• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#17. The Nasty Boys Vs. Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne

Spring Stampede (4/17/94)

Insane No-DQ Streetfight that goes all over the place, not one second was in the ring. The announcers and cameramen are caught with their pants down at the unexpected craziness. The Nasty Boys were never known to pull back on a chairshot so stuff like actual pool sticks and tables were broken over Cactus's head. Never viewers may wonder what the big deal is, but for WCW this was awesome stuff in 94.

#16. Juventud Guerrera Vs. Blitzkreig

Spring Stampede (4/11/99)

Blitzkrieg picked the right name cause he came out of nowhere with his lightning quick and devastating aerial moves. Here he takes on Juvy and they turn another ho-hum regular match into the sleeper hit of 99.

#15. Juventud Guerrera, Hector Garza & Lizmark Jr. Vs. La Parka, Psicosis & Villano IV

Bash at the Beach (7/13/97)

I was always a fan of the lucha libre invasion in WCW and this was my favorite of them all. A non-stop crazy match, like a regular WCW lucha tag but on crack cocaine. Everything hit perfectly and the crowd really got into these WCW jabronis.

#14. Chris Benoit Vs. Dean Malenko

Hog Wild (8/11/96)

The Four Horsemen explode! Probably have this too high but I always liked it. Both guys had a fantastic 30 minute back and forth match while drunk bikers who got in free watched on. As Dusty mentioned, watch about for those Devilish women on the outside.

#13. The Midnight Express Vs. The Southern Boys

Great American Bash (7/7/90)

The Express defend the U.S. Tag title against the Wild Eyed Southern Boys. The Southern Boys were good but this is ALL the Midnight Express deciding to make them look like the greatest team in the promotion. Full of great action, great timing and memorable comedy spots. When they were in control could the Midnight Express not have a great match?

#12. Jushin Liger Vs. Brian Pillman

Superbrawl (2/29/92)

Viewers who go out and see this right now for the first time will say "What's the big deal?" Yeah it hasn't aged well, and even New Japan fans at the time wondered what all the fuss was about, but this match was awesome for it's time and helped kickstart the Cruserweight division in the United States. International superstar Liger won the new Crusierweight belt and this is Pillman's last chance to regain it for WCW before Liger heads back to Japan. The announcers really put this one over making both guys look great, which is why WWE's removal of Jesse Ventura's commentary is a mockery of a travesty of a sham of two crimes.

#11. Sting Vs. Cactus Jack

Beach Blast (Falls Count Anywhere - 6/20/92)

WCW's Cactus Jack is one of my favorites growing up and this was his best match. Sting's the World champ but the title's not on the line here. When they say no mats they meant NO MATS. Not even a sliver of padding is on the concrete and Cactus Jack spends the whole match doing stupid shit like sunset flips off the apron and backdrops on the ramp. Sting's game too taking and doing spots on the floor. I'm sure I'm the highest voter for this but I love this match.

#10. Ultimo Dragon Vs. Rey Misterio Jr

World War III (11/24/96)

Ultimo Dragon's defending his 8 Championship J Crown against Mysterio. Mysterio hold a victory over Ultimo back at Hog Wild so he's done it once before. Both guys have taken WCW by storm with their unique moves and this was a great opener for the PPV. Japan Vs. Mexico, who's cuisine will reign supreme?

#9. The Nasty Boys Vs. Cactus Jack & Kevin Sullivan

Slamboree (Streefight - 5/22/94)

Once again the Nasty Boy's defend their WCW World Tag title in a Falls Count Anywhere anything goes Streetfight. This was in Philly so they took it up a notch and the fans were going crazy throughout the entire match. Hockey star Dave Schultz was the special referee.

#8. Ric Flair Vs. Lex Luger

Starrcade (12/26/88)

Ric Flair defends the World title against Luger. Luger got robbed at the Bash when a trickle of blood caused the State Commission to stop the match. Now he gets his second shot at Space Mountain in the biggest show of the year. Plus due to Flair & The Horsemen's interferences, if Flair is DQ'ed Lugar WINS the belt! So it's put-up or shut-up time.

