Pro Wrestling Only

Some 1990 WCW thoughts

Victator

I downloaded this 1990 NWA/WCW Pro compilation and have been watching it each night. Thought I could share my thoughts and maybe start some discussion.

First few matches are squashes and really shows why I prefer WWF squashes to WCW. WWF squashes are straight ass kicking unless it is a higher up jobber. WCW tries to give the pretense of competition and it is not fun.

Lex Luger vs Barry Horowitz

This was a mess with the Horsemen and the Dudes with Attitude coming to ringside. Junkyard Dog looked so uninterested in everything. Like he did not even know why he was in the ring.

Rock n' Roll Express vs Doom

This was a good match. Not quite as good as the GAB 90 match. Not much to say but Doom did a good job working over the Morton and Gibson and the RnR timed their comebacks well. . For some reason The World Tag team Champions could not beat the RnR Express. Even though the Horsemen was getting cleanish wins over them in February. Actually win was Flair removed as head booker? Maybe that is what changed.

The Fabulous Freebirds vs The Southern Boys

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgjglt_fr...s-nwa-pro_sport

This is a great match. It is the first in a best of 3 for a Southern tag trophy so that means at least a decisive finish. The Southern Boys were super over. I almost think they were sabotaged with the gimmick change to the Young Pistols. The Freebords were different too a year later. Can't put my finger on it but they lacked the energy they had a year before.

I think this could be better than the Midnights match from GAB 90.

Mean Mark Callous vs Wildfire Tommy Rich

Mean Mark was set to or had just wrestled Lex Luger at the ppv yet he could not get a win over Tommy Rich. Why was WCW so afraid of doing any sort of clean finish? Taker already shows he potential to be a superstar. No surprised the WWF snatched him up. Tommy Rich did look good here too. He was perfect for his spot. A good solid guy to put in the under card and have good matches. Like I said they did some sorta double count out where nobody looked good.

Candyman Brad Armstrong vs Barry Windham

This a good match with Barry looking great and Brad Armstrong looking good despite being dressed like a candy cane. I mean candy man is not a bad nickname but why the striped tight? Or at least put him in a peppermint mask. Anyway this match actually has a finish with Barry holding the ropes on an attempted sunset flip.

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson & Sid Vicious vs Very Unfortunate Jobbers

One of the jobbers is Bob Holly and nnother is a Batten twin. I finally figured out why Sid did not work as a Horsemen. He was suppose to be the upstart but he looks like a monster and hurt Arn's role as the Enforcer. Another appearance by the Dudes after the Horsemen keep beating on the jobbers after the bell.

Rock n' Roll Express vs The Midnight Express

They are going thru the motions here. But Midnights and RnRs going thru the motions is still really good.

Sting vs Keith Hart

Sting has just won the belt. I don't think he was ready to be champion yet. They probably shoulda had Luger beat Flair and Sting win the US title.

Barry Windham vs Lex Luger

Barry Windham was back in WCW for at least six months without any type of angle or feud. Even when he got one he was just taking Flair's place in the feud with Doom. Just pointing this out since Barry is the best worker in the company. Him and Luger have a good match. Neither guy gets an advantage but good back and forth with Lex winning narrowly by a count out. Luger seems like the man at this point. I think Flair probably did feel threatened by Lex.

1990 WCW reminds me of 2001 WWF. The booking is terrible but the roster is so talented the shows are still good.

Rock n' Roll Express vs Doom

This was a good match. Not quite as good as the GAB 90 match. Not much to say but Doom did a good job working over the Morton and Gibson and the RnR timed their comebacks well. . For some reason The World Tag team Champions could not beat the RnR Express. Even though the Horsemen was getting cleanish wins over them in February. Actually win was Flair removed as head booker? Maybe that is what changed.

The Rock & Rolls didn't have contracts yet in February, which was probably part of the reason they did more jobs early on. But yes, by this time Ole had replaced Flair. There was actually a gap between the time Flair stopped and Ole started where I am not really sure who was in charge.