Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-07-12-NJPW] Salman Hashimikov vs Riki Choshu

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Salman Hashimikov vs Riki Choshu - NJPW 7/12/89

Excellent Riki Choshu style match and performance. Choshu is so economical and he makes every highspot count and feel huge. Even though Hashimikov wrestles exactly the same as the Vader match, this match is a lot better. Hashimikov still has zero charisma but thats ok because we have RIKI CHOSHU! Very symmetrical match. Each man gets two throws at the beginning. Choshu gets two back drops out of a test of strength. Hashimikov gets two reverse bodyslams, the announcers get into an argument whether it was a brainbuster or a fisherman, which popped me. Hashimikov gets a nice single leg pick up transitions into an Indian/Scorpion Deathlock hybrid. Choshu follows suit with a Scorpion Deathlock as I said very symmetric. Hashimikov hits the move that won him the match against Vader. It hoists him over the shoulder and then slams him backwards. Would be a cool move to do in the pool or lake. Choshu powders. Hashimikov does it on the outside and falls back. Gnarly. Hashimikov looked in control and as he is charging, Choshu kicks him suspiciously low, hard to say if it was in the balls or inner thigh, which is perfect for wrestling. Choshu was still aligned with Masa Saito who is looking like a beefcake stud on the outside. I think Choshu is still a heel so it fits well. AXE BOMBAH~! MACK TRUCK LARIAT! CHOSHU WINS THE IWGP TITLE! Hashimikov was not doing it for me. I love Soviet Shooters, but he was not for me. Happy to have the belt back on Choshu. Fun hoss fight. ***1/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1989-07-12-NJPW] Salman Hashimikov vs Riki Choshu