#7. Rey Misterio Jr. Vs. Psicosis

Bash at the Beach (7/7/96)

Psicosis and Mysterio take their traveling act to WCW. Awesome match with spots that are still jaw dropping today. WCW's Cruserweight division was really taking off and this match made new fans of these high flyers and the division. Best opening match ever?

#6. The 1992 Wargames

WrestleWar (5/17/92)

WARGAMES ROLE-CALL!:

Sting, Barry Windham, Dustin Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat and Nikita Koloff

Vs.

The Dangerous Alliance (Steve Austin, Rick Rude, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton and Larry Zbyszko)

Paul E. Dangerously and his Dangerous Alliance have been running over everyone in WCW. So a bunch of Alliance-haters formed a supergroup and challenged them to one of the most dangerous matches around: The Wargames. Two men enter, then a coin is flipped giving the winner an advantage. Every few minutes the teams take turns sending a fresh man into the cage. The catch is the match cannot end inside the two rings of cages, until all participants have entered the cage. So if you break a leg tough luck, your locked in there.

#5. Ric Flair Vs. Terry Funk

Clash of the Champions IX (I-Quit match - 11/15/89)

Flair and Funk had been feuding for months. Funk not only nearly broke Flair’s neck and took him out of wrestling forever, but even put a plastic bag around his neck and tried to suffocate him!! So they’ve decided on a end-all to any feud, an I-Quit match! Both men have too much pride to concede that the other man is better. Also, right before the match both guys decided to quit the NWA if they lose! A crazy historical brawl on free TV.

#4. Eddy Guerrero Vs. Rey Misterio Jr.

Halloween Havoc (Title Vs. Mask - 10/26/97)

Rey Mysterio finally gets his chance to win the WCW Crusierweight title, but he has to put his sacred mask on the line! Can Rey overcome the odds over Guerrero, who’s on an incredible hot streak? This is aerial moves galore. Guerrero just seems one step ahead at all times, but Rey refuses to surrender his mask!! He won’t stay down!! This is not only for himself, but for his family's wrestling legacy.

#3. Ric Flair Vs. Ricky Steamboat

WrestleWar (5/7/89)

Part 3 of their 1989 trilogy. Steamboat's still the NWA World champ. This is the rematch due to the controversy caused in their Clash of the Champions match. Is this Flair’s last chance to finally beat The Dragon? They build on some of the moves from their past matches much like the Dynamite Kid/Tiger mask series. Since the Clash match was so close and nearly went the distance, there’s a panel of judges outside to vote on the winner in case their’s a draw. This is a slower paced match of the trilogy likely because both guys know each other so well and don't want to make a mistake their opponent could capitalize on.

#2. Ric Flair Vs. Ricky Steamboat

Chi-Town Rumble (2/20/89)

Ric Flair was on top of the world. Despite tough defenses against Sting and Lex Lugar, he had managed to keep his World title for over a year. But during a tag team match, a mystery opponent pinned him clean in the ring. Who was it? Ricky Steamboat! Flair's own nemesis is back and gunning for the title. This is the first match of their classic 1989 trilogy. This one is less a chessmatch like future matches but a faster paced match. Look for Dave Meltzer marking out in the front row.

#1. Ric Flair Vs. Ricky Steamboat

Clash of the Champions VI (4/2/89)

Match #2 in the classic trilogy. This was shown free on TV head to head with Wrestlemania 5. That punk Steamboat got lucky but now Flair’s ready and hungry to regain the NWA World Championship, a belt he has basically owned for the last 8 years. Every fall tells a different story. Both guys are at their peak and may have been the two greatest wrestlers in the world at the time of this match. Both guys attitudes and lifestyles and complete opposites, but they're absolutely even in the ring. One mistake, that's all it'll take.

And there you have it. I ruined the Smarkshoice Greatest WCW matches of all time poll.

