplex and smashes him to the ground.  Harley climbs to the top rope and looks like he is going for the top rope diving headbutt.

WHAM…. As the crowd groaned, Harley is tossed off the top rope and crashes to the matt as Tarzan Goto has attacked Race for the third time in 3 weeks.  Goto works over Race as the ref calls for the bell awarding Harley the match but not the title he was looking for.

As Snake recovered from the suplex he sees that Goto is working offer Race.  The Snake doesn’t join in which made people think that he was telling the truth saying he wasn’t involved.  As Snake simple walks off set, we hear Jim Ross.

Jim Ross:  Oh my… it can’t be.  It isn’t?  It is.  That’s Larry Zbysko strutting to the ring.  He laughs.  Smacks Goto on the back in a gesture of thanks and then joins in the attack on Harley.  Folks, this is bad.  Real bad and we need some help out here.  Sorry but we are out of time.  So long from the sooner state.

DARK MATCH:

Ron Starr & Black Bart defeated Ivan Koloff & Kruscher Kruschev when Ivan rushed at Bart with the Russian chaim but accidently hit his own partner.  Bart followed this up by leaping off the top rope with the double leg drop and the Cowboys got the pin over the Russians.

NWA MID SOUTH WRESTLING

APRIL 10, 1986

MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

(Matches from the show on April 5)

STILL TRYING TO ADJUST MID-SOUTH ROSTER SO THIS SHOW WILL JUST BE AN UPDATE OF ANGLES.

1.  MID-SOUTH TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT:  SPORTATORIUM:  APRIL 19th

Watts announces the following teams for the tournament:  Ivan Koloff & Kruscher Kruschev, The Fabulous Freebirds, Ron Bass & Black Bart, Terry Taylor & Iceman Parsons, Haku & The Barbarian, and “Killer” Brooks & Jimmy Jack.

When Jim Ross reminds Watts that he only named 6 of the 8 teams, Watts explains that Wahoo McDaniel will be here later with a mystery partner and they will be the 7th team. 

Watts says that before he introduces the last time, he would like to invite Harley Race to come out.  Watts explains that the 8th spot was going to go to Larry Zbyszko and Tarzan Goto but Harley Race just came to him  and convinced him that because of the recent antics of Zbyszko and Goto, he and a partner of his choosing should have a chance to wrestle Zbyszko and Goto for that last spot in the tournament.  Watts says he agreed.  When Larr Z. came out to object, Harley came out to confront his former partner.  This lasted only about a minute before Goto attacked Race.  This was a short-lived advantage for the heels as we found out who Harley’s partner is going to be…. None other than the wild man himself…. Bruiser Brody!  With Brody on the warpath, the fan favorites soon controlled the brawl as Zbyszko and Goto beat a hasty retreat.    

2.  Who will face Magnum T.A. at the Sportatorium on April 19th

After a squash win by Kruscher Kruschev, he was joined by Ivan and Nikita Koloff at the post-match interview where Ivan again calls out Magnum T.A. as being a coward for not being around since WrestleWar where Nikita clearly had him beat except for the typical American cheating.  Bill Watts disagreed that T.A. was afraid of The Russian Nightmare but he did admit the Nikita was deserving of another title match and that it would take place in Dallas.

3.  Who will face Jake “The Snake” Roberts for the North American Title on April 19th?

There will be a 20 man Battle Royal in Tulsa where the winner will get $10,000 and a North American Title shot. 

4.  One Man Gang is the newest member of Ernie Ladd’s Army to come after Hacksaw Butch Reed and the Mid-South Title.

Since arriving in the NWA about 10 days ago, One Man Gang has crushed each and every opponent in near record time with each win coming by way of the 747 Splash.  Ladd and Gang keep calling out Reed and seem to be having a grand time stretchering out opponent after opponent.  In a few interviews, Reed admits that Gang in one big dude but that only means he is going to make a loud noise when he hits the mat.  While they have yet to physically, this is one to keep an eye on.

NWA MID SOUTH WRESTLING

APRIL 17, 1986

Civic Center

Tulsa, Oklahoma

(Matches from the show on April 19)

Jim Ross:  Hey everybody!  Welcome to another hour of exciting Mid-South Wrestling. I’m Jim Ross and it’s certainly my privilege to have NWA President, Cowboy Bill Watts as my partner on today’s show.  Thank you, Bill, for being with us.  A great hour instore for everybody as the lineup is jam packed with great matches, but everybody is talking about the $10,000 Over the Top Battle Royal where the winner will also get a shot at Jack “The Snake” Roberts and the North American Title. 

Bill Watts:  And that is understandable Jim.  I mean Battle Royals are just so exciting as so many things can happen, and we are never sure who will come out on top.  Couple that with the 10 grand and the title shot to boot and that is going to be one heck of an event. 

Jim Ross:  And with competitors like Bruiser Brody, Terry Gordy, Blackjack Mulligan, Ivan Koloff and One Man Gang, anything could happen.

Bill Watts:  And I can’t tell you who but one of the biggest names in all of professional wrestling is in the building tonight just to win that Battle Royal a get a shot at the North American Title.

Jim Ross:  Any hint Mr. President?

Bill Watts:  Sorry Jim.  You’ll just have to wait like everyone else, but I can tell you, you won’t have to wait for great action.  Also, on tonight’s show the One Man Gang with Ernie Ladd against Terry Taylor.  Hacksaw Butch Reed will take on Kruscher Kruschev.  It will be Wahoo McDaniel & Blackjack Mulligan vs The Barbarian & Haku with Kevin Sullivan.  Also, we will see Harley Race & Bruiser Brody take on Larry Zbyszko & Tarzan Goto and the winner earns the last spot in the Mid-South Tag team tournament next week in the Sportatorium in Dallas, Texas.

Jim Ross:  You weren’t lying Cowboy.  That is some night of wrestling. Let’s get to the ring.

MATCH:

One Man Gang with Ernie Ladd vs Terry Taylor

Before the bout One Man Gang and Ernie Ladd stop by the interview desk for a word with Jim & Cowboy.

Ernie Ladd:  Okay Watts… the bodies are mounting.  The hospital bills are piling up!  How many people is One Man Gang going to have to hurt before you give him what he deserves…. A Mid-South title shot against that big dummy… The Hack Butch Reed.

Cowboy Bill Watts:  I believe you mean Hacksaw Butch Reed… and while I agree that One Man Gang has been impressive since his arrival her in Mid-South Wrestling…. A good three-week period does not necessarily earn you a title match.  When OMG has earned that match with Butch Reed, he certainly will get it.

Ernie Ladd:  Forgive if your word means nothing to me.  I have been lied to by you over and over again.  Just remember one thing… each and every body is on you.  Each ambulance trip by a wrestler could have been prevented by you,  OH, and by the way, I hope you or anyone here doesn’t think Terry Taylor stands a chance tonight.

Cowboy Bill Watts:  In fact, I do.  It’s time you and your mouth head to the ring.

As for the match, Taylor understands what he is up against so he plays a bit of cat and mouse where he can use his speed and skill to overcome the massive weight difference.  While it works, he is unable to take Gang off his feet.  Eventually Taylor is caught and OMG begins to go to work.  The fans get behind Taylor who makes a comeback and is about to hit the ropes for the 5 ARM to try and take the gang down but….

WHAM… Taylor is tripped by Ladd.

WHAM…. 747 Splash by One Man Gang.

1…2…3!

With the help of Ladd, One Man Gang continues his winning ways, but it doesn’t seem to be enough.  Ladd orders Gang to hit Taylor with another splash.

WHAM… 747 Splash by Gang.

Ladd orders another.

The crowd erupts as here comes Hacksaw Butch Reed and Iceman Parsons.

WHAM… Butt Bump by Parsons on Ladd

WHAM… Top Rope Football Tackle by Reed on Gang and Gang actually falls through the ropes out onto the floor. 

WHAM…. Reed tosses Ladd out of the ring and he lands right by Gang.

The crowd erupts as the fan favorites are in control of the ring and daring Ladd and Gang to return but instead, they slowly make their way to the locker room.  Reed and Parsons help Taylor up, but we can see the damage has been done to his ribs.  A quick, heated promo by Reed as he is begging Bill Watts to sign a match for him with Gang. 

COMMERCIAL + PROMOS FOR THE UPCOMING EVENT IN THE SPORTATORIUM

MATCH:

Wahoo McDaniel & Blackjack Mulligan vs The Barbarian & Haku with Kevin Sullivan

As you could expect, the bout is a war!  Also, as you could expect, Sullivan just can’t help himself and gets involved early and often.  The ref has no choice but to call for the bell and disqualify Sullivan’s men but that does nothing to stop Sullivan and his goons.  The Barbarian and Haku focus on Mulligan which after a minute or two, even the big man from Texas can’t handle these two monsters.  With chaos and carnage all over the ring, the crowd explodes…

Jim Ross:  Oh, I don’t believe it… yes…. Here comes the American Dream…. It’s Dusty Rhodes.

Rhodes is like a house of fire.  Right hands and Bionic Elbows are flying!  Sullivan goes down… Haku goes down… Barbarian goes down.  Now with the numbers game being even, the good guys are all over Sullivan and his men!

Jim Ross:  I don’t believe my eyes… Sullivan is retreating.  Haku and the Barbarian are running away.  Oh my…. This has been a long time coming. 

