Pro Wrestling Only

KinchStalker's Puroresu History Thread Leftover Posts - Prt 2

DGinnetty

Can't thank you enough for this amazing stuff!

One minor correction concerning Dyanamite Kid's tour in 1979:

"Hara’s next pair of defenses would take place two months later, on 1979.07.20 and 1979.07.21, and the latter was a double title match for a belt he’d already held. In his first major Japanese appearance (a draw against Isamu Teranishi on 1979.07.19 was also broadcast in clipped form, though the first Hara match wasn’t)"

I have a thick magazine covering the IWE, and it happens to have TV "relays", or match listings for all the TV shows.

This magazine claims these were the listings covering that July tour:

7/23  (taped 7/17)
Chain Death Match: Ashura Hara def Ox Baker
Rusher Kimura/Mighty Inoue (DCOR) Andre the Giant/Alexis Smirnoff

7/30  (taped 7/16)
Alexis Smirnoff (8:33 pin) Animal Hamaguchi
*Rusher Kimura/Ashura Hara (10:47 DQ) *Ox Baker/Haystack Calhoun
Andre the Giant (5:04 canadian back breaker) Mighty Inoue

8/6  (taped 7/20)
WWU World Junior Heavyweight Title: Ashura Hara* (18:37 DCOR) Dynamite Kid
IWA World Heavyweight Title: Rusher Kimura* (10:25 DCOR) Andre the Giant

8/13  no show

8/20  (taped 7/21)
Animal Hamaguchi/*Mighty Inoue (6:18 pin) Andre the Giant/*Haystack Calhoun
IWA World Heavyweight Title*: Alexis Smirnoff (2-1) Rusher Kimura
   1: Kimura (8:48 pin)
   2: Smirnoff (2:50 pin)
   3: Smirnoff (3:16 pin)

8/27  (taped 7/21)
12-man Battle Royal Final: Andre the Giant (5:55 COR) Animal Hamaguchi
* Other participants: Rusher Kimura, Great Kusatsu, Mighty Inoue, Goro Tsurumi, Snake Amami, Moretti
Alexi Smirnoff, Ox Baker, Texas Outlaw, Haystack Calhoun, Ed 
WWU World Junior Heavyweight/British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Double Title: 
Ashura Hara [WWU] (4min 7R time limit draw) Dynamite Kid [BC]

9/3  (taped 7/19)
The Mongolian: *#1/#2 (16:35 pin) *YANG Sun-hi/KIM Kwang-sik

Isamu Teranishi (30min limit draw) Dynamite Kid

I have searched everywhere for that 8/6 episode, but have only located the Andre match from that show.

Carry on!

Can't wait to see what you post next.

Dan Ginnetty

• 2 weeks later...

This feels like a great thread to ask a question I've long wondered. We've never really heard the back story behind the Maeda shoot kick on Choshu to my knowledge. Why did he do it? What is the other side of the story? I do remember Dave reporting there was buzz in the arena that it was going to happen even before it did, which suggests it was planned. I would be interested in someone laying out the entire story there.

• 3 weeks later...

Read some of this on a lunch break and it was an incredible way to pass the time. Will go through it all through probably several lunch breaks. Really fascinating stuff especially considering despite any footage I might have watched, I never really read up on IWE/JWA history, or really anything All Japan until the pillars got there.

• 1 month later...

This came in several weeks sooner than I was expecting.

215314211_986415442124428_4503469761778305464_n.thumb.jpg.923261ebe5e1a6568390284d1b5fac56.jpg

I don't plan to abort the IWE history, but I might put it on an alternating release schedule with stuff from this book. It's going to be a longer transcription process because this has a good 250 pages on the Jumbo bio, but the structure looks more forgiving than that backloaded book was.

Do you use the word "legend" in America? Cos around here, you'd be called a legend, mate. Fascinating stuff, as I'd say 70% of my pro-wrestling diet is devouring written wrestling history. Thanks for sharing your efforts and I hope you enjoy the book.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 3:30 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

Sakaguchi was the president of New Japan at the time. He has a sterling reputation as New Japan president. He basically cleaned up the financial mess the company was in. He learned bookkeeping, mortgaged his own house, gained the trust of financial institutions, and began paying off the debt that occurred under Inoki. He also had a strong relationship with TV Asahi. So strong, in fact, that they didn't reduce New Japan's broadcast spot until after Sakaguchi retired as president. 

On 4/15/2021 at 1:30 AM, KinchStalker said:

The bio says he returned to the States in summer 1985. He was already married to Betty Niccoli I believe, and I seem to recall reading some claim that he did a bit of booking in Memphis or somewhere around this time. Vince hired him, as earlier written, to spearhead his vague plans for Japanese expansion.