Pro Wrestling Only

RKO influencing the Hall of Fame?

Guest Steffie

Guest Steffie

'Cowboy' Bob Orton is being inducted into the Hall of Fame this year at Wrestlemania. Not to pull the rug out from under him, but I can't help how much of this is due to the Push of Randy Orton, his son. Honestly, Bob Orton was never really a major player in the WWE, he is more well known for breaking his arm and wearing a cast than anything else. He wasn't really as popular or as big as some of the other guys who have made it in, like a Junyard Dog, Jesse Ventura, or Big John Studd. He wasn't a major Champion and just kinda got lost in the shuffle for the most part. Yet somehow he is beating out alot of worthy candidates for a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Do you think a large reason he is getting in is because of Randy Orton? It is no suprise that the WWE has some sick obsession with Randy, and constantly refer to him as a 2nd generation superstar. Are they trying to make Ace 'Cowboy' Bob Orton out to be a bonafide HOF'er in attempt to boost Orton's own legacy. Is this a way for them to say 'Look at Orton's Dad!! he's in the Hall. Imagine what Randy will do!!'?

Maybe I'm just looking too deep into this, but I can't help but think if Randy didn't come along that the 'Cowboy' would not be getting into the Hall of Fame.

I absolutely think you're right. The HOF is not about honoring people who deserve it -- it's more about going on a hunt for whatever old-timers you can find that are still in good graces with the company. A true HOF should be for legends, but WWE's definition of legend seems to be "Retired wrestlers that we like". Hardly.

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0

Do you think a large reason he is getting in is because of Randy Orton?

Ice cold! Fire hot! Sky blue! Water... wet! Teeheehee!

Yeah, I'd say that's more than more than likely the case. <_<

A true HOF should be for legends, but WWE's definition of legend seems to be "Retired wrestlers that we like".

Well, it's kind of hard to induct someone into the hall of fame if they're alive and refuse the HOF, isn't it. How many people have they refused to honor to as opposed to those people themselves refusing the honor?

Guest Some Guy

Well, I'm just surprised that they haven't at least sent invitations out to Bruno, Austin, Rock, Hogan and Bret. Can you have a credible company HOF without them?

Vince had tried with Hogan, Bret, and Bruno. Bret and Bruno have said no and for some reason it seems to be a big problem for him to get Hogan in. I assume Hogan wants money or to win the world title at WM or something stupid.

It's too early for Austin and Rock. The Hall is about nostalgia, it's hard to get nostalgic about two years ago.

But all 5 should be in at some point. I expect Bret, Hogan, Austin, and Rock go go in in alive, I think they'll have to induct Bruno after he dies.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

My point was a good one, and the right one.

Fun fact: Half of the WM1 main event is being inducted into the 05 HOF, and all of those being inducted were in the first Wrestlemania.

Guest Some Guy

My point was a good one, and the right one.

Fun fact: Half of the WM1 main event is being inducted into the 05 HOF, and all of those being inducted were in the first Wrestlemania.

They only need Mr. T and Hogan and they have all the guys including the seconds (Orton and Snuka) and the Ref (Patterson) in, I imagine that they'll put Ali in at some point as well. I doubt Liberace, the Rockettes, and Billy Martin will get in, though.

Guest Cam Chaos

Well, I'm just surprised that they haven't at least sent invitations out to Bruno, Austin, Rock, Hogan and Bret. Can you have a credible company HOF without them?

Vince had tried with Hogan, Bret, and Bruno. Bret and Bruno have said no and for some reason it seems to be a big problem for him to get Hogan in. I assume Hogan wants money or to win the world title at WM or something stupid.

It's too early for Austin and Rock. The Hall is about nostalgia, it's hard to get nostalgic about two years ago.

But all 5 should be in at some point. I expect Bret, Hogan, Austin, and Rock go go in in alive, I think they'll have to induct Bruno after he dies.

I think Hogan doesn't want to go in the HOF because he doesn't consider himself completely retired. I think Bruno doesn't want to go in because he feels today's WWE is a joke and wants little to do with it in any way. Bret hasn't went in because I doubt the WWE would be 100% about him turning up at all.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I think at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter who's in or isn't in, because WWE's HOF is essentially a joke. It may have had legit intentions at first, but now there's no reason to take it so seriously. Is it really that big of an honor to be in a HOF with Pete Rose?

Guest Crucifixio Jones

Exactly. I don't even know why anyone would care. In a fake sport that's not even really considered a sport by it's participants any more but rather "sports entertainment" should it come as any surprise that it's HOF would also be a work?

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

It's fun to look at the psychology and psychosis of Vince McMahon. I don't know whether he is trying to enforce the greatness of Wrestlemania by the implication of all those involved in the event are Hall of Famers, or that the Hall of Famers were great because of being in the first Wrestlemania.