Dusty Rhodes grabs the house microphone…

Dusty Rhodes:  Keeebbbin….. Keeeebbbin Sullivan….Where ya going?  Come on Sullivan… Get your coward behind back in this ring!  I’ve been away for 90 days!  90 days I’ve had to think about how goooood it would be to get my hands on you!  The American Dream had to sit back…. Sit back and watch you hurt my fiends!  Leon White…. Mike Graham…. Wahoo McDaniel and I could do nothing about it.  The American Dream was suspended for fire-balling the head of the Sheik and all I could think about was how upset I was that I didn’t get the chance to finish you also.  Wellllll, the Dream is back!  Blackjack Mulligan is back!  Wahoo McDaniel’s here…. And together, we are going to make you wish your momma raised a lawyer or a doctor.  We gonna hurt you like you hurt others.  Sullivan….I can’t wait to end your career if you Wiiiilllllll!  Oh its good to be back.

Jim Ross:  Ok, Bill…. Was Dusty Rhodes the surprise entrant into the battle royal tonight.

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Well now that the cats out of the bag, fans make sure to stay tuned to the entire show tonight as Dusty Rhodes will be back in an NWA ring for the first time in 1986!

MATCH:  MID SOUTH TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT SPOT ON THE LINE:

Harley Race & Bruiser Brody vs Larry Zbyszko & Tarzan Goto

Pre-Match Interview:

Bruiser Brody:  Bill Watts…It’s good to be back in the NWA and its good to be in the ring with the legend himself… Harley Race.  Harley called me up last week and said that weasel, Larry Zbyszko is back and this time he has some goon from China with him and he asked me if I could come down and lend him a hand.  It’s not everyday you get a call from the 8-time World Champion but when you do you listen.  Harley has done more for this sport then anyone I can think of and I’m just not going to allow a no-good low life like Zbyszko to try and make a name for himself at the expense of Harley.  Tonight, is the first step to eliminating Zbyszko and the Tarzan Goto!

Harley Race:  I dare you… I dare you Zbyszko to try some of your funny business tonight.  King Kong Brody hear is one of the toughest, wildest, most unpredictable men in all of wrestling history and I am just glad he is in my corner!

As for the match, each wrestler gets some time to shine but in the end with Race and Zbyszko outside of the ring and Brody and Goto bleeding inside the ring, we see Goto come off the ring for the running lariat….

WHAM… Race is able to trip up Goto from the outside.

WHAM…. Double Leg Drop by Brody

WHAM… Running Knee Drop by Brody

1….2…3!

The crowd pops as Brody gets the win and rushes out to help Race vs Zbyszko!  We get a minute or two of the babyfaces doing some heel action to Zbyszko, but it all ends when the ref threatens to reverse the decision.  Once order is restored, Watts and Ross hype up the fact that Brody and Race are now officially the last team into the Mid-South Tag Team Tournament set for April 19th at the Sportotorium with the other teams being …. Ivan Koloff & Kruscher Kruschev, The Fabulous Freebirds, Ron Bass & Black Bart, Terry Taylor & Iceman Parsons, Haku & The Barbarian, and “Killer” Brooks & Jimmy Jack.

$10,000 OVER THE TOP ROPE BATTLE ROYAL:  WINNER GETS NORTH AMERICAN TITLE SHOT IN DALLAS

(HIGHLIGHTS)

-Kevin Sullivan kept up his antics but this time he might have just achieved exactly what he wanted as he took out some sort of golden spike and stuck in right into the eye of Wahoo McDaniel.  Wahoo was then tossed outside the ring where he was rolling around in severe discomfort as doctor’s attempted to help him, but it seemed like this gruesome incident has caused Wahoo a severe injury.

-  One Gang ended up eliminating each other as they were bearhugging each other against the ropes as Killer Tim Brooks pulled down the rope and the two toppled over out onto the floor as the brawl continued.

-Harley Race, Bruiser Brody, Larry Z and Tarzan Goto continued their brawl from earlier on but this led to some eliminating sneak attacks by the Russians (Ivan and Kruschev).

-Eventually we have a final 4 of Terry Gordy, Dusty Rhodes, Ivan Koloff and Kruscher Kruschev.  Interesting thing here was that Terry Gordy made an alliance with the American Dream which the crowd loved.  We basically have a wild tag team bout for a few minutes until Terry Gordy is hit by a low blow by Ivan.  Ivan and Kruschev double team Dusty and eliminate him in a wild Bear Hug by Ivan, Sickle by Kruscher combo.

WHAM… Double Clothesline by Bam Bam and both Russians are eliminated.  Terry Gordy, the winner of the $10,000 is going to have a busy night in the Sportatorium as he and the Freebirds will be in the Mid-South tag team tournament and he will also be facing Jake “The Snake” Roberts for the NWA North American Title!

Jim Ross:  Before we go off the air, we have a note that was just passed along to us by the doctors on site and Wahoo McDaniel has suffered a serious eye injury and will not be able to wrestle in the Mid-South tag team tournament.  We wish Wahoo a speedy recover as that was a disgusting act by Kevin Sullivan.  Bill, what is going to happen in the tournament as it seems Blackjack Mulligan is without a partner?

Cowboy Bill Watts:  First of all, the tournament is second to the health of Wahoo and we wish him a speedy recover.  I had time on out last commercial break to go to the locker room to discuss the situation with Blackjack Mulligan and I think we have the perfect solution… Blackjack’s new partner will be none other than “THE AMERICAN DREAM” DUSTY RHODES!

Jim Ross:  Oh my…. Kevin Sullivan… you have crossed the line and I bet if the American Dream or Blackjack Mulligan has the chance to get revenge for their buddy Wahoo, they will not hesitate to do so.  So long from the Sooner State!

DARK MATCHES

Jimmy Jack defeats Steve Simpson with the Bulldog after help by Killer Tim Brooks

DJ Peterson defeats Mark Fleming with a powerslam in this match of babyfaces that began and ended with a handshake.

Michael Hayes & Ron Bass wrestled to a Double-Count out in a grudge match that saw the rest of the Freebirds attack Bass after the bout.  Black Bart came to his rescue, but the numbers game still allowed the Freebirds to come out on top of this brawl.

MID SOUTH TITLE MATCH

Hacksaw Butch Reed defeated Kruscher Khrushchev with a Top Rope Shoulder Block.  Uncle Ivan quickly attacked after the bell and then the situation got worse for the champ as One Man Gang hit the ring with Ernie Ladd, and they got even for earlier action as Gang followed up the Big Boot by Ladd with a 747 splash of his own.  The babyfaces from the locker room rushed the ring and to Reed’s credit, he left under his own power but first he grabbed the house mic and was screaming about how bad he wanted a match with One Man Gang. 

NWA MID SOUTH WRESTLING

APRIL 19, 1986

SPORTATORIUM

DALLAS, TX

Jim Ross:  Hey everybody!  Welcome to a special three- hour episode of Mid-South Wrestling coming to you from the world famous Sportatorium in downtown Dallas, Texas.  I’m Jim Ross and it’s certainly my privilege to have NWA President, Cowboy Bill Watts as my partner on today’s show.  Thank you, Bill, for being with us.  We have an historic event instore for everybody tonight.  We will be seeing an 8 team tournament to crown new Mid-South Tag Team Champions.  Also, Terry Gordy will try to take the North American Title from Jake “The Snake” Roberts and Magnum T.A. will be taking on the Russian Nightmare, Nikita Koloff in an NWA World Heavyweight Title matches.   

Bill Watts: Tonight will be another great night for the NWA but before we get to the ring, I have a special announcement for everyone.  This week, the NWA added Western States Wrestling to its great family of NWA promotions.  Now, wrestling fans all across the great state of Texas (the fans in the Sportatorium give a loud cheer) New Mexico, Oklahoma and Colorado will be able see great NWA action in person.  That’s not all!  Ted Turner, the great owner of WTBS, Channel 17, is all in on NWA Wrestling and he will air Western States Wrestling each and every Saturday morning at 9:35. Trust me fans, you will not want to miss a moment of the action.  Western States Wrestling has a reputation of being a territory full of nonstop action where only the toughest can survive. 

Jim Ross:  Wow…. What a huge addition this is going to be for the NWA and Superstation 17.  It seems like 1986 has just began but it is already an historic year for the NWA and when tonight is over, more history will be made.  Let’s get to the ring for the first match in the Mid-South tag team tournament.

MID-SOUTH TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT:  FIRST ROUND MATCH

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes & Blackjack Mulligan vs “Killer” Tim Brooks & Jimmy Jack

The problem in this one was that Brooks and Jimmy Jack wanted to take this one to the gutter right away which was right up the alley of Rhodes and Mulligan.  In the end, we see a clean victory when 6’9, 340 pound Blackjack Mulligan followed up Dusty’s Bionic Elbow on Brooks with his own flying back elbow smash to the face.  Brooks basically collapsed and Mulligan locked in the brain claw as the ref made the 3 count.  Watts and Ross wondered with all of their size, talent and experience, if anyone could beat Rhodes and Mulligan. 

Terry Taylor & Iceman Parsons vs “The Russian Bear” Nikita Koloff & Kruscher Kruschoff

The good news here is that Taylor and Parsons continue to be on the same page and to work well together.  The bad news was that the ref, Alfred Neely, was knocked down when he got in the way of a butt bump by Iceman on Koloff.  Koloff managed to smuggle a small chain out of his trunks and clobber Iceman right in the jaw and Parsons went down like a sack of potatoes.  Taylor never saw this as he was brawling on the outside with Kruschev.  Neely recovered enough to make the 3 count and the Russians move on.  Watts and Ross hope to God that when all is said and done that Koloff and Kruschev don’t leave with the Mid-South tag titles and Nikita with the NWA World Title.

