Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-05-25-Mid-South TV] Ric Flair vs Wendell Cooley

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Wendell Cooley - Mid-South TV 5/25/85

This is an excellent Ric Flair heel TV match. I am not sure if this is Flair's TV debut in Mid-South as Mid-South was an independent promotion so I dont think Flair came in much before 1985, but perhaps I am wrong. Flair had been mentioned on TV in March when Kerry Von Erich was wrestling TV and Watts was promoting Kerry vs Flair in his territory. Next up was Terry Taylor who was pushed from TV Champion to North American Champion so that Ted DiBiase could lose the Loser Leaves Town to Duggan and go work Japan without the belt. This also allowed Taylor to be positioned to have a crack at Flair which he did in late April/early May, but now is the big push because Flair will be defending the World Title against Taylor at the Superdome. The previous week on Mid-South TV Taylor demonstrated how he would avoid the Figure-4 and how he could apply to tap someone out. Now the Nature Boy, The World Champion is here.

Loved this match. Look it is no secret I am a Flair mark. He's so good at blending the sporting and larger than life aspects of pro wrestling. The short knees, the crowding in the corner, and just the general positioning. I had heard the name Wendell Cooley but had never seen him wrestle. I liked his look. He looked like a smaller Marc Mero. There is not much to say other than I really enjoyed this match. Flair dominated the match and let Cooley get some hope spots maybe 25% of the match but this was Flair looking like The Man. I liked the brawl on the outside which you didnt see at all on Mid-South. Jim Ross putting over his mean streak as he dropped Cooley face first on the railing. A really good fire fight broke out in the corner. Butterfly suplex looked great and the Figure-4 finished it. 

Terry Taylor won a squash over Eddie Gilbert I was shocked how lopsided it was. GIlbert was smoked. Flair attacked after the match and put Taylor in the Figure-4. Only for Taylor to reverse the pressure and have Flair hollering "Uncle". A damn good piece of business to set up the Superdome match. Fucking Snowman, who sucks out loud comes out to save because Eddie Gilbert started attacking again, but even he cant ruin this angle. Flair had a great promo to close out the show and it was awesome seeing him on Mid-South! ***1/2

P.S. Here's why I think Snowman sucks...Snowman defeats Jake The Snake in a pretty monumental upset. Snowman is a fucking stiff if I have ever seen one. Not like he hits stiff, he like is an uncoordinated, unathletic stiff. He looked greener than goose shit and has zero natural athleticism. Jake was just trying to feed for him. Jake was trying to protect himself by getting some offense in but Snowman couldnt even sell OR no-sell probably. It would be one thing if Snowman had Luger or Hogan like No Selling charisma. It is like he did not know how to react. Imagine Goldberg with NONE of the explosivity, power, athleticism or charisma and thats the Snowman. He finishes with the JYD thump. I have not seen Master G yet, but this has to be the worst JYD replacement ever. Then he cuts a promo after and he does not even have a good promo like he is not charismatic like the Dog at all.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1985-05-25-Mid-South TV] Ric Flair vs Wendell Cooley