Pro Wrestling Only

King of the Ring

Guest Some Guy

Guest Some Guy

I think they should, but not on PPV. Raw has no Feb. PPV and doing a one night tourney on free TV could be cool and help elevate some guys. If a SD! wins the Rumble then the winner of the KotR would get the title shot at WM and a Raw guy wins then the winner gets the prestige of winning, I guess. IF you look at the winners of the KotR you have Austin, Bret, HHH, Brock, Owen, and Angle who all went onto the title or in Owen's case a title match and success. Mabel, Gunn, Edge, and Shamrock are really the only guys who didn't get elevated or succeed in Mabel's case after winning.

The night after the Rumble, I'd have them start with qualifying matches and build up to a Raw in late Feb were they'd have the tourney with the winner needing to win 3 matches. Have a short Double DQ to give a heel a bye to save time but make sure the winner has three long (10-20 minute) matches that he wins cleanly. I figure that Raw has about 100 minutes of air time minus commercials and some of the matches would have breaks in them, minus 20 minutes for HHH and you've got 80 minutes to do intros, short promos, and the matches.

If they were doing it this year, I'd set it up like this:

1st round:

Kane/Snitsky - quick Double DQ (3 minutes)

Christian/Tajiri - Chistian wins with the Unprettier. (8 minutes)

Benoit/Hassan - Benoit with the Crossface (6 minutes)

Shelton/Jericho - Shelton with the goofy slam he uses (10 minutes)

2nd Round:

Christian gets a bye

Shelton/Benoit - Shelton with the slam (20 minutes)

Finals:

Shelton/Christian - Shelton with the slam (12 minutes)

I think it would get the winner over and as long as they gave him a push to follow up it would work. I went with Christian in the finals so it would be heel/face after Shelton had two face matches.

Any thoughts?

I always thought KOTR had a ton of potential, but they never really used it to its fullest, so in that sense, it didn't make much difference when they scrapped it. I think back to 2000, and how with the talent involved in the tournament, it should have been one of the best single nights ever for the company, but they jobbed out all the talented guys in the first round. I'd love to see it come back, but only if they do it right.

Guest The Metal Maniac

I'd like to see them bring back KotR, and do it in a Raw vs SD sense; like, Raw sends over 4 guys, SD sends over 4 guys, and they see who wins out.

The thing is though, I think it'd have to be FOR something, as opposed to just the glory of winning, but I don't know what.

Guest The Man in Blak

I always thought it would have been cool to use it as a staging ground for the SummerSlam World Title match (much like Royal Rumble is for Wrestlemania). Spread it out on the Raw/Smackdown shows and build other matches on the SS card from it (an upset in an early round, somebody costs somebody a win in the tournament, etc.)

Guest The Metal Maniac

Didn't they eventually declare that the winner of the KotR got the title shot at Summerslam?

I could be wrong, but I think that's how Brock got his shot.

Guest Some Guy

I'd like to see them bring back KotR, and do it in a Raw vs SD sense; like, Raw sends over 4 guys, SD sends over 4 guys, and they see who wins out.

The thing is though, I think it'd have to be FOR something, as opposed to just the glory of winning, but I don't know what.

I couldn't think of what the winner would get either if the title shot at Mania wasn't an option.

Didn't they eventually declare that the winner of the KotR got the title shot at Summerslam?

I could be wrong, but I think that's how Brock got his shot.

Owen, Mabel, Angle (3 way with HHH and Rock), and Brock all got title shots at Summerslam the year they won the KotR. I think it was only a stipulation in Mabel and Brock's wins though and the other guys just got title shots.

I always thought KOTR had a ton of potential, but they never really used it to its fullest, so in that sense, it didn't make much difference when they scrapped it. I think back to 2000, and how with the talent involved in the tournament, it should have been one of the best single nights ever for the company, but they jobbed out all the talented guys in the first round. I'd love to see it come back, but only if they do it right.

