Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-03-02-MACW TV] Dory Funk Jr vs Steve Casey

Superstar Sleeze

Dory Funk Jr. vs Steve Casey - MACW 3/2/85

Excellent scientific ten-minute draw here. Steve Casey was a lower midcard British talent in JCP, never heard of him before I watched March 1985 Crockett so maybe some WoS fans can shed some light. He won a squash, won a tag match with Kernodle and then had a great match with Tully Blanchard on 3/30 (***1/4 just under the threshold for me to do a full review, but his arm selling and comeback really made the match. I thought he made Tully look better by his own performance). This was just sublime. If you like pro wrestling as more of a sporting contest, this is the match for you. Just the way they moved around the ring, they reacted to each other just made this feel so organic and competitive. I dont really see that big of a difference between Bret Hart and Dory Funk Jr and I mean that as a compliment to Dory Funk Jr. Dory is a very interesting and dynamic pro wrestler. Loved the early Casey springboard top rope reverse crossbody for two and Dory's powder. Crowd went wild and Johnny Weaver put him and the move over huge. Lots of great European Uppercuts and they work holds so well. Loved the drop toehold from Casey. Nice leg pick out of the air by Junior on a leapfrog. I bit on the Spinning Toehold finish but the Casey kangaroo kicked him off to a sizeable pop. Casey Airplane Spin/Samoan Drop popped me and the crowd but only got two. Junior tried for the Butterfly Suplex, INSIDE CRADLE! 1-2-NO! Bell rings as time expires. Fun random scientific match. Junior was ostensibly the heel because that had been his role, but this was just a good ol fashioned babyface vs babyface draw. Love this stuff! ***1/2 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1985-03-02-MACW TV] Dory Funk Jr vs Steve Casey