Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Chief Jay Strongbow

Ricky Jackson

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-sto...bow-passes-away

Just read this. He was from a different era, but for some reason I like watching some of his 70s matches, especially for his comebacks. I know he isn't very highly regarded as a worker, but he was a pretty big star in 70s New York. Plus he wrestled a dude in a shark cage once. :) The feathers in the mouth angle with Ladd from Georgia is also good (based on the more famous, and lost, angle with Arion in 74).

RIP Chief

Posted Image

So I was able to read part 1 of Dave's bio. He writes that the angle in WWF where Valentine broke Strongbow's leg in 79 came BEFORE and inspired the angle in Mid-Atlantic where Valentine broke McDaniel's leg (the famous "I Broke Wahoo's Leg" T-Shirt angle). I thought it was the other way around. Wasn't it?

Dave also writes that Strongbow was involved in Tatanka's introduction to WWF "in 1994". Besides being off by two years, I think he was confused with an angle involving Strongbow and McDaniel where they awarded Tatanka a ceremonial headdress which led to some heel (can't remember, was it Bigelow?) attacking them. Was Strongbow involved in Tatanka's introduction in 1992?

Now that you mention it, there almost seems to be a reoccuring theme of racism associated with Valentine's late-70s/early-80s character. Besides Strongbow and McDaniel, he also feuded and did injury angles with Pedro Morales and Tito Santana. He had a mini-feud with Tony Atlas in 1982. He also turns up randomly during a promo segment with Slaughter and Kernodle during their famous feud with Steamboat and Youngblood and delivers a "slant eyes" comment about Steamboat.

Of course you could say there was a reoccuring theme of racism associated with ALL of wrestling back then, so maybe it really isn't that noteworthy.