I agree fully. In 2000 they had 3 guys who could/should have won in Benoit, Angle, and Jericho, with Rikishi being very over as well and Eddy being very talented but not ready for that type of push yet, but they booked the fucking thing horribly. Angle beat Crash Holly (who got a fluke win over Bull Buchanon) in the second round, Benoit was eliminated in the first, as was Jericho and Eddy.

If they really wanted to get Angle way over they should have had him beat Eddy, Jericho, and Benoit in three great 10-20 minute matches. But went with him over Jericho, Crash, and Rikishi. I could even see keeping Rikishi in the finals to show that Angle could beat big men.

The first one was the only one booked very well with Bret beating Razor, Perfect, and Bam Bam. He beat a beat bigger guy in Razor, a great worker in Hennig, and a monster in Bam Bam. It showed that he could beat three guys with different styles styles and size and he could do it all in one night. I could have done without the Luger/Tatanka 15 minute draw though.

WM 4 was much the same with Savage over Valentine, Butch Reed, One Man Gang, and DiBiase.

Guest The Metal Maniac

I couldn't think of what the winner would get either if the title shot at Mania wasn't an option.

Actually, it might make for an interesting angle if the winner got to pick any match, with anyone.

Like, they could pick a match with the champ if they wanted, or they could pick a match with someone they were feuding with, or anyone else. Plus, they'd get to pick the stipulations for the match. I think you could book some interesting things around that, and you could easily find 8 guys who'd have a reason to want the ability to book their own match at the next big show.

I've had an idea I've been kicking around. Use the King of the Ring to build up house shows. Have each brand run separate round robin tournaments, with the matches occuring on the house shows. Run highlights, results, and standings on the weekly telecasts. And then at the June PPV, have the two best Raw wrestlers face off (ditto the Smackdown guys), with the winners competing in the Finals.

How about the winner of the King of the Ring (KotR) gets #30 in the Royal Rumble (RR)? WWE seem hell bent on giving away the number every year, and at least it would add some advanced booking to the shows.

It'd almost be like a #1 contender status as they'd more than likely have to defend it. Like, at Summerslam (SS) if the winner of the KotR lost to Wrestler X, Wrestler X would become #30 in the RR.

I don't know. It's like, I think the winner of the KotR shouldn't get a title shot at SS because that eliminates the possibility of a midcarder winning the KotR. On the other hand, if they win the KotR, being #30 in the RR doesn't guarantee that you'll even get anything for your KotR win. You could win the KotR and then just get tossed out of the RR and go home empty handed.

It'd be a great way to get over a heel that throws tantrums or complains a lot. Like Edge's current character. How he always talks about being screwed over. Or Christian's old character.

Maybe #30 in the RR, #2 Contendership and a trophy? It'd be a great way for WWE to reincorporate some sort of ranking system. The KotR would only be open to wrestlers whom weren't the current champion or ranked #1? Trophies could add a little bit more legitimacy to the "sport."

Winning the tournament should be a big deal, but it shouldn't be too obvious who's going to win it. When you have someone like Brock Lesnar in the match, you know what the outcome it going to be. You know he's going on to SS and winning the title. With my proposed idea, someone like The Hurricane could win it. They'd get ranked #2, which could put them into a feud, and you wouldn't have to worry about giving away #30 in the RR later. It's not like The Hurricane would have to win the RR.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Giving the KOTR winner the number 30 slot at the RR probably wouldn't work for a couple of reasons. In this day and age of next to no continuity, I can't imagine them running with an idea that would span six months.

Getting #30 wouldn't be much of an incentive, anyway, since no one who's ever gotten the number has actually won the Rumble. Logic says the later the better, but seeing as how no #30 entry in the Rumble has ever won, it'd be a pretty weak reward for winning the tournament.

I was sad to see it go in 2003, but it's true that it was rarely used properly. The last couple of years, it seemed built to create or solidify the next big superstar. Angle and Brock were already on their way to doing so without the tourney's help and then you had guys like Billy Gunn and Edge winning. Gunn was never worth the effort and Edge wound up doing little after he won the tournament.