Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #45

The biggest criticism I can make of Arn as a worker in the 90s (and I don't know that this applies in the 80s) is that he cuts a promo where he promises a doomsday scenario for his opponents -- talks of broken bones, hospitals and even morgues -- then works matches that are really solid and enjoyable, but are completely lacking the sense of danger he promised in his interview. I don't feel like his promos adequately set the tone for his matches, even though he's great at both. He was incredible cutting promos in the build for War Games '96, then worked a completely by-the-numbers match once he got in the cage. I wish he backed up what he said a little more.

You couldnt have thought the way I think about Arn in the 90's any better....he used that same Horsemen style 1980's tone but didnt even come close to following it up....

In the 80's he'd say "Dont be caught alone.." and then kick the shit outta Magnum in the locker room. and on and on..

In the 90s, he'd say the same things and have a 15 min draw with Regal in what is a good wrestling match, but not the end of the career type match he'd talk about...

I really thought I was the only one that saw that in him in the 90's...

The biggest criticism I can make of Arn as a worker in the 90s (and I don't know that this applies in the 80s) is that he cuts a promo where he promises a doomsday scenario for his opponents -- talks of broken bones, hospitals and even morgues -- then works matches that are really solid and enjoyable, but are completely lacking the sense of danger he promised in his interview. I don't feel like his promos adequately set the tone for his matches, even though he's great at both. He was incredible cutting promos in the build for War Games '96, then worked a completely by-the-numbers match once he got in the cage. I wish he backed up what he said a little more.

Never really thought much about this because Arn's in ring work was for the most part so solid that it gets a pass, but this is completely spot on.