Pro Wrestling Only

Austin vs. Rock at Mania X-7

Guest Col. Da Bears

Guest Rob Naylor

I don't know if it's the "Rock Fever" of late with his comeback.... but holy shit was the Rock the fucking man. Dude was beyond underrated in the ring (I know, kinda stating the obvious). I think Rock shits all over Cena in every conceivable way.

Anywho.... Austin vs. Rock at Mania 17 is so fucking good. I loved that it was kickout Mania at the end, cause the finish of Austin just wearing the Rock the fuck out with a steel chair to finally get the 1,2,3 with his heel turn is just so memorable. Austin's "Disturb'd" music post-match added to the vibe as well.

I think between the crowd, the match itself, the closing run of nearfalls and the gross beatdown finish.... as well as the postmatch angle with Vince... it's among the best matches in WWF history for sure.

What's the concensus around here?

Guest Rob Naylor

19 was pretty epic too. I'll agree on that. Love both matches, but really think the added stuff gives 17 the nod.

I don't like the Mania 15(?) Philly Rock vs. Austin match. It's weird too... since I think it's probably the "smartest" match they had, with the first stunner of the match winning it for Austin. But still, I dig overkill more than most too!

My other favorite Rock vs. Austin match is the one they had the day after the Survivor Series 1998 (I think). The one where they did a show opening Rock promo/heel turn... it just led to the some of the most nuclear heat to a match I've ever seen. I even dug the non-finish.

Agreed on the RAW match. I think that was one of the most watched matches of that era too.

Austin vs Rock at Backlash is really awesome too. I think it was the first match where Rock stood out to me as a wrestler in a big way. It had less of the overdone ref bumps than Wrestlemania too.

Not sure how I'd rank them all, but aside from maybe WM 15, I'm not sure I'd say I disliked any of them.

I like 19 better but 17 is still a great match. My big beef with 17 is the fact that I hate the finish even if it does make sense in the context of the match and within the storyline. I just hated to see Austin turn that way in Texas and I thought the chairshots came off as overkillish and actually a weak way to end the match. Obviously I am in the minority on that.

I also I love Rock and think he is pretty much the ultimate big match wrestler in WWF/E history, but I wouldn't rate him above Cena when it comes to selling and I don't think he ever had a run as impressive as Cena 06/07. As an overall act he destroys Cena of course

Guest Rob Naylor

I think we just had a thread on this match recently... someone probably remembers it better than I do and can point Rob to it. :)

John

Oops. Just saw it. Someone can blend the two topics if they'd like. My bad!