Pro Wrestling Only

[1977-03-07-WWWF-MSG] Bruno Sammartino vs Ken Patera

Superstar Sleeze

WWWF Heavyweight Champion Bruno Sammartino vs Ken Patera - WWF MSG 3/7/77, Special Referee: Gorilla Monsoon

Unfortunately, we do not have the February Match but we do have this gem. One poster said this is the best Bruno singles match on tape. I do prefer the Bruno/Hansen Cage Match and some of the Superstar matches but this is a dandy. Probably my favorite Kenny P singles as I liked some of his AWA tags more. Bruno has two more titles defenses in the Garden against surprising challenger Baron Von Raschke, a unique AWA crossover opponent. 

I thought this really built on the strong foundation of the January match. I liked that they started with a more traditional shine. Bruno combines boxing and speed to send Patera powdering and stymieing him at every pass. I just find the over the top style of Superstar Graham more entertaining than Patera. Patera looks to have openings on a head knocking collision or on a press to the ring. Bruno thwarts him with a mule kick from his back. Patera finally makes in-roads with a headlock which looks impressive with his massive arms. Bodyslams ensue as Bruno tries to battle back. Then the dreaded Bearhug. They roll around on the mat each getting near falls whilst Patera maintains the clench of the Bearhug. They roll into the ropes and Monsoon breaks it up. Bruno crawls away clutching his back while Patera hits a nasty elbow drop right on the back. Back to the Bearhug! Bruno headbutts out! Bruno tries to fire up but a butt to the breadbasket looks to set up the dreaded Full Nelson as Patera looks Bruno fires back! Great use of the Full Nelson to generate drama and spur on the Bruno comeback. It is all Bruno down the stretch slamming Patera’s head into the turnbuckle to bust him open. Patera gives a valiant effort but he is swinging at air. Bruno tees off but Patera is out on his feet not defending himself and Monsoon calls the match. 

Great Bruno shine, I enjoyed the heat segment around the Bearhug and threat of Full Nelson. A great WWF fuck finish. I’m a hallway camper. ****

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1977-03-07-WWWF-MSG] Bruno Sammartino vs Ken Patera