Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Don Kernodle

NintendoLogic

He was 71. He was probably best known for the Final Conflict cage match with Sgt. Slaughter against Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood, which led to the creation of Starrcade. He had been suffering from a number of health issues in recent years, but the F4W site is reporting that his death was self-inflicted.

When I was young, all we had in Québec was wwf wrestling ( until WCW got on tv for a while in 1990) so I was only familiar with the wwf style. I rented a video tape called All star wrestling, it had an Ivan Kolof/Kernodle vs Youngblood/Renagade match. It blew my Ming and opened my eyes that there was better wrestling out there. 

Great tribute by Les Thatcher:

It was so sad to hear of the passing of a long time friend Don Kernodle last night. I may have been the 1st person Don ever dealt with in pro wrestling as I was the guy handling the paper work for Bob Roop taking on challengers at the Raleigh, NC TV station so many years ago.

Don was a young grappler out of Elon College who wanted to take Bob on, and after asking several times if he really wanted to do this. He signed, met Roop, got hooked, later trained with Gene & Ole Anderson and had a very good career.

That night in Raleigh became a running joke between Don & I over the years. When he would spot me at a fanfest or reunion he would start pointing his finger and saying “It’s all his fault! Les Thatcher is the one that got me in all this craziness! All you had to do was tell me NO that night in Raleigh!”

Don was always full of life with a big smile for everyone. The wrestling business and I are better for our knowing “Noodle”, and being graced with his friendship. Go with God my dear friend and know that you will be remembered with Love & respect!

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1235695-les-thatcher-don-kernodle

One of my first wrestling memories was Don as the "Pride of the Carolinas" teaming with the Russians,  and the wild matches they would have. I loved how instead of the usual turncoat gimmick it was done more as a mutual admiration, Ivan would be all "here's an American we can respect' and Don would be all "the Russians are great and I respect them for liking me".