Yeah, see that makes me really believe that match is going to be number one overall. Even though I never considered it for one, I couldn't imagine leaving it outside a top twenty, and that seems to be a consensus view. I'm almost certain it will be the only match on every ballot and even if it tops off at four in a poll where the votes aren't weighted that very well might be enough.

This thread really gives you an idea of how broad the deviation is going to be. Without double checking everything, or giving away to many particulars from my own ballot, I know for a fact that both you and Floyd left matches off your ballots that were in the top ten on mine. I know that you had a match in the top five that didn't even make my top sixty. I know that Floyd rated my favorite Vader v. Sting match - and a match that I had in my top ten - lower than any other Vader v. Sting match on his ballot. I know that OJ had a couple of 92 tags in his top five. Granted we are four voters that may vary more than others, but that is a lot of variation.

Eddy v. Rey seems like the safest staple pick and the "stock" great match from the second half of the 90's. I think the fact that is is recognized as both the peak of cruiser wrestling by the cruiser fans and an island of excellence amidst the relative mediocrity by fans of the early 90s makes it sort of the compromise pick of sorts. Personally as much as I like the match, I think it will be odd if it finishes above things like WarGames 92 and Chi-Town Rumble though I can't really put my finger on why.

No way. I appreciate the variety. I had Eddy v. Rey in my top ten, but I really wonder if anyone else will have the match higher than you have it.

Completely agree. I loved the variety in the list. Consensus picks are boring! though it does look like the consensus is that there is actually no consensus!

One other thing going for Eddie vs Rey is that it is not hurt by having multiple matches from the series. Sure, they had a great match I hear on WCWSN but there are no multiple Clash of the Champions/PPV matches like Steamboat vs Flair. Steamboat vs Flair will get hurt a little by this.

• 1 month later...

- Added 1983 matches

I've been wasting my life watching old movies. Now I'll try wasting my life watching wrestling instead for awhile. That stupid WCW poll Ray ran took years off my life and I needed a break! :-P

Got a bunch of those kickass Schneider comps from Goodhelmet. Maybe I should, I dunno, WATCH them..

- Added 1983 matches

I've been wasting my life watching old movies. Now I'll try wasting my life watching wrestling instead for awhile. That stupid WCW poll Ray ran took years off my life and I needed a break! :-P

Got a bunch of those kickass Schneider comps from Goodhelmet. Maybe I should, I dunno, WATCH them..

Are you doing the ECW poll Floyd?

You can't escape us. :lol: :lol:

Floyd -- Wondering why his Shneider tapes are all full of Sabu, Steven Richards and Whipwreck matches....

• 4 weeks later...

PWT Top 100 Matches of All Time (v 2.0)

Not my own personal Top 100, but I was one of the 79 voters and thought the results were very good!

Disk #1:

#101. JWP Vs. AJW Thunderqueen Battle

(153pts / 6 votes)

JWP Thunder Queen Battle in Yokohoma (July 31st, 1993)

- Awesome inter-promotional tag match. The way it works is each team has 4 wrestlers. There are four 5 minutes singles matches to begin. Their like mini Iron-Women matches where each fall is counted and the match continues until the 5 minute mark. Then for the remaining 40 minuites, it turns into an eight women tag team match. Whichever team has the most wins in an hour are the winners. The singles matches were cool cause it had alike pairings and also established bruisers Aja Kong and Dynamite Kansai and the big matchup. For one hour there's never a dull moment. I have the "5-star fear" but what the heck: *****

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#100. The Rock Vs. Hulk Hogan

(153pts / 7 votes)

WWF Wrestlemania 18 (March 17th, 2002)

- It's Legend Vs. Legend! Icon Vs. Icon! Hogan was VERY prepared for this match cause he was sporting the massive tan. The actual wrestling in the match was OK. It went back and forth and both guys used each others move for big near falls. But the reason this is just a great match is the commentary and AWESOME crowd. Crowd is insanely super hot the entire match and 100% rooting for the heel Hulkster. Match goes about 17 minutes. ****