Harley Race & Brusier Brody vs Haku & The Barbarian with Kevin Sullivan

Ross and Watts wonder if Sullivan is going to be the tipping point in this battle of wild men and it didn’t take long to see answer that question.  Three minutes into the match, Sullivan tried to give his team an advantage as the Barbarian and Brody rolled out onto the floor. 

Jim Ross:  Watch out, here comes Sullivan.

WHAM…. Big knee lift by Brody on Sullivan.  Sullivan staggers back into the enemie’s corner.

WHAM….  Suplex by Harley Race on Sullivan on the concreate and that is basically the end of Sullivan for the night.

The problem here for both teams was that it was big move after big move and every pin attempt ended up with a save from the corner.  Eventually we end up with all 4 men in the ring at one time.

Just picture pure chaos where anything could happen …… and did!

We hear the fans moan as Jim Ross announces that Larry Zbyszko and Tarzan Goto are heading to the ring.  Zbyszko with his Nun-Chucks and Goto was a bamboo cane.

As Zbyszko and Goto hit the ring, they go right after Harley Race.  The ref calls for the bell giving Race and Brody the win.  The real problem was something we have seen in the past.  Kevin Sullivan could care less about titles!  He is not the least bit upset and Zbyszko and his Asian monster!  Sullivan tells his men to help them and now it is 5 against 2!

As tough as Race and Brody are they stand no chance here.

From the nunchucks to the bamboo cane to Haku’s savat kick to the Barbarian’s top rope shoulder block and Sullivan’s continuous kicks and punches, Race and Brody are left in a heap in the center of the ring.  Watts and Ross wonder if Brody and Race will even be able to come out for the next match.

The Fabulous Freebirds vs Ron Bass & Black Bart

Before the match starts, Bill Watts informs the fans that the Freebirds will not be able to switch teammates during the tournament and that it will be Terry Gordy and Buddy Roberts doing the wrestling and Michael Hayes acting as a “spectator.”  Jim Ross wonders if that is such a good plan as Terry Gordy will also be wrestling for the NWA North American Title tonight.  Bill Watts agreed but he has learned never to question the plan of the Freebirds as they are one of the most successful tag teams in NWA history.

As for the bout, it’s personal.  These two teams have been after each other for over a month now and they waste no time bothering with the technical stuff.  This is easily the longest match of the first round as it goes over twenty minutes and includes many momentum changes with everybody getting some time to wrestle from the top.  Eventually we see Bass and Bart in control as Bass connects with the Texas Gourdbuster on Buddy Roberts.  Bass tags in Bart and we see a double clothesline from the team known as “The Wild Bunch.”  Terry Gordy rushes in to stop the double team only to be stopped by ref Jerry Usher.  Black Bart climbs to top rope setting up the Texas Trash Compactor (Top Rope Double Leg Drop)

WHAM… with the ref dealing with Gordy, Michale Hayes came from behind and shoved Bart to the canvass.  Ron Bass is now in hot pursuit of Hayes.

It is a race to see who gets up first…. Buddy Roberts or Black Bart!  The fans are cheering on Bart who is using the ropes to help him up.  Roberts gets to his knees, rolls over and the crowd moans as he makes the tag.  Bart is up and goes to his corner but Bass is missing.

WHAM…. Gordy, at full speed, crushes Bart into the corner.  Bart crumbles to the ground.  Gordy drags him to the center.  He goes for the piledriver…. Blocked by Black Bart.  Gordy reloads….

WHAM…. Piledriver by Gordy. Bass sees what happens and is rushing back to the ring.

1….2…..3!

WHAM… Bass with a knee to the back of Gordy but it is too late to make the save!  The Freebirds move on.

MID-SOUTH TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT:  SEMI-FINALS

The American Dream Dusty Rhodes & Blackjack Mulligan vs “The Russian Bear” Ivan Koloff & Kruscher Kruschev

The love for Rhodes and Mulligan was through the roof here as you would expect against the Russians.  We get a pretty good brawl in this one and as the action turned to chaos, we see all 4 men in the ring.  With the ref struggling to gain control, Koloff tries the same trick as he did in the first match.  Ivan once again reaches into his trunks and pulls out the small chain.  He wraps the chain around his fist and lines up the American Dream….

WHAM…. Dusty ducks under the right hand by Koloff and catches Ivan with a bionic elbow.

Dream takes a peek at the ref who is still dealing with Mulligan and Kruscher.  Dusty reaches down and takes the chain off the Russian Bear and he wraps it around his own hand.  He looks to the crowd for approval, and they more than grant it.  Dusty drags Koloff up by his head.

WHAM… Dusty with a huge blow to the head of Koloff and Koloff simply collapses.  Dusty covers Ivan as Mulligan sends Kruschev through the ropes with a big boot.  The ref turns and begins the count.

1….2….3! 

Dusty and Mulligan move on to the finals.

Harley Race & Brusier Brody vs The Fabulous Freebirds

The problem here for Race and Brody was that it was obvious that they were less than 100% after the attack after the first match by Zbyszko and Goto and that makes a match against the Freebirds really difficult.  Give Race and Brody their due.  They gave it their all and had the Freebirds on the ropes.  Michael Hayes seemed pretty wary of Harley and Bruiser so he stayed away from the action as much as he could.  That is until the end.  Terry Gordy scooped up Brody for a big powerslam and then he dragged the big man up by his wild hair only to toss his out of the ring through the ropes.  The camera picks up Michael Hayes scampering under the ring as the ref began his count on Brody.  Brody seemed to be struggling to get up to his feet by Jim Ross credited that to the fact that he has really taken some punishment in this match.  As the ref got to 5, Brody was still on the floor.  It looked like he was trying to get up but just couldn’t get his legs under him.  The camera on the other side gets a peek at Brody and we see Michael Hayes, under the ring apron, holding Brody’s legs.  The crowd starts screaming and Harley hustles over to see what is going on.

Ref’s count…6….7…..

Race sees Hayes and goes after him.

8…..

WHAM…. Race clobbers Hayes….

9…..

Brody up and trying to get up on the apron to break the count.

10!

Winners by count-out….. The Fabulous Freebirds!  Michael Hayes is on of the dirtiest players in the game. 

NWA NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH

Jake “The Snake” Roberts vs Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy

Maybe it’s because of who Jake “The Snake” is or maybe the fans here in the Boutwell Auditorium remember that Gordy sided with the American Dream in last week’s Battle Royal against the Russians but the fans are clearly behind the Freebird.

As for the match, it is like watching one man want the match to be like a bull in a china closet while the other wants it to be like a corrupt game of 3 Card Monty.  Bam Bam struggles to get his hands on the sleazy snake but when he does, it is one power move after another.  Roberts is able keep Gordy at bay with eye rakes, knees to the gut and a few running clotheslines. 

In the end, Gordy seemed to be in control but, he paused for just a second and almost was caught by Roberts with a DDT.  Gordy somehow shoved him off at the last second.  As Roberts came off the ropes…. WHAM……

Football Tackle by Gordy followed by a Piledriver by Gordy.  

1….2….3!

The crowd with a nice pop as Jim Ross announces we have a new North American Champion!

MID-SOUTH TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT:  FINALS

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes & Blackjack Mulligan vs The Fabulous Freebirds

Interesting thing to note here was that the fans who had supported Gordy just a few minutes ago, we now solidly against him.  Jim Ross called this the Michael Hayes Effect as anyone who sided with the leader of the Freebirds will receive the wrath of the fans.

The match is a struggle for both teams after a long night of wrestling, but Ross and Watts are amazed at the stamina of Terry Gordy as this is his third match in a row and 4th of the night against the likes of Ron Bass, Black Bart, Bruiser Brody, Jake Roberts, Dusty Rhodes and Blackjack Mulligan.

Back and forth we go until the ref gets in the way of a Terry Gordy Irish Whip on Dusty Rhodes.  With Dusty and the ref down, Michael Hayes once again sees his chance to impact the bout.  He orders Buddy Roberts to attack Mulligan.  While this doesn’t go well for Roberts, it takes Mulligan away from the action in the ring.  Hayes tells Gordy to get Dusty up.  Hayes grabs a chair ….

WHAM…. Dusty broke free of Gordy at the last second and Hayes clobbers Terry Gordy.

The look of shock on the face of Hayes is priceless while Dusty quickly covers Gordy.

1…2….3!

Rhodes and Mulligan are the new Mid-South tag team champs as the crowd goes wild!  Roberts and Hayes are dejected as they go to help up their fallen teammate!

WHAM….

Jim Ross:  I don’t believe what I just saw.  Michael Hayes is beating Terry Gordy with the chair.  Buddy Roberts throws his hands up and leaves in frustration.  Over and over again, Hayes hits Gordy with the chair.

WHAM…. Big Boot by Blackjack Mulligan on Hayes and he falls out to the floor.  Mulligan dares Hayes to come back but Michael thinks better of it and heads to the locker room.  Dusty and Mulligan help the battered Gordy and the three champs leave to a huge ovation!

NWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

Magnum T.A. vs “The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff

Let’s just get to the finish with this monster of a main event that was announced as time remaining time limit. 

Irish Whip by Magnum T.A. on Nikita.  Magnum goes for the belly to belly suplex, but in a display of super human strength, the Russian Nightmare blocks it.  T.A. and Nikita stare at each other for a second.  Nikita with a monstrous scream….

WHAM…. Russian Sickle.  Nikita covers Magnum.

1….2…. DING DING…. Three.

Jim Ross:  Folks, Magnum T.A., by the skin if his teeth,  has successfully defended his NWA World Title as this bout has ended in a time limit draw.  What a night of wrestling we just saw.  Don’t forget to join us next Saturday on WTBS at our regular scheduled time.  So long from the Lone Star State.

