Pro Wrestling Only

Shinjiro Otani Hospitalized Following Serious Injury At ZERO1 Event

The Thread Killer

Via 411:

Japanese legend Shinjiro Otani has been hospitalized after he was stretchered out of the ring from a serious injury at Pro Wrestling ZERO1’s Sunday show.  BBM Sports in Japan reports that the main event of the show saw Otani facing Takashi Sugiura for the latter’s ZERO1 World Heavyweight Championshp. During the match, Otani took a German suplex into the turnbuckle that rendered Otani unable to move. The match was stopped and Otani was stretchered from the ring and taken to the hospital.

Tokyo Sports spoke with the match’s referee, Katsumi Sasazaki, who said, “He was conscious. He could hear [his own] voice and he could clearly see where he was. However, he complained that he couldn’t move his hands and that he couldn’t move, and he said, ‘I can’t feel my hands.'”

Otani is believed to have suffered a cervical spine injury.

Man this is horrible, Otani's been a favorite of mine ever since he was the first WCW cruiserweight champ. 

Wrestling really needs to stop with the moves to the turnbuckle already. Every time I see one they're just daring something like this to happen.

2 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Man this is horrible, Otani's been a favorite of mine ever since he was the first WCW cruiserweight champ. 

Wrestling really needs to stop with the moves to the turnbuckle already. Every time I see one they're just daring something like this to happen.

I don’t know about you @sek69 but he was one of the first Puro guys I was exposed to back when I started buying tapes in 99. First tape I ever got was Super J Cup 94, and there he was. Then I saw him in J Cup 95, he was all over the best NJPW Juniors stuff, then I saw him in Zero 1, he even popped up in NOAH and of course Hustle.  Before my taste changed to Shoot Style and eventually King’s Road, he was one of my favourites for sure.

Hayabusa, Misawa, Takayama and now Otani. All my favourites from my early days as a fan are crippled or worse. Tragic as hell and goes to show what that insane style can do, especially if you stay with it too long. I hope he’s going to be okay but right now it doesn’t sound good. ☹️