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#99. Jim Duggan Vs. Ted DiBiase (No DQ, Loser Leaves Town, Coal Miner's Glove on a Poll, Tuxedo, Cage match)

(154pts / 6 votes)

Mid-South (March 22nd, 1985)

- Short but bloody brawl to end their feud. Their locked in and Loser Leave Town so no more shenanigans! Duggan wears a white tux to get blood on it and DiBiase's in black cause he's such a heel. Crowds really into it. Intense match goes about 10 minutes. ****1/2

#98. Aja Kong Vs. Manami Toyota

(155pts / 5 votes)

All Japan Women Big Egg Wrestling Universe (November 20th, 1994)

- Great 1st round match in the one night tournament. Mammoth Aja Kong beats her down and twists Toyota's body in positions it's not supposed to go. Like many others I could do without the constant screaming but I persevered. Some crazy moves including two that could've been career-enders. The comeback is really exciting with the huge crowd getting really into it. Match went about 18 min. ****1/2

#97. Dean Malenko Vs. Eddie Guerrero (2/3 Falls)

(155pts / 6 votes)

ECW Arena (August 26th, 1995)

- The ECW crowd knew the Vanilla Midgets were going south but still gave them a classy sendooff. Plus Malenko proves not to be a mute giving a speech afterwards. Their feud finished up in a 2/3 Falls technical classic. Slow at points and might be boring for some, but I think it's pretty good. Match goes around 20 min. ***3/4

You watch Hoshino/Mask vs Hamada/Kobyashi from April 1983 yet? Such a fun match and way better than DK/Tiger.

No afraid I haven't, thanks for the suggestion! If its the same match as:

Tiger Mask & Kantaro Hoshino vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi & Gran Hamada (2/10/83)

Then Im almost there in the DVDVR set!

• 1 month later...

Finally moved and now with the break I'm Catching up on 2009.

I'm running a Best of 2009 poll on another forum so I'm trying to catch up with 2009 matches.

Any suggestions to what I should check out is appreciated!

Here's what Ive seen so far!:

Dec 2008 (Since it's eligible in the voting)

Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Kotaro Suzuki Vs. KENTA & Taiji Ishimori (NOAH - 12/7/08) - Typically Fun NOAH Jr. match but nothing special. ***3/4

Nigel McGuinness Vs. Naomichi Marufuji (ROH - 12/27/08) - Didnt get into this as much as others. McGuiness defends the title. ***1/2

Bryan Danielson Vs. Takeshi Morishima (ROH No-DQ - 12/27/08) - Intense finish to their classic series! ****1/2

Jan 2009:

Shinsuke Nakamura & Hirooki Goto Vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Takashi Sugiura (NJ - 1/4/09) - Fun mostly due to a hot crowd. ***3/4

Keiji Mutoh Vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJ - 1/4/09) - Featured 10,407 Dragon Screws. Actually Big Japan should have a 10,000 Dragon Screws Deathmatch. ***

Alex Shelly Vs. Chris Sabin (TNA - 1/11/09) Tournament finals. Tag partners fight over the title. ***3/4

Kurt Angle Vs. Jeff Jarrett (TNA No-DQ - 1/11/09) Loser gets Karen Angle match. ****

Shawn Michaels Vs. John Cena (WWE Raw - 1/12/09) Alot better than I expected, went over 20 minutes too.. The camera showed more of JBL standing at ringside expressionless than on the match. ***1/2

Jimmy Jacobs Vs. Austin Aries (ROH I-Quit match - Taped 11/22/08 - Aired 1/16/09) - I didn't get into this as much as others. Blow off to Lacy angle. ***1/2

Nigel McGuinness Vs. Bryan Danielson (ROH - Taped 11/22/08 - Aired 1/16/09) - Another awesome match from these two. ****1/2

KENTA Vs. Kotaro Suzuki (NOAH - 1/25/09) - Suzuki mistreats the ref and does the best blade job ever. ***3/4

The Colony Vs. Osirian Portal (Chikara - 1/25/09) - Fun spotfest but nothing special. ***1/2