Pro Wrestling Only

[2024-01-04-NJPW-Wrestle Kingdom 18] Bryan Danielson vs Kazuchika Okada

This was beautiful. Bryan is out for revenge after he broke his arm in their first meeting, and the agenda is clear. He wants an eye for an eye. He goes after Okada's arm ruthlessly in the most vicious ways you could imagine; he stretches it with violent intentions, he kicks the shit out of it (his kicks seriously looked more vicious than usual), slams it around. It's the American Dragon special & he is doing it to the face of the company at their biggest show of the year. Saying it's a beautiful sight would be an understatement. When I was an angry teenager my big complaint about big Okada matches was that it always felt like the work before the finishing stretch felt like hollow filler, but here the work before the (excellent btw) finishing stretch was my favorite wrestler of all-time punishing the shit out of him while Okada himself delivers one of his finest selling performances? I mean come on. The post-match was absolutely amazing too. Felt big just like the match did. There is nothing like a classic match at the Tokyo Dome, and The Rainmaker vs. The American Dragon was a classic at the Tokyo Dome. ****3/4

This moment was extraordinary, witnessing two legends colliding once more. Bryan's masterful storytelling unfolded as he strategically targeted Okada's main strength, relentlessly assaulting his right arm. Aware that a Rainmaker from Okada could spell defeat, Bryan executed a brilliant game plan. Okada, resilient and fighting from a disadvantaged position, showcased exceptional selling and delivered punishing blows during this intense phase of his storied career, creating a truly outstanding narrative. 

It'll be very easy to overrate this because of the two wrestlers in it, the arena and based on the fact that it’s actually good unlike many dream matches. In fact, their first match wasn't very good, due to injuries amongst other things. However, I thought this was a great match. Danielson working the arm was very compelling. Strong storytelling and great wrestling to boot. Danielson doing submissions can vary from interesting to boring and this is the former. He crafted some wonderful submission sequences and would occasionally throw a disgusting kick to the bicep. Danielson was doing some of his best work in that regard. He was excellent. Okada sold very well and helped enhance those submissions by doing so. Okada attempted to tell a story with Danielson's eye in return, but he lacked the aggression and follow through. It was a nice idea though, and Danielson did a good job at selling it himself. The closing stretch focused more on the rainmaker being hit (and a pin attempt to follow) than whether it'll get the three which is refreshing. And a preferable way to end the match, although they could've milked it a little longer. But enough of that, the faults are very little. And the highs are terrific. A strong MOTYC. ****1/4