Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-03-25-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine

Superstar Sleeze

Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine - WWF 3/25/1984

This is the table-setting for the criminally underrated classic between these two in April. If you not have seen the April 1984 MSG match between Backlund and Valentine do yourself a favor and get on it. Double body part psychology dripping with struggle it is just perfect pro wrestling. This is a shortie but a goodie. Backlund is making his triumphant return to MSG after losing the title to Iron Sheik last year. I cant remember if he already switched over in 1983, but he has the buzz cut and singlet here. Gorrilla and Pat do a great job talking about his neck and shoulder injury. Backlund vs Valentine is one of the all-time great feuds and this is a worthy addition to the catalog even if it is short. Valentine pops him really good a couple times in the corner. They do the excellent Backlund Short Arm Scissors Lift that looks so impressive with the stocky Valentine. I loved the single leg pick up right after that. The bridge in the Short Arm Scissors before the lift popped me. Reminded me of when Backlund worked in UWF REBORN just countered everything by bridging it was so sick. Valentine worked the leg a little bit, but ended up missing the Hammer Elbow. Backlund went for his Chickenwing Crossface and they spilled to the floor. Good stiff brawling on the outside that leads to the Double Countout. They do a nice Stand & Bang in the ring after the bell and Valentine fled. It is not going to change your life, but it is a fun way to spend ten minutes. If you have not seen the rematch from the following month do so! ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1984-03-25-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine