Pro Wrestling Only

WON Awards for 2011

KrisZ

"Inexplicable" because they have the same access to the older stuff, which is seemingly going ignored much of the time (as is other stuff like current Lucha Libre), and because you have stuff like Alan being obsessively passionate (registering at other forums to beg people to vote up Dragon Gate matches in the best of the year threads in Purotopia at DVDVR).

Bix going back to this what forums has Alan4L registered to just to shill DG? All I have ever seen him on is F4W, DVDR and CZWFans all of which he has been for years probably even pre his DG fandom.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the term "lucharesu" is dead, I take it...?

I don't know if the term lucharesu is dead, the style certainly isn't.

This is kind of the point I always make about Gan Hamada as a HOF candidate: lucharesu is the most dominant juniors style in Japan today.

The puroresu junior style that Lyger, Benoit, Ohtani, El Smaurai or even a luchador like Dr Wagner did in Japan, has been supplanted by the style of the trainees of Hamada's trainees.

Yes, but generally I've found that people online who were heavily into Dragon Gate were actually the most vitriolic about disliking Lucha.

I'm not sure about that... surely the most anti-Lucha brigade are the ultra-dismissive "they're all just gymnasts" crowd? I'd find it hard to imagine them not thinking the same of Dragon Gate, for the same reasons you said (and, perhaps, for others too...).

There always has been some element of the lucharesu IWC fandom that has pimped lucharesu as “lucha done right”; lucha sans the “B.S. of lucha” or “The Mexicans”. Functional equivelant of Clapton fans who like him because he does the blues “right”= without the attention to rhythm, the non-standardized tunings or the colored folk. As lucharesu has become the dominant Japanese juniors style, the "lucha has no psychology" anti-lucha vitiol has become a bigger part of the IWC pro-lucharesu meme.

We have banned a couple pro-National Front Dragon's Gate fans from the DVDVR. But I have never heard anyone on the Figure Four website quote Enoch Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech or anything, so I won't blame Brits/Western European racism for the increase in vitriol.