Pro Wrestling Only

Bruno Sammartino v. Superstar Billy Graham

Marty

I remember one time on Wrestling Observer Live how Dave Meltzer once compared Chris Jericho's transitional title reign to that of Superstar Billy Graham's. If anything, the match that Graham won the title kind of showed that, as while he may have won the title from a WWWF legend, that same legend was beating him in many ways, so much that the only way Graham could win was via a fluke.

The story of this match is very simple: Whatever Graham could do, Sammartino could also do, sometimes quite better, and he could also do things that Graham can't do. Graham has most of the edge for the match, but Sammartino is able to match Graham's offense with the very same offense. It's hard to say if Graham, in his most famous match, is being outperformed here. He isn't dominating, but he does have control of most of the match, but Sammartino's offense seems far more inspired, as if the younger challenger will have to do a lot more than his normal strategy to beat the wily veteran.

Examples of this are the lock-up shoves, the test of strength and the eventual bearhug spot done later in the match. In every case, Graham succeeds, but Sammartino is still able to fight back, enough for Graham to re-think his strategy. Even when Graham switches to rule-breaking, Sammartino fights back with the same method, not with the same levels, but enough to again give Graham a test of his own medicine.

The point being is that Sammartino won't be beat easily, so the only opportunity for Graham to win is by luck, and he does that with his feet on the ropes. Maybe in the context of the match, it works, but it's easy to look back and feel that Vince Sr. really had no real long-term plans for Graham as champ. It's weird saying that, considering the 10-month reign he had is the equivalent of what JBL's was, which shows how times change in that sense. It's also strange how, in Graham's most famous match, it was never really shown how he changed wrestling aside from a few posing celebrations. Graham will always have a legacy. It's interesting how his legacy isn't shown off in a match with his greatest crowning achievement, but due to Vince Sr.'s booking plans. The match itself is okay and the story is fine, but it's tough for it to be anywhere near great or good under these circumstances.

Rock on! Marty brings the content!

Good choice for a review. I do know for sure that the reason the belt was put on Graham was because Vince Sr felt he needed a year to get Backlund ready. Interesting how long-term the planning was then.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

I recommend a match these two had in the Gardens near the end of Billy's reign. It's shockingly strong.

The point being is that Sammartino won't be beat easily, so the only opportunity for Graham to win is by luck, and he does that with his feet on the ropes. Maybe in the context of the match, it works, but it's easy to look back and feel that Vince Sr. really had no real long-term plans for Graham as champ.

Fair points, but I think since Sammartino lost cleanly no more than maybe five times in 20 years, it can be forgiven.

Feet on the ropes doesn't bother me here, just because it's a heel tactic with a heel using his own resources to beat the face instead of relying on outside interference. That sort of finish was also still taboo in 1977.

Feet on the ropes doesn't bother me here, just because it's a heel tactic with a heel using his own resources to beat the face instead of relying on outside interference. That sort of finish was also still taboo in 1977.

That's true now that you mention it. I generally don't have a problem with it, 'cept that Sammartino came to come out of it look like the better man despite his era still fading away. But again, as been hammered home earlier, it's not like they wanted Graham to carry the company.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

I don't know how rematches between the two drew, but I know they had lots of 'em.

They usually drew very well, and I think their MSG rematches sold out.

Guest rob

I just saw the match from the Hall of Fame DVD. I was pretty disappointed, as it seemed too much like Graham didn't deserve to win the title. Obviously they didn't want Bruno to job clean to anybody at that point in time, but Graham didn't even get any solid offense in, like Marty mentioned above. I was hoping to see a somewhat more decisive win, the kind that would establish Graham was a national star, and I didn't see that. Then again, Graham was never known for being able to wrestle, nor was Bruno, so I guess it was kind of stupid to expect that much from them.