Pro Wrestling Only

Anderson Silva vs Stephan Bonnar

Eduardo

So Jose Aldo got his foot injured via motorcycle accident, and had to pull out of his title fight with Frankie Edgar. The best they could come up with was Silva to fight Bonnar?!?! The reaction online is already strongly negative and Dana's going to go insane trying to justify such a one sided fight. Nothing against Bonnar, he uses "exactamundo" in a non-ironic and genuine way, also he's done better since losing to old man Coleman, but this is really terrible match making. I like Snowden's take.

Snowden (evilclown):

People defending this #UFC 153 main event kill me. This would be like Floyd Mayweather announcing his next fight is against Kermit Cintron.

Even the UFC commentator for Mexico, Mario Davila, who did play by play for the last few years is putting it down.

Silva vs Bonnar no me gusta nada

Except that it's not a title fight. It's Silva moving up in weight class and fighting on short notice. Through that prism, I think it'll be a fun fight and have yet to see any real reasoning against it other than "why can't they do [insert impossible scenario of x vs y] instead? I would like that better".

EDIT: Ben Fowlkes wrote a good article on the match-up and the difference between Bonnar-Silva and Jones-Belfort here: http://mmajunkie.com/news/30612/the-differ...the-details.mma

I like Ben Fowlkes, big fan of his actually (probably my favorite features writer in MMA), but the idea of the greatest fighter in the history of the sport fighting a guy that has produced mediocre results in the UFC is pretty lame. Don't know what UFC can do or what other other options they've had, but it looks bad if the best they can do is Silva vs Bonnar.

You see and hear Dana White & UFC giving shit to fighters outside the UFC, other promotions, or boxing cards for doing similar fights. So I don't know why people don't expect the same criticism towards a fight like this, when UFC does it. Dana was talking shit about squash matches on Strikeforce, not too long ago, and this is exactly that. Not saying it won't be entertaining seeing Silva destroy Bonnar, but it's pretty pointless. People give shit to Mayweather and Pacquiao for not fighting one another, but neither one has ever taken on a guy that is as low as Bonnar's level, even if he was bigger.

For the Pac-Mayweather comparison to work, you'd have to have Pac-Marquez IV lined up, have Manny get hurt in training and then have Mayweather to agree to step in instead and face someone like Chad Dawson on a month's notice.

I'm shocked that not even a month removed from Jonesgate that people think UFC can pull a superfight out of their ass on a moment's notice.

• 1 month later...

The comments section is pretty funny.

My favorite:

I don't disagree

He eventually hired an editor for The Wrestling Observer industry newsletter only after a couple decades of publication when circulation was north of 50,000. He definitely could use someone to proof his online articles imo.

This is Romney Math:

50K * $118 per year = $5,900,000

Ummm... you think Dave would be giving a shit about writing for Yahoo or SBNation is he was grossing $6M a year off the WON?

John