NWA MID SOUTH WRESTLING

MAY 1, 1986

IRISH McNEIL’S BOYS CLUB

SHREVEPORT,LA

Jim Ross:  Hey everybody!  I’m Jim Ross and it’s certainly my privilege to have NWA President, Cowboy Bill Watts as my partner on today’s show.  Thank you, Bill, for being with us.  Folks, we have so much to get to tonight after a wild night of Wrestling from the Sportatorium in Dallas last week. 

Bill Watts: You said a mouth full there Jim.  First, congratulations to the new Mid-South tag team champions, “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes and Blackjack Mulligan.  They were able to somehow, be the last team standing in that tremendous tag team tournament. 

Jim Ross:  That was one of the best tournaments I have seen in a long, long time.  We also have a new North American Champion as Terry Gordy beat Jake “the Snake” Roberts.

Bill Watts:  The question is…. Is Terry Gordy still a member of the Freebirds?

Jim Ross:  We will hopefully get an answer to the question a little later as we will hear from both Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy. 

Bill Watts:  That will be interesting as will be “The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff’s first match since he nearly became the NWA World Champion in Dallas.

Jim Ross:  Wow… that was some match he had with Magnum T.A. and even Magnum would say he is lucky to still be the champ!

Instead of giving match results today, I am going to update everybody on a few wrestlers….

1.  Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy

Michael Hayes participated in singles competition tonight against Vernon Biggs.  Ross and Watts made a big deal of Hayes wrestling alone which they speculated meant the end to the Freebirds.  After the match we get an emotional interview with Hayes.

Jim Ross:  I got to ask…. Why did you attack your fellow freebird, Terry Gordy at the Sportatorium? 

Michael Hayes:  (rather subdued) Jim Ross…. You know that tag team wrestling has always been kind of my specialty.  In fact… it has been the specialty of the Fabulous Freebirds.  When I first came back to the NWA 4 months ago, I told you that I almost left wrestling.  I told you if not for a buddy of mine, I would have been happy partying down on Bad Street USA.  The reason I was done was that Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy had gotten to full of himself out on the West Coast.  He started putting himself in front of the Freebirds and going after singles titles.  Buddy Jack and I gave him our blessing as long as he put the team first.  Well, Terry and his ego couldn’t do that.  He always had to be the man.  Instead of being satisfied by being the best tag team in the world, he had to be the center of attention.  I almost lost my cool out there on the West Coast but instead of attacking my brother, I decided to take my ball and go home.  Well Terry came to me around New Year’s Eve and said… Michael…. Let’s put our problems behind us.  Let’s put the band back together again.  Let’s get Freebird Mania back to where it belongs!  Me being the man that I am was willing to let by gones be by gones. Let’s fast forward to the other night?  Who decided the Mid-South Tag Team Titles weren’t enough?  Terry Gordy.  Who decided he had to go after the NWA North American Title on the same night as the big tournament?  Terry Gordy.  Who cost us the titles?  Terry Gordy.  I mean how much more do I have to take…. The ANSWER IS NO MORE.  Terry, you and I aren’t through but we are through being on the same side.  There is a lot more fight in this Freebird…. And it really hurts me to wonder if there will ever be The Freebirds again. 

While the new North American Champion, Terry Gordy was not in Shreveport, we did see a quick clip of Gordy after he was hit with a chair by Michael Hayes in the Sportatorium and he kept screaming….. Why? Over and over again.

2.  Wahoo McDaniel:

Jim Ross informed us that Wahoo will not be with us for the foreseeable future as he has some contractual obligations all over the country.  He explains that Wahoo is disappointed that he was not able to be here tonight and that he guarantees that he is healthy and fully recovered from the attack by Kevin Sullivan and that he will try to be back in the NWA real soon. 

3.  Ted Dibiase & Dr. Death Steve Williams

To say that the NWA World Tag Team champs are fuming is an understatement.  They are white hot after their recent trip to Amarillo where Tojo Yamamoto’s Zaibatsu stable of Mr. Pogo, Kendo Nagasaki, Kim Duk and Jumbo Tsurata not only attacked them after their victory over Pogo and Nagasaki but they STOLE the NWA tag titles.  This interview was so full of Japanese slurs that even the very patriotic Bill Watts was a little offended.  Dibiase and Dr. Death ended the interview by saying that Zaibatsu better return these titles if they know what is good for them.  Bill Watts tried to calm the champs down by letting them know that whether or not they have the actual belts doesn’t matter as they are still recognized as the champs.  This does little to help the demeanor of Dibiase and Doc.

4.  Nikita Koloff with Uncle Ivan and Kruscher Kruschev

After having the bell sound for the time limit draw just before the ref was to complete the 3 count making Nikita Koloff the NWA World Champ, you could bet that the Russians were red hot once again.  Think of every name in the book that Ivan could have called the cheating Americans and you still would have missed a few.  Ivan did end the interview by making some sense here as he said that even though Magnum T.A. is still the so-called NWA World Champion, he knows that he could never beat Nikita.

Ivan went on to announce that he and Kruscher are also coming after the NWA Mid-South Tag team champions, “The American Dream” and Blackjack Mulligan.

5.  Hacksaw Butch Reed

In an interview with Bill Watts, it is apparent that Reed, the Mid-South Champion, is not the least bit concerned with One Man Gang and Ernie Ladd and that he is looking forward to next week’s match against the fat man in the Sam Houston Coliseum.

6.  Harley Race & Bruiser Brody

Another group full of anger this week as they want a piece of Larry Zbyszko and Tarzan Goto after they were attacked during the recent tag team tournament.  This will be another bout the fans in Houston are looking forward to next week.

7.  Leon “Baby Bull” White

This was by far the strangest and scariest moment of the night.  Leon was with Jim Ross saying that his broken arm was just about heeled and that he should be back in action in just a week or so.  This is when Kevin Sullivan, the man responsible for the injury, appeared.  Ross wanted no trouble and Sullivan guaranteed that there would be none but it was “Time for the transformation to begin.”  When asked what that meant, Sullivan just started to laugh.

This is when two huge men wearing dark hoods, presumable Haku and the Barbarian, came up from behind White and put a hood over Leon.  They quickly secured it and tied his hands behind his back.  Sullivan stopped laughing long enough to say, “Let’s Go.”  The trio quickly dragged Leon out as Ross and Watts were calling for help.  Dusty and Mulligan raced out but were to late.  Sullivan was gone.

Jim Ross:  Folks, I have no idea what has just happened.  We will try and have some answers for you next week.  So long from the Pelican state.

Mid-South Title Angle: 

One Man Gang with Ernie Ladd in search of a title shot against Hacksaw Butch Reed.

After a title defense against Ron Slinker where Reed finished off his opponent with a top rope football tackle, Reed gave a spirited promo answering the challenge laid down by Gang and Ladd two weeks ago as Reed has agreed to face Gang

MATCH

One Man Gang with Ernie Ladd defeats Mike Graham with the 747 Splash

In a quick interview, One Man Gang and Ernie Ladd make it clear that they are still waiting for Butch Reed to put his Mid-South Title on the line. 

Later in the show, we get the answer as Butch Reed accepts the challenge for next week in the HemisFair arena. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK + PROMOS FOR THE MONDAY’S CARD IN SAN ANTONIO

The American Dream Dusty Rhodes & Blackjack Mulligan vs “The Russian Bear” Ivan Koloff & Kruscher Kruschev

The love for Rhodes and Mulligan was through the roof here as you would expect against the Russians.  We get a pretty good brawl in this one and as the action turned to chaos, we see all 4 men in the ring.  With the ref struggling to gain control, Koloff tries the same trick as he did in the first match.  Ivan once again reaches into his trunks and pulls out the small chain.  He wraps the chain around his fist and lines up the American Dream….

WHAM…. Dusty ducks under the right hand by Koloff and catches Ivan with a bionic elbow.

Dream takes a peek at the ref who is still dealing with Mulligan and Kruscher.  Dusty reaches down and takes the chain off the Russian Bear and he wraps it around his own hand.  He looks to the crowd for approval, and they more than grant it.  Dusty drags Koloff up by his head.

WHAM… Dusty with a huge blow to the head of Koloff and Koloff simply collapses.  Dusty covers Ivan as Mulligan sends Kruschev through the ropes with a big boot.  The ref turns and begins the count.

1….2….3! 

Dusty and Mulligan move on to the finals.

Harley Race & Brusier Brody vs The Fabulous Freebirds

The problem here for Race and Brody was that it was obvious that they were less than 100% after the attack after the first match by Zbyszko and Goto and that makes a match against the Freebirds really difficult.  Give Race and Brody their due.  They gave it their all and had the Freebirds on the ropes.  Michael Hayes seemed pretty wary of Harley and Bruiser so he stayed away from the action as much as he could.  That is until the end.  Terry Gordy scooped up Brody for a big powerslam and then he dragged the big man up by his wild hair only to toss his out of the ring through the ropes.  The camera picks up Michael Hayes scampering under the ring as the ref began his count on Brody.  Brody seemed to be struggling to get up to his feet by Jim Ross credited that to the fact that he has really taken some punishment in this match.  As the ref got to 5, Brody was still on the floor.  It looked like he was trying to get up but just couldn’t get his legs under him.  The camera on the other side gets a peek at Brody and we see Michael Hayes, under the ring apron, holding Brody’s legs.  The crowd starts screaming and Harley hustles over to see what is going on.

Ref’s count…6….7…..

Race sees Hayes and goes after him.

8…..

WHAM…. Race clobbers Hayes….

9…..

Brody up and trying to get up on the apron to break the count.

