Pro Wrestling Only

Revisiting Capital Combat 1990

Flyin' Brian

1st match - 6 man tag - Road Warriors and Norman the Lunatic vs Cactus Jack, Bam Bam Bigelow, and Kevin Sullivan. 

Ok opener. Cactus and Sullivan handle the selling and bumping early for their team. Eventually Norman the Lunatic is the face in peril. He makes the hot tag to Animal and eventually all 6 men are brawling in the ring. Hawk hits the top rope clothesline on Sullivan for the win. 2*

2nd match - Johnny Ace vs Mean Mark - Johnny Ace post Dynamic Dudes coming out with The Beach Boys knock off music. They go toe to toe early which is surprising. Also surprisingly to see Johnny Ace do a running dive on Mean Mark over the top rope to the outside. Ace actually controlling most of the match early until Ace is sent outside and Manager Teddy Long and Mean Mark both do some damage. Ace gets an extended beatdown until finally making a babyface comeback. Ace misses a move off the top and the future Undertaker finishes him off with a heart punch and an elbow drop after walking the ropes. Better match than I expected. 2*

Interview with the Rock N Roll express facing the Freebirds in a Corporal Punishment Strap Match later tonight. Robert Gibson doing sign language which is something I never realized or didn’t remember. Apparently his parents were deaf. That’s nice and something that would be neat to see a wrestler do today. Of course with closed captioning I guess it’s not really needed. 

• 3 weeks later...

This was the only WCW event that I owned on VHS as a kid and I first watched this show not too long after WCW folded. After already being annoyed with WCW after that horrible invasion storyline killed my interest in WWF, this show further gave me a negative bias against WCW that I wouldn't shake until years later. The VHS we had was missing the first three matches (seeing Mick Foley, Undertaker Bam Bam Bigelow, and the Road Warriors might have made young cactus enjoy this show a little bit more) and I remember enjoying the cage match until that horrible DQ finish killed my enjoyment. 

WCW had done a really poor job of building singles stars during 1989 and it really showed on this event and Wrestle War preceding it. where over 2 PPVs, other than the Luger vs Flair main events, you had a grand total of 3 singles matches:

Norman the Lunatic vs Cactus Jack

Mark Callous vs Johnny Ace

Teddy Long vs Paul Ellering