Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer on...

blackholesun

It started with the September 14, 2009 issue after the show was taped when he wrote the following about Davey Richards vs. Shingo Takagi: "These two were put in position to steal the show and from all accounts did. Several compared it with Undertaker vs. Michaels at WrestleMania. It’s hard to compare, as this was more innovative, but WWE style isn’t about being innovative. Tons of near falls. Correspondent Keith Lipinski called it the best match he’s seen live in three or four years and others talked of it as a probable top three placer for match of the year. Lots of match of the year talk and everyone said it was at least a must-see candidate. Richards ended up winning via submission with a Kimura. Reports were ****3/4"

Here's what he wrote after the November 9, 2009 issue after the show aired on PPV: "While most liked Richards vs. Shingo, a longer match with more flashy moves, I preferred Danielson vs. Doi, which from a pure wrestling standpoint was as good as any match I’ve seen in the U.S. this year. Obviously the two guys don’t have the presence of Undertaker and Shawn Michaels, nor the setting, but when it came to just a smooth flow of moves as opposed to just kicking out of trademark spots, this match was superior."

• 3 months later...

I listened and still listen to every WOR and Dave tends to get excited about something or someone in the moment. 

He often says "(insert name) is one of the top 2 or 3 greatest wrestlers in the world." 

I like his stuff on the details or historical knowledge on business side. You gotta take his opinions with grain of salt. 

Although his MMA opinions boggle my mind.

• 1 year later...
On 11/13/2021 at 1:26 AM, Outsider said:

I listened and still listen to every WOR and Dave tends to get excited about something or someone in the moment. 

He often says "(insert name) is one of the top 2 or 3 greatest wrestlers in the world." 

I like his stuff on the details or historical knowledge on business side. You gotta take his opinions with grain of salt. 

Although his MMA opinions boggle my mind.

This is an excellent point.