10!

Winners by count-out….. The Fabulous Freebirds!  Michael Hayes is on of the dirtiest players in the game. 

NWA NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH

Jake “The Snake” Roberts vs Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy

Maybe it’s because of who Jake “The Snake” is or maybe the fans here in the Boutwell Auditorium remember that Gordy sided with the American Dream in last week’s Battle Royal against the Russians but the fans are clearly behind the Freebird.

As for the match, it is like watching one man want the match to be like a bull in a china closet while the other wants it to be like a corrupt game of 3 Card Monty.  Bam Bam struggles to get his hands on the sleazy snake but when he does, it is one power move after another.  Roberts is able keep Gordy at bay with eye rakes, knees to the gut and a few running clotheslines. 

In the end, Gordy seemed to be in control but, he paused for just a second and almost was caught by Roberts with a DDT.  Gordy somehow shoved him off at the last second.  As Roberts came off the ropes…. WHAM……

Football Tackle by Gordy followed by a Piledriver by Gordy.  

1….2….3!

The crowd with a nice pop as Jim Ross announces we have a new North American Champion!

MID-SOUTH TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT:  FINALS

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes & Blackjack Mulligan vs The Fabulous Freebirds

Interesting thing to note here was that the fans who had supported Gordy just a few minutes ago, we now solidly against him.  Jim Ross called this the Michael Hayes Effect as anyone who sided with the leader of the Freebirds will receive the wrath of the fans.

The match is a struggle for both teams after a long night of wrestling, but Ross and Watts are amazed at the stamina of Terry Gordy as this is his third match in a row and 4th of the night against the likes of Ron Bass, Black Bart, Bruiser Brody, Jake Roberts, Dusty Rhodes and Blackjack Mulligan.

Back and forth we go until the ref gets in the way of a Terry Gordy Irish Whip on Dusty Rhodes.  With Dusty and the ref down, Michael Hayes once again sees his chance to impact the bout.  He orders Buddy Roberts to attack Mulligan.  While this doesn’t go well for Roberts, it takes Mulligan away from the action in the ring.  Hayes tells Gordy to get Dusty up.  Hayes grabs a chair ….

WHAM…. Dusty broke free of Gordy at the last second and Hayes clobbers Terry Gordy.

The look of shock on the face of Hayes is priceless while Dusty quickly covers Gordy.

1…2….3!

Rhodes and Mulligan are the new Mid-South tag team champs as the crowd goes wild!  Roberts and Hayes are dejected as they go to help up their fallen teammate!

WHAM….

Jim Ross:  I don’t believe what I just saw.  Michael Hayes is beating Terry Gordy with the chair.  Buddy Roberts throws his hands up and leaves in frustration.  Over and over again, Hayes hits Gordy with the chair.

WHAM…. Big Boot by Blackjack Mulligan on Hayes and he falls out to the floor.  Mulligan dares Hayes to come back but Michael thinks better of it and heads to the locker room.  Dusty and Mulligan help the battered Gordy and the three champs leave to a huge ovation!

NWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

Magnum T.A. vs “The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff

Let’s just get to the finish with this monster of a main event that was announced as time remaining time limit. 

Irish Whip by Magnum T.A. on Nikita.  Magnum goes for the belly to belly suplex, but in a display of super human strength, the Russian Nightmare blocks it.  T.A. and Nikita stare at each other for a second.  Nikita with a monstrous scream….

WHAM…. Russian Sickle.  Nikita covers Magnum.

1….2…. DING DING…. Three.

Jim Ross:  Folks, Magnum T.A., by the skin if his teeth,  has successfully defended his NWA World Title as this bout has ended in a time limit draw.  What a night of wrestling we just saw.  Don’t forget to join us next Saturday on WTBS at our regular scheduled time.  So long from the Lone Star State.

NWA MID SOUTH WRESTLING

MAY 8, 1986

SAM HOUSTON COLISEUM

HOUSTON, TX

Jim Ross:  Hey everybody!  Welcome to another great episode of Mid-South Wrestling coming to you from the Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston, Texas.  I’m Jim Ross and it’s certainly my privilege to have NWA President, Cowboy Bill Watts as my partner on today’s show.  Thank you, Bill, for being with us.  Before we get to tonight’s show, we must first bring you back to last week and the bizarre actions of Kevin Sullivan.

We see a short video clip where Sullivan interrupted an interview by Leon “Baby Bull’ White.  This served as the needed distraction as two men in black hoods came out and put a third hood over Leon White and then the trio dragged Leon away while Sullivan was saying that “it was time for the transformation to begin.”

Jim Ross:  Very scary ending to last week’s show.  What do you make of it Bill?

Bill Watts:   To be honest with you Jim, when it involves Kevin Sullivan, one never knows what to think.  I can tell you that none of them have been seen since.  The police have been contacted and there is not a trace of Sullivan, Leon White or the two hooded minions that helped Sullivan carry out his devious plan.

Jim Ross:  Well, whatever is going on, we hope Leon White is safe.  If and when we get any information, we will pass it on to everyone immediately.  Now, Bill, we have one heck of a show instore for the fans tonight.

Bill Watts:  That’s for sure.  Tonight, we will see Iceman Parsons take on Hercules Simms.  Newcomers, Frankie “Thumper” Lancaster will face Gary Young. We also have a double main event for you as we will see two title matches!  First, it will be The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes & Blackjack Mulligan taking on “Kruscher Kruschev & Ivan Koloff and finally, One Man Gang with Ernie Ladd gets his shot at the Mid-South title and Hacksaw Butch Reed.

Jim Ross:  That is one jam-packed night of wrestling son let’s head to the ring.

MATCH:

Iceman Parsons defeats Hercules Simms with the butt bump

Parsons, who came out to “We Are Family, had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand and it is clear that he is totally forgiven for all of his questionable tactics over the past year or so.

COMMERCIAL + PROMOS FOR MONDAY’S CARD IN SAN ANTONIO

MATCH:

Gary Young defeated Frankie “Thumper” Lancaster in impressive fashion. 

Young connected with a nasty spine breaker for the win in a match where he controlled most of the action.  While his ability was top notch, his attitude was bottom rung.  He constantly insulted his opponent while gloating throughout the match which drew the ire of the fans.

Post-Match Interview

Gary Young:  It don’t matter where I am…. Each night before I get in the ring I look out at the crowd and see nothing but ugly.  I mean one porker after another.  But Houston…. Houston, you take the cake…. And eat it to.  Wow… what a bunch of moo moo’d here.  After I look at the crowd, I look across the ring and it only gets worse.  It don’t matter if its Theresa Taylor, Fido Reed or Magnum P.U. …. They are some sorry losers who don’t stand a chance against Gary Young.  Let me tell you world… Let me tell you U.S.A…. Gary Young is here to stay and I’m kicking butt and taking names and there aint nothing you can do about it.

Jim Ross:  Well that was one arrogant man.  I think there are plenty of wrestlers around here who can’t wait to take him down a peg!

MID-SOUTH TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH:

American Dream Dusty Rhodes & Blackjack Mulligan © vs The Russian Beat Ivan Koloff & Krusher Kruschev

This was the one that nearly took the roof off the Sam Houston Coliseum as Rhodes & Mulligan vs any Russians would be as big a good vs evil match as there could be.  Give Dusty his due here as he did a great job of bumping and selling for the big Russians but eventually, we get to that wild 2 on 2 action where Mulligan is slamming heads and Dusty is juking-jiving- throwing the right hands-dropping the bionic elbows.

Jim Ross:  Look Out…. Here come Nikita.  Nikita is like a house a fire connecting with big right hand and big right hand on both Mulligan and Rhodes.  Oh… yes… here comes the NWA Champion Magnum T.A…. he is all over Nikita. 

Nikita and T.A. are throwing punches by the dozen and neither man will back down and inch.  Finally… with a thunderous ovation, T.A. takes down the Russian Nightmare and all three Russians roll out of the ring and head up the aisle to fight another day.

Post-Match Interview

Dusty Rhodes:  Ya know Bill Watts… the possibilities for a kid growing up in this country are unlimited.  They can be anything they want to be if they put their mind to it.  They could be a lawyer, a doctor, even the next American Dream, Dusty Rhodes….if you wiiiilllllll baaabay and I sure as heck won’t sit here and let no man from Russia come and take away what the U.S. of A. stands for.  Ivan Koloff…. Nikita Koloff….. traitor Darsow….. you now riled up the bear in me and that means trouble for you!

Blackjack Mulligan:  Hey Koloffs…. You two are good enough to beat a lot of men who sit there are let you squeeze them with that Bear Hug or stand there and let you hit them with that Russian Sickle.   Well, the three of us here right now, won’t be standing around.  We won’t be letting you do anything, and you will soon find out that you got no chance against us.  Koloffs…. Darsow…. Anytime any place!

Magnum T.A.:  Nikita… I am going to give the Devil his due…. You almost had me in the Sportatorium.  The key word there was almost and trust me brother, I will never again let the American fans think this World title might be going home with any Russian.  You have motivated me to be better and there is no way a better Magnum T.A. ever gives up this title.  Just like Blackjack just said…. Any time-Any Place!

MID-SOUTH TITLE MATCH:

Hacksaw Butch Reed © vs One Man Gang with Ernie Ladd

Two big men here doing their best to take the other out.  Gang uses his weight well throughout the match and does his best to lean on Reed which begins to take its toll on the champ.  Much of Reed’s power is negated and he simply can’t do many of his normal repertoire of moves against someone like Gang.  Ernie Ladd, as always, played a major role, as he was involved whenever the ref’s back was turned.

