Pro Wrestling Only

GFOAT

Grimmas

For the time they wrestled, Yokota was so far above her contemporaries that it was a lot like the best in other sports (Jordan, Bonds, Rice). They were just so much better than anyone else that they looked even greater than when compared to greats across time.

My perfect analogy is the 8/22/85 show, AJW's best show of the 80s for some, and while many put the Nagayo/Devil match as the match of the night, Yokota took the greener Lioness Asuka and crafted a fucking masterpiece. Everything was smooth as silk, made sense...it was incredible stuff.

So if Yokota is the best of her generation, and you go along the lines with Chigusa, Bull, Hokuto, Ozaki, Aja, Kansai (?), Toyota, and Meiko, do any of the other eight shine brighter than their contemporaries like Jaguar did?

I can see a case for Chigusa, as she basically owned the later half of the 80s. Bull ruled for the majority of the early half of the 90s before giving way to Aja completely, who then gave way to Toyota. But around that time, you had Hokuto being the most unique wrestler of her era and putting on these incredibly emotional matches (many that stand the test of time today), Ozaki and Kansai as the best non-AJW wrestlers of that era, Toyota taking that go-go-go style to another level for better or worse...then Aja took over the scene again in many ways for GAEA, who then helped make Meiko that last great joshi wrestler. Hokuto's match with Meiko did so, as well.

Just by going through that timeline, I think you have Yokota as the clear front runner, followed by Chigusa and Aja. Hokuto is the wild card for a peak that was possibly the best out of any of the non-Jaguar candidates. Bull's longevity helps her, Toyota's polarizing style is really a love/hate thing...it's a very good topic. I think while probably the Top 5 is going to be some combination of no doubt candidates, making a Top 10 or Top 15 could make for some very interesting lists.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic