Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-02-19-AAA] El Hijo del Santo, Octagon & La Parka vs Eddy Guerrero, Psicosis & El Santo Negro

Calvin

Dave loved this apparently, so I added it to my watchlist. It's fine. If you're into testicular psychology, lucha libre style, then maybe this is for you. It was a little too messy for me. I did love El Hijo del Santo's big comeback in the finishing run, though. He had the crowd roaring.

**1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1995-02-19-AAA] El Hijo del Santo, Octagon & La Parka vs Eddy Guerrero, Psicosis & El Santo Negro
  • 5 months later...

Santo has to fend off his three biggest rivals at the time. I love matches like that. It really stuck at the end of the first fall, when Guerrero superplexed him, Psicosis hit him with a senton and Santo Negro made him submit to a trademark Santo sequence. This wasn't one of the wildest, most violent wars of the 1990s or anything, but it was structured a lot more like a classic brawl than most of the praised 1995 AAA. Instead of running the ropes the rudos just focused on clearing the ring and tearing up Santo's mask, and man did they tear it up. He spent much of the second fall lying on the floor with his head under the ring before eventually running to the back to get a new one. It's an interesting way to make a wrestler look helpless. He took forever to find one, so Octagon and Park had to make a pretty good two on three comeback and actually got some good shots in for a while. The numbers caught up to them eventually, but then Santo came charging out from the back and kicked all three rudos' asses. Kind of surprising that they'd save his big comeback for after the tecnicos had already tied the match. Anyway, not one of the most insane brawls ever, but it hit the plot points that I wanted out of it, and there were a lot of good visuals of battered tecnicos on the outside. Plus it was a chance to see Espanto Jr. lead a rudo team against his archenemy, not something that we fans from the 2020s have gotten much of from the surviving videos.