The problem was that Reed was able to catch Ladd on the apron once as the ref was admonishing Gang for a knee to the gut.  Reed threatened to clobber Ladd which the crowd as in favor off but as he went for the big right hand….

WHAM…. Giant pancake by Gang on Reed and he soars through the ropes and hits the barricade on the outside and is in trouble.

The ref begins to count.

1…2…3….4….

Reed has not budged and a camera zooms in and sees Reed is busted open and seems to be out.

5….6….7….

Ladd realizes that Reed is not getting up and goes to try and throw him into the ring.

8….9….

Ladd gets Reed to the apron.

One Man Gang, with the help of Ernie Ladd, has defeated Butch Reed by count-out.  Ladd and Gang understand that they have not won the title and are a little disappointed while many fans did not know this and exploded with joy when the ring announcer explained that Reed was still the Mid-South Champion.

With Reed still out on the floor, a frustrated Ladd looks like a lightbulb has gone on in his head, grabs the title and he and One Man Gang simply walk out.

Jim Ross:  What is going on around the NWA.  People just keep on walking out with other people’s titles.  First, Tojo’s group out there in Western States Wrestling and now Ernie Ladd and One Man Gang.

Cowboy Bill Watts:  As NWA President, I promise you we will not stand for this.  If that title is not returned by next week, One Man Gang and Ernie Ladd will be suspended from Mid-South Wrestling.

Jim Ross:  Well, there you have it.  Cowboy Bill Watts means business.  Tune in next week to see if One Man Gang and Ernie Ladd will return the Mid-South Title to Hacksaw Butch Reed or if they will be taking some unpaid leave of absence.  Also, I promised you that if we heard anything on that strange situation involving Kevin Sullivan and Leon “Baby Bull” White, we would pass along that information. Well…. So far nothing.  Not a word from anybody on the whereabouts of those two.  Hopefully we will have happy news to that very dangerous situation.  Folks, we are out of time.  So long from the Lone Star State. 

DARK MATCHES

Terry Taylor survived his match against the Executioner with the end coming with the 5 Arm

Bruiser Brody defeated Tarzan Goto in a bloody brawl as he connected with a top rope knee cap right across the temple of Goto.

NWA North American Title Match:  Terry Gordy © defeated Jake “The Snake” Roberts in a war of attrition as he eventually hit back to back powerslams for the win.

NWA World Title Match:  Magnum T.A. defeated Krusher Kruschev with the Belly to Belly.

• 5 weeks later...

iS65ozu.jpg?6

MAY 8, 1986

WILL ROGERS CENTER

FT. WORTH,  TX

It seems like I did somethng wrong and deleted my file, so here is a new one I started.  I will repost my other stuff so I have a running history of the NWA when I get the chance.

Jim Ross:  Hey everybody!  Welcome to another great episode of Mid-South Wrestling coming to you from the Will Rogers Center in Ft. Worth, Texas.  I’m Jim Ross and it’s certainly my privilege to have NWA President, Cowboy Bill Watts as my partner on today’s show.  Thank you, Bill, for being with us.  Before we get to tonight’s show, we have a lot to talk about. 

Bill Watts:  Very true Jim and a lot of it is happening out in in our newest territory, Western States Wrestling.  Let’s show everyone what we are talking about. 

We see a short video clip that shows the closing moments of the Western States tag team tournament where Tribal Nation defeated the Moondogs.  This is not necessarily the bit of information Mid-South fans found interesting.  It was that Kevin Sullivan was managing the Moondogs.  Next, we see Dory & Terry Funk defeat Kendo Nagasaki and Mr. Pogo and then walk out with the NWA titles that were stolen by Nagasaki and Pogo from Ted Dibiase and Dr. Death Steve Williams.

Jim Ross:  Not sure what to make of any of this information.  I guess we know where Kevin Sullivan went when he left here but there was no sign of Leon White who Sullivan seemed to kidnap.  Sullivan refused to discuss this with Steve Stacks.

Bill Watts:  And when did the Moondogs enter the picture.  Where they the two men in hoods that helped Sullivan take Baby Bull away?

Jim Ross:  Your guess is as good as mine and hopefully, we will get some answers to that very soon.  This is truly a very sick and sadistic individual we are dealing with and to tell you the truth, I very for the safety of Leon White.  Now, Bill, we seem to have some sort of Beltgate going on here.  First it was Zaibatsu taking the tag belts, then we saw Ernie Ladd and One Man Gang walk off with Butch Reed’s Mid-South title and now the Funks take the already stolen tag belts from Kendo Nagasaski and Mr. Pogo.

Bill Watts:  This entire situation is very upsetting to the entire NWA Board of Directors.  As far as One Man Gang is concerned, he will return the belt tonight to Hacksaw Butch Reed or be suspended.  The NWA World Tag Team titles is a little different.  We are unsure of what the intentions are of the Funk Brothers.  We believe that they just took the titles from Nagasaki and Pogo with the intentions of returning them to Dibiase and Doc but so far, our phone calls to Amarillo have not been returned.

Jim Ross:  As always Bill, things in the NWA are very interesting!

Bill Watts:  As is our show tonight.  We will see Michael Hayes in action against Mike Graham.  It will be Jake “The Snake” Roberts vs DJ Peterson.  Terry Taylor will face Larry Cheatum. Harley Race will be taking on Larry Zbyszko in a Texas Streetfight and fans, hold on to your hats.  The main event tonight will be “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes, Blackjack Mulligan and Magnum T.A. vs Ivan Koloff, Nikita Koloff and Kruscher Kruschev.

Jim Ross:  As we told ya, this is going to be a great night of wrestling here in Will Rogers Coliseum.  Let’s get to the ring.

MATCH:

Terry Taylor defeats Larry Cheatum with the 5 Arm

In a quick post-match interview, Terry Taylor is real upset at the arrogance and name calling last week by Gary Young.  Taylor talks about this guy being around for like 5 minutes and having the nerve to call out people like himself, Magnum T.A and Hacksaw Butch Reed.  He especially took objection to Young calling him Theresa last week and says that if Young has the guts to face him, he will kame sure that Young knows he has been in the ring with a real man. 

COMMERCIAL + PROMOS FOR MONDAY’S CARD IN NEW ORLEANS

MATCH:

Michael Hayes defeats Mike Graham by submission with a sleeper?

The match had started with Hayes draping a white towel over the ring post in his corner while the ref was checking Mike Graham’s boots for illegal objects.  The towel went unnoticed by all until the fans figured it out in the end.  Mike Graham pushed Hayes back into the corner and the ref stepped between them and pushed Graham back to ensure a clean break.  Hayes rapped the towel around his hand and hid that hand behind his back.

WHAM… Knee to the gut by Hayes.

Michael Hayes goes behind Graham and catches him in a choke/sleeper with the towel sneaking out of his hand and placed right across the mouth of Graham.

Graham goes out like a light and the ref gives the match to Hayes.  Hayes quickly tosses the towel away to the floor while the ref checks on Graham.  The fans are screaming about the foul play but he never catches on.

In his post-match interview, Michael Hayes is far from the somber individual we saw last week when he was upset at the break-up of the Freebirds and his disappointment in Terry Gordy for going after single’s titles instead of putting the Freebirds first.  Instead, we get the firery, Michael P.S. Hayes who is all about himself, kicking butt and taking names before partying all night down on Bad Street.  He has his eyes set on showing everyone that he was the true leader of the Freebirds and that Gordy as just an hanger-on-er.  He vows to take the North American Title from Gordy as soon as he is given a title shot.

Before the match, NWA Tag Team Champions, Ted Dibiase and Dr. Death stop by the interview area where they are happy that the Funks took their titles from Zaibatsu but they are not convinced if Dory and Terry will do the right things and return their belts.  Dibiase reminds everyone that Terry has been a snake for most of his career and that he wouldn’t trust Dory either.  Dr. Death says that he would have no problem going back out to Western States and facing the Funks and taking the titles back for themselves. 

Cowboy Bill Watts reminds Dibiase and Doc not to worry and that they are still recognized as the champs and that their titles will soon be returned.

MATCH

Jake “The Snake” Roberts defeats DJ Peterson with the DDT

It took the Snake a while tonight to figure out how to deal with the power of Peterson but once he did, he was methodical as always until the sudden strike with the DDT for the win.  Snake lets everyone know that while he lost the North American title that he will soon be back on top. 

Before the match, NWA North American Champion Terry Gordy stops by the interview desk where he is focused on his match in New Orleans against Krusher Kruschev and laughs at the thought of Michael Hayes being the next North American Champion.

MATCH:  TEXAS STREET FIGHT

Harley Race vs Larry Zbyszko

Zbyszko is as sneaky as usual but this does not stop Race from carrying much of the action.  The problem for Race was that this was a No DQ match and Tarzan Goto got involved in the action and the big 300 pounder came off the tope rope with a knee drop to the back.  The ref didn’t bat an eyelash here as it was within the rules and so was the knun-chuk shot Zbyszko hit Race with.  By the time Bruiser Brody got to the ring to aid Race, it was too late, and Larry got a big win over the his old tag team partner.  This feud is so personal that before the night was over, it was announced that next week in New Orleans, it would be Race and Brody vs Goto and Zbyszko in a Falls Count Anywhere Bout. 

After the bout, Ernie Ladd and One Man Gang come to the interview area with the stolen Mid-South Title in hand.  Watts threatens to suspend them if they don’t hand over the belt immediately. 

Ernie Ladd:  Once again we see the double standard against Ernie Ladd and anyone associated with Ernie Ladd.  First, you allow Kendo Nagasaki and Mr. Pogo to take the NWA World Tag Team Titles from Dibiase and Dr. Death and you do nothing.  Then the Funk brothers tag those same belts and you do nothing.  My man, One Man Gang, demolishes Hacksaw Butch Reed in a match.  Beats Hacksaw Butch Reed and when I leave with a title we won fair and square, you threaten suspensions and fines.  If this isn’t prove of the mistreatment I have faced all my career down here in the South then I don’t know what is. 

Bill Watts:  One Man Gang defeated Hacksaw Butch Reed by count out.  You know as well as I do, the title does not change hands on a count out and that doesn’t even begin to explain your interference in the match that caused Butch Reed to not be able to get back in the ring.

Ernie Ladd:  You better have prove before you accuse me of something that never happened.

Bill Watts:  Enough of your games.  What’s it going to be…. The belt now or you and One Man Gang will be escorted from the Will Rogers Coliseum. 

Ladd reluctantly hands over the title and to his surprise, Watts agrees that One Man Gang has given Hacksaw Butch Reed some tough matches of late and grants him another title match for next week in New Orleans.

MATCH

American Dream” Dusty Rhodes, Blackjack Mulligan & Magnum T.A.

vs “The Russian Bear” Ivan Koloff, “The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff & Kruscher Kruschev.

Unlike so many of these big matches that end in a wild brawl, this one has a clear cut winner.  After a wild match that saw everyone get some shine, we see Magnum T.A. working over Kruschev.  Somehow, Kruscher catches T.A. with a big bodyslam and then makes the tag to Nikita.

WHAM…. Nikita runs at T.A. as he is just getting to his feet and connects with a nasty Russian Sickle. 

Rhodes and Mulligan hit the ring to break up the cover but they are meet with just enough resistance from Ivan and Kruschev that they can’t make the save.

1….2….3!

Jim Ross:  Folks… the only thing I can say is that goodness that was not a World Title Match.  Nikita Koloff has just cleanly pinned the NWA World Champion.  I hope this is not a sign of things to come.  We are out of time for now.  So long from the Pelican State.

DARK MATCHES:

Ron Bass & Black Bart defeated Hercules Simmes and The Executioner with the Texas Trash Compacter by Black Bart on Simmes.

Brusier Brody defeated Iron Mike Sharpe with a Mauling Knee Lift.

iS65ozu.jpg?7

MAY 22, 1986

LAKEFRONT ARENA

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

Jim Ross:  Hey everybody!  Welcome to another great episode of Mid-South Wrestling coming to you from Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana.  I’m Jim Ross and it’s certainly my privilege to have NWA President, Cowboy Bill Watts as my partner on today’s show.  Thank you, Bill, for being with us. 

Bill Watts:  Glad to be here Jim.  We have a great show for everyone tonight but first, I would like to bring out the NWA Tag Team Champions, Ted Dibiase and Dr Death Steve Williams.

As the champs come out….

Bill Watts:  Champs, not sure what to tell you but another week has past and still the NWA World Titles have not been returned.

Ted Dibiase:  Bill, I trust you are doing everything in your power to get those belts back, but I think the Funks are playing some games out there in Western States Wrestling.

Dr. Death:  I totally agree but I also know that the only way the Funks can keep those titles is to run and hide. Problem is Dory…. Terry….. we are not the type of people who will wait and see what happens next.  Ted and I will be in Western States Wrestling real soon and we will get our belts back by any means necessary!

Jim Ross:  Folks there you have it.  People out there in West Texas, I have a feeling you are going to see some angry NWA World Tag Team Champions real soon. 

Bill Watts:  Dory and Terry, you better have eyes in the back of your heads.  As for tonight’s show we got Gary Young taking on Verlon Biggs.  Iceman Parsons will take on the Executioner.  Ron Bass and Black Bart will face Jonathan Boyd & Hercules Simms and then we have two big title matches as Terry Gordy puts the North American Title on the line against Kruscher Kruschev and in a Mid-South Title Match, it will be Hacksaw Butch Reed putting his title on the line against the monster, One Man Gang.

Jim Ross:  And you know whenever One Man Gang is involved, Ernie Ladd will be a factor!  Let’s get to the ring.

MATCH:

Gary Young defeats Verlon Biggs with a spinebuster

Jim Ross:  I must say Gary, you have been quite impressive since arriving on the scene, but you also have rustled some feather including those of Terry Taylor who has challenged you to a match Monday night in the Sportatorium.

Gary Young:  It is hard to be as perfect as Gorgeous Gary is and not to rustle some feathers along the way.  If Theresa Taylor dares to step into the ring with me, it is her funeral.  It will be fun to return to me old stomping grounds up there in Dallas and make some new history.  I mean I’m already famous there for beating every single one of those stupid Von Erich boys and now I will set the record for the fastest match in NWA history as it will take me about 5 seconds to pin Theresa.  I must say the talent here in the NWA isn’t all that you guys make it out to be!

As Gary Young walks away, Cowboy Bill Watts wonders if Gary Young’s head will even fit through the doors of the Sportatorium and let’s everyone know that sometimes when you talk so much nonsense, it just makes your opponent more focused and that might be the case in Dallas.

COMMERCIAL + PROMOS FOR MONDAY’S CARD DALLAS

MATCH:

Iceman Parsons defeats The Executioner with the Butt Bump

The fans are dancing in their seats at the Lakefront Arena as We Are Family blares form the speakers.  Iceman gives another charismatic interview, but it is interrupted by Jake “The Snake” Roberts who says Iceman should shut up and stop wasting everyone’s time.  Iceman gets in his face but with the begging from Jim Ross, cooler heads prevail.

Or so it seemed.  When Iceman waked off to high five with some fans, he was attacked from behind with a sudden blow from the Snake.  This first blow was followed up with a devastating DDT on the concrete.

Terry Taylor, Ted Dibiase and Dr. Death rush out, but the Snake had already slithered away.  Parsons seems to be convulsing on the arena floor as medical attention is being given.

As we come back from break, we see a video of the disgusting attack by Jake Roberts as both Jim Ross and Bill Watts express concern for Iceman but neither seem confident that he will be back anytime soon. 

MATCH:

Ron Bass & Black Bart defeat Jonathan Boyd & Hercules Simms in a physical battle that saw Bass hit the Texas Gourdbuster for the win.

The NWA Mid-South Tag Team Champions, Dusty Rhodes and Blackjack Mulligan, along with NWA World Champion, Magnum T.A. joined Jim Ross during this match with most of the discussion centering of the Russian problem here in the NWA.  All three where real confident that they would not allow any of their titles to be taken back to Moscow even though Jim Ross did remind everyone that last week they had lost a 6 Man Match to Ivan, Nikita, and Kruscher when Nikita hit the Russian Sickle on T.A.

At the end of the match, Black Bart and Ron Bass joined their friends at the podium.  When the got there, the Dream had the mic…

Dusty Rhodes:  Let me tell ya brother…. Blackjack and The Dream are the two baddest cowboys ever to step foot in that ring and we aint never going to let them Russians get the best of us and you can take that to the bank jack!

It seemed like the camera caught Bass and Bart with a quizzical look on their face when Dusty claimed him and Mulligan were the two baddest cowboys, but they seemed to let it go as the talk went back on the Russians.

Before our next bout, Ivan, Nikita and Kruscher Kruschev are at the podium to refute the interview by Dusty, Mulligan and T.A.

Ivan Koloff:  Magnum T.A…. I understand you want to look tough in front of da fans… you want to act like you are not afraid, but we all saw it last week.  Nikita left you in da center of da ring.  The ref count 1…2….3. and you still flat on your back.  Nikita will soon be NWA World Champion.  Dusty Rhodes… Da American Dream….you say you the baddest cowboy.  I think you just bad.  You inferior athlete to Russian athlete.  Just look at you and then look at us. The Russian domination will begin in just a few minutes.  Kruscher Kruschev will defeat Terry Gordy and take the North American title.  Then we will defeat Ted Dibiase and Steve Williams for the Tag belts followed by da big one… The NWA World Title.  Russian soon will own the NWA!

MATCH:  NWA NORTH AMERICAN TITLE

Terry Gordy © vs Kruscher Kruchev

It seems like Ivan’s plan of total domination by the Russians will have to be put on hold and it was his own fault.  Ivan tried to pass a small chain to Kruscher but the ref caught it to prevent the use of the weapon.  Kruscher lost focus for a second…

WHAM… powerslam by Gordy and he gets the 3 count.  Ivan is fuming and in a full argument with the ref.

WHAM… the ref had dropped the small chain and even though the fans tried to warn Gordy who was making sure not to be attacked by either Ivan or Nikita, he never saw Michael Hayes hit the ring, pick and the chain and clobber Terry right in the head.

The Russians head off as Michael Hayes goes for another chain shot but somehow it is blocked by Gordy.  The crowd goes nuts as Michael Hayes’s eyes nearly pop out of his head.  Gordy reaches for Hayes’ but he escapes through the ropes.  Gordy is in pursuit but the two escape behind the curtain and we have no idea if Gordy ever caught Hayes.

MATCH:  NWA MID-SOUTH TITLE

Hacksaw Butch Reed vs One Man Gang

Hacksaw started with the momentum but when he went for a body slam on the big man, Ernie Ladd was able to grab Reed’s leg causing Gang to fall on top of the champ.  Somehow, Reed got a foot on the rope to avoid the 3 count, but Gang took the momentum and came so close to getting a pinfall after each power move.  The crowd gets behind the champ and little by little, Reed is getting closer to wrestling from the top.

