Pro Wrestling Only

Herodes

Grimmas

KB8 said: "I mentioned this in the #100 thread, but Herodes right now might be mine. In some ways he's a bit of a Mexican Arn Anderson who will go from total stooge to a burly bastard that'll just stomp your head in. At times - at least in the early 90s - he almost comes off as a comedy act as he leans so far into being a complete buffoon, but he always flips it and reminds you that once upon a time this guy might've been the sort of enforcer you would not fuck with. And on that note, Herodes could brawl like a motherfucker and the Salazar match is a bloodthirsty vampire's dream.  "

Match Recs

Tony Salazar v Herodes (EMLL, 3/2/84)

Herodes, El Faraon & Mocho Cota v Lizmark, Ringo Mendoza & Tony Salazar (2/24/84)

Herodes, Emilio Charles Jr & Espectro Jr v Ringo Mendoza, Kung Fu & Popitekus (CMLL, 2/4/90)

• 1 year later...

Herodes has a reputation among some oldtime fans as a fantastic worker. I've never really seen that sort of ability from him. He was a fun big man bumper, but you could say the same thing about Sultan Gargola, and I'm not sure that Sultan Gargola has ever been mentioned in the lifetime of this site. (Okay, I looked it up, and he has. I can see two references to him, in 2008 and 2021.) Even against Tony Salazar, Salazar's blood and selling made the match more than anything that Herodes did. Maybe I'm down on him because I'm a '90s guy and instinctively think of him from when he was past his prime, maybe we don't have enough from his heyday, or maybe his greatness is wasted on me. I'm glad he was nominated. He had an interesting career, bringing Northern guys to the capital and taking shots in Europe.