Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-02-05-NJPW] Antonio Inoki vs King Kong Bundy

Superstar Sleeze

Antonio Inoki vs King Kong Bundy - NJPW 2/5/85 

It was unclear to me if Inoki won $15,000 if he won the match or if he bodyslammed Bundy because I dont speak Japanese. I wanted to see what New Japan World had for 1980s matches and this one stuck out to me as an interesting match. Bundy had his cape that makes him look like the World's Largest Dracula. I think have seen him wear this in Memphis, but I dont think he wore it in the WWF. I thought this was a pretty fun old school, Clash of Titans match. Bundy slams Inoki right at the bell. Great back arch, but even better Inoki comes up with his fist ball. THATS AN ACE BABYFACE REACTION! Neither man gives an inch. There is no bumping. Inoki is no-selling. Bundy is rockin' and reelin'. Inoki goes for a couple slams throughout the match but is always thwarted. The match does drag in the middle with a Bundy armbar then chinlock. It was the only way to get someone to the mat was force him with his weight because no one was bumping for shit, which I dig in this context. Bundy goes for a slam but INOKI HEADSCISSORS! I popped for that. Inoki scoops Bundy and falls backwards throwing him over the ropes so that was a cool spot to show Inoki could kinda do it. Then in my preferred way to work these matches, only Bundy can really hurt Bundy. Bundy fells Inoki finally and goes for the big splash BUT MISSES! Inoki races to the top rope with a Bombs Away Kneedrop for two. Thats when I realized it was NOT a bodyslam match and that it was a normal match. There were so many bodyslam attempts, I thought it might be. On the outside, Bundy charges and clotheslines the post and Inoki wins by countout. Nothing that will change your life and it did drag in the middle, but this was a fun National Hero vs Gargantuan Monster match. ***

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1985-02-05-NJPW] Antonio Inoki vs King Kong Bundy