Eventually we get to the two big men trading blows in the center of the ring.  The crowd is going nuts.  Ladd is on the apron…

WHAM… Reed whips Gang to the ropes and he nailed Ladd.  Ladd goes flying.

WHAM… Football tackle by Reed on Gang who was looking out at his manager.

1…2…3!

iS65ozu.jpg?7

MAY 29, 1986

THE SPORTATORIUM

DALLAS, TEXAS

Jim Ross:  Hey everybody!  Welcome to another great episode of Mid-South Wrestling coming to you from the world’s most famous arena, The Sportatorium, from right here in downtown Dallas, Texas.  I’m Jim Ross and it’s certainly my privilege to have NWA President, Cowboy Bill Watts as my partner on today’s show.  Thank you, Bill, for being with us. 

Bill Watts:  Glad to be here Jim.  We have a great show for everyone tonight as Jake “The Snake” Roberts takes on Ricky Gibson.   Ron Bass and Black Bart will be taking on Iron Mike Sharpe and The Executioner.  We will also have Terry Taylor matching up against the man who has been calling him Theresa for the last few weeks, Gary Young.  We also have a huge handicap match for you as Harley Race and Bruiser Brody have challenged Tarzan Goto and Larry Zbyszko to a match where they can pick a wrestler of their choosing to for a 3-2 match.  Folks, that’s not all.  Listen to this main event.  It will be the Russian Nightmare Nikita Koloff vs Blackjack Mulligan.

Jim Ross:  Bill, that is why the NWA is considered the grand daddy of them all in the world of professional wrestling.  We give the fans in the arena and on tv the best matches in the sport week in and week out.  Before we get to the ring for our first match, I want to bring everyone back to the end of last week’s show.

We see a video of Terry Gordy defeating Krusher Kruschev with a powerslam only to be attacked by Michael Hayes.  Hayes tried to clock Gordy with a small chain but Bam Bam blocked it.  Hayes took off running for his life with Gordy in hot pursuit. 

Jim Ross:  To tell you the truth, we had no idea what happened after that but thanks to the hard work of one of our camera men, we do have footage of the confrontation between the two former teammates.  Fans, I would like to warn you that what you are about to see is rather violent and you may want to take your children to another room for a minute or two.

Again, we go to the video tape where we see that Terry Gordy had caught up to Michael Hayes in the parking lot and the two are really getting after each other.  Bodyslams on the hoods of cards. Irish whips into the doors.  Heads being slammed into the trunk.  Give Michael Hayes his due as he doesn’t back down and is giving it as good as he is getting.  The video ends with both men bloodied and being separated by about a dozen men.

Jim Ross:  Bill, I’m unsure what to say.  That is one of the most violent encounters I have seen in all my years in the sport of professional wrestling.  That is way to personal if you ask me. 

Bill Watts:  I agree with you and it is obvious that these two men will need to settle this inside the squared circle.  We will be hearing from the Mid-South Champion, Terry Gordy, a little later in the show and we will get his take on this serious situation.  Let’s get to the ring.

MATCH:

Jake “The Snake” Roberts defeats Ricky Gibson with the DDT

In the post-match interview, Jim Ross asks The Snake about last week’s confrontation with Iceman Parsons where he used the DDT on Iceman on the concrete floor.

Jake Roberts:  Last week I told Parsons that he should shut his mouth and stop wasting everyone’s time.  He refused so I shut if for him.  Some people stay clear of Snakes while others go searching for them.  Be careful when you find them Iceman.  Some are poisonous. 

Jim Ross:  You know Iceman spent most of this week in the hospital as a result of your attack?

Jake Roberts:  I guess this snake is one of the poisonous ones.  Tell Parsons stay away.  The next snake bite might be deadly. 

COMMERCIAL BREAK + PROMOS FOR MONDAY’S CARD IN SAN ANTONIO

Before we get back to the action, we see an emotional interview with Terry Gordy.

Terry Gordy:  Michael Hayes… you talk about family.  You talk about a brotherhood.  Why don’t you just say the truth.  You sat there while Buddy Jack and myself did all the work.  Once a week or so you would step into the ring on night where we might not have had the toughest opponents and then you would come on TV and talk about how after you were crackin heads and partying down on Bad Street, you made the Freebirds the greatest tag team in wrestling.  Listen up BRO-THER… you did nothing but ride my coattails and anytime you feel like you can hang with me in the ring, just sign your name on the dotted line and I’ll be there. 

MATCH

Terry Taylor vs “Gorgeous” Gary Young

Young was already in the ring when Taylor entered to a thunderous ovation.

WHAM… Pearl Harbor attack by Gary Young.  He tosses Taylor out of the ring.

WHAM… Young slams Taylor into the steel girder.

WHAM… Young with a chair shot on Taylor.

DJ Peterson and George Wells rush down and help protect Taylor from any further attacks.  The ring announcer says since the bell never sounded to start the match, this bout has been declared a No Contest!

Gary Young rushes over and grabs the mic from Jim Ross:

Gary Young:  It’s not often that the Gorgeous One is wrong but last week I misspoke.  I said it would take me about 5 seconds to beat Theresa Taylor.  Well, it took 0 seconds before I beat her so badly, the ref called for the bell.  A note to the NWA, stop wasting my time!  Give me some competition.

When we come out of break, we get a quick but fiery interview from Terry Taylor where he demands a rematch next week in San Antonio against Gary Young and Bill Watt’s quickly grants it. 

HANDICAP MATCH

Harley Race & Bruiser Brody vs Larry Zbyszko, Taran Goto and “Mr. Orient” Ron Slinker

Zbyszko introduced Slinker as the mystery partner in a pre-match interview where he praised Slinker for being like himself, a master of the martial arts.  Slinker and Zbyszko do a rather impressive knun-chuck demonstration at the podium while Goto just sat there;stone face ready to attack anything that moved.  Watts said that he had spoken to Race and Brody in the back earlier and asked them why they agree to a handicap match against the formidable duo of Zbyszko and Goto and Harley Race explained that Zbyszko is such a weasel it is better to have him put his cards on the table before the match then to wait for him to cheat during it.

As for the match, Zbyszko and Slinker made Goto do most of the in-ring action but he was soon worn down by Race and Brody.  Slinker was next up and he was not very impressive without his knun chucks and Brody and Race were taking him to the woodshed.  Slinker went for a tag but Zbyszko jumped down to the floor so not to be tagged in.

WHAM… Mauling knee smash be Brody… tag to Race.

WHAM… Diving headbutt by Race and that is all she wrote for Slinker.  Zbyszko threw his hands at Slinker and motioned to Goto to leave Slinker there.

Zbyszko stopped by the interview desk where he was very disappointed in Slinker for false advertising about being a martial arts expert and that he was done with the inept “Mr. Orient.”

Before our next bout, Cowboy Bill Watts lets us know that the Funk brothers out there in Western States Wrestling have yet to return the NWA World Tag Team Titles to Ted Dibiase and Steve Williams so the champs have headed out there to “get them back by any means necessary.” 

“Outlaw” Ron Bass & Black Bart defeat Iron Mike Sharpe & The Executioner after Bart hit the Texas Trash Compacter (Tope Rope Double Leg Drop) on Iron Mike

In their post-match interview, Bart and Bass were praised for their success and the fan favorites said they are one of the best tag teams in the industry and would love to have a chance at wearing some championship gold again.

The Mid-South Tag Champs, Dusty Rhodes and Blackjack Mulligan were heading to the ring for Mulligan’s singles match against Nikita Koloff and stopped by to congratulate Bass and Bart as well as insult the Russians.  Ron Bass took control of the interview as he reminded Dusty Rhodes of his words from last week when he said that he and Mulligan were the baddest cowboys in all of wrestling and that they would never allow any NWA Gold Belts to head back to Moscow!

When Dusty Rhodes heard this, he was thinking that Bass was liking this comment as any American would as it was against the Koloffs.  Rhodes was a little taken back when Bass said that he didn’t want the belts going back to Russia either but that he and Black Bart had an issue with Rhodes saying they were the baddest Cowboys in Wrestling because everyone knows that he and Bart are pretty “bad” themselves.  Rhodes tried to clear the air but there still seemed to be some tension between the champs and Ron Bass and Black Bart.

MATCH

“The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff vs Blackjack Mulligan

Mulligan is the one man with the size to deal with Mulligan, but he became distracted by Kruscher Kruschev who rushed out and joined Ivan Koloff to attack Dusty Rhodes who had accompanied Mulligan to the ring.  Mulligan goes out after Ivan.  Ivan retreats around the ring.

Wham…. Russian Sickle by Nikita on Mulligan…. Mulligan is down.

The Russians are attacking 3-2 and they are all over the Mid-South Tag Team Champs as the ref calls for the bell as Nikita is disqualified!

Jim Ross:  Here comes the cavalry…. We hope!   It’s Ron Bass and Black Bart.

WHAM… Bart and Bass attack…… the …… Russians!

Eventually with it 4-3, the Cowboys (Bass, Bart, Rhodes and Mulligan) take control of the brawl and the show ends with the fan favorites in control of the ring!

Jim Ross:  What a night of action we just saw!  Be sure to be with us next week in San Antonio for another night of great wrestling.  So long from the Lone Star State!

DARK MATCHES

One Man Gang crushed Frankie Lancaster with a 747 Splash

George Wells defeated Lord Jonathan Boyd by DQ when Boyd hit Wells with the New Zealand flag.

Im fairly new to the board and having starting to read through the Dawn of War work just wanted to say how much im loving Mid-South Wrestling. its the first ive read and im loving the flow of each show and how everything is set up an laid out. All the angles and feuds seem natural an have a rightful place on the show. keep up the good